Wheel/Tire size upgrade for 18+ Regals

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Why not simply go to a local tire shop and ask them to try to fit 16" or 17" steelies?

Otherwise, as long as you're buying four wheels/tires the same size, and they don't rub and the offset isn't too outlandish, then the car won't know the difference...
Exactly. I’m going in next Friday to get my winter package installed. The guy at the shop had no issues and multiple size options showed up in his system. I verified my 17” diameter change is within 0.1” of factory so I should have zero issues.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Very nice... Could you shoot a close-up of the front wheel with the brake inside, showing clearance between the caliper and the inside of the wheel?
503D3C85-A8E3-4A73-A3FF-97202B4E6768.jpeg

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thanks, any chance you remember the offset?
It’s 40. Centerbore is 73 so it needed hub centric rings to bring it down to 70.1.

I ran all the specs through a size comparison calculator online and everything checked out. I’ve put about a hundred miles on the setup and it’s been perfect.

WAGONTHEDOG

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
It’s 40. Centerbore is 73 so it needed hub centric rings to bring it down to 70.1.

I ran all the specs through a size comparison calculator online and everything checked out. I’ve put about a hundred miles on the setup and it’s been perfect.
Thank you. Ideally I'd like to be on 16's as our roads in the Northeast, occasionally commuting to Boston which looks like the moon in March, is pothole central, but worried about caliper clearance. Times like these I miss the inboard brakes on my '91 Audi 200 20v turbo Quattros. They were designed to allow extremely light 15" BBS factory alloys and reduce unsprung weight without compromising braking. I had 3 of the 149 that came to the US. The Lamborghini of wagons at the time.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thank you. Ideally I'd like to be on 16's as our roads in the Northeast, occasionally commuting to Boston which looks like the moon in March, is pothole central, but worried about caliper clearance. Times like these I miss the inboard brakes on my '91 Audi 200 20v turbo Quattros. They were designed to allow extremely light 15" BBS factory alloys and reduce unsprung weight without compromising braking. I had 3 of the 149 that came to the US. The Lamborghini of wagons at the time.
I wanted to run on 16’s as well, but I couldn’t find something that I felt confident in. I’m running a 60 series sidewall on my 17” tires, so I feel confident in that extra cushion.

WAGONTHEDOG

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I wanted to run on 16’s as well, but I couldn’t find something that I felt confident in. I’m running a 60 series sidewall on my 17” tires, so I feel confident in that extra cushion.
These are fantastic winter wheels, but a bit hard to find..for future reference. Thanks again.

MOMO Win Pro Silver Wheel 16x6.5 5x115 +38

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Discount tire shows +1 size as 255 45 ZR 18 that I had put on stock wheel, no clearance problems. Very close to stock tire in diameter although wider. General ultra high performance all season seemed to perform very well in snow. Suppose to effect speedometer, where at 130mph really going 129mph.
LJ

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Sorry ...my comment did not apply since you want dedicated winter wheels, my bad.
LJ

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
New snows and wheels, MB Wynters from Discount Tire Direct with 225/60/17 Michelin X-Ice 3's all in for $1056 with $106 back on a Visa card, so less than a grand...seems decent enough for our NH winters and runs to the slopes.
Sounds like great deal with nice wheels.
LJ

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
What I also don't know is if the slight change in diameter will affect how the computer manages the AWD system / traction control / etc.
If all four of the wheels/tires are the same diameter as each other, the car won't have a clue that they are changed. That whole post about limp mode and all that is pure nonsense. One car of a different type with a problem doesn't actually mean anything at all... and it's not normal- that car had some other problem.
The car doesn't compare the speed from it's own speed sensors to any other data like GPS- it simply will have NO idea and everything will work normally. It senses differences in wheels speed in relation to the other wheels to determine if the ABS needs to kick in or if stability control is needed. In two wheel drive cars, spinning the tires with acceleration after a certain point will cause a fault code and limp mode until restarted. My Camaro does it when I do lengthy burnouts.
So, in summary- if it fits, it'll work. Just make sure all four are the same diameter. You can even use different size wheels, then use whatever tire is necessary to keep the diameter the same.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
If all four of the wheels/tires are the same diameter as each other, the car won't have a clue that they are changed. That whole post about limp mode and all that is pure nonsense. One car of a different type with a problem doesn't actually mean anything at all... and it's not normal- that car had some other problem.
The car doesn't compare the speed from it's own speed sensors to any other data like GPS- it simply will have NO idea and everything will work normally. It senses differences in wheels speed in relation to the other wheels to determine if the ABS needs to kick in or if stability control is needed. In two wheel drive cars, spinning the tires with acceleration after a certain point will cause a fault code and limp mode until restarted. My Camaro does it when I do lengthy burnouts.
So, in summary- if it fits, it'll work. Just make sure all four are the same diameter. You can even use different size wheels, then use whatever tire is necessary to keep the diameter the same.
Yep. No fear mongering here. I’m running 17” wheels and snow tires that are 0.1” different than original with zero issues.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.