Wheel/Tire size upgrade for 18+ Regals

danpritts

Ann Arbor, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 tourx
@Rhetoric - regarding the TPMS sensors.

I presume that there is an initial pairing process that has to be done to teach the car about the new sensors.

I'm happy to have the shop do whatever is needed to set them up the first time. But will I have to have them reprogrammed again every time i swap the wheels in the fall and spring?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
@Rhetoric - regarding the TPMS sensors.

I presume that there is an initial pairing process that has to be done to teach the car about the new sensors.

I'm happy to have the shop do whatever is needed to set them up the first time. But will I have to have them reprogrammed again every time i swap the wheels in the fall and spring?
Nope. A programmer costs <$20 and the process for learning is simple.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The guy at Costco is right, you will have to relearn the tire pressure sensors everytime you swap wheels & tires.

I'd like to know where to get a programmer for $20 to reprogram the tire pressure sensors. The cheapest one I found was $140.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The guy at Costco is right, you will have to relearn the tire pressure sensors everytime you swap wheels & tires.

I'd like to know where to get a programmer for $20 to reprogram the tire pressure sensors. The cheapest one I found was $140.
They are all over the internet. Find one for 433 MHz and you’re good to go. This stuff isn’t rocket science and can be done by anyone in their garage.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Says it works with GM Vehicles 2010-2013

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I'm just stating what it says, I'm not being combative. I found one on Ebay for $10 with free shipping, for that low cost I'll give it a try.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'm just stating what it says, I'm not being combative. I found one on Ebay for $10 with free shipping, for that low cost I'll give it a try.
Just match the MHz. I doubt shops constantly update their tools to match each new model year as there are only a few different MHz that are allocated for TPMS.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
The way the TPMS sensors get programmed is easy- the activation tool does nothing more that "stimulate" the sensor so the car can read it, so the tools aren't "smart" or updated/programmed for any particular car... I've had issues with a couple cheap activation tools not working consistently. There ARE some cars that require a sophisticated tool, but these GM sensors are simple. I currently use one from OTC that was $60 and it works 80% of the time. Sometimes it just won't work, sometimes it will. If there's a shop that is convenient in your area, I've not found one yet that won't zap my sensors for me in exchange for a pizza.
So, for $5.50 for a Little Ceasar's pepperoni pizza I can get mine programmed and not have to deal with the tool. :)

danpritts

Ann Arbor, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 tourx
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't mind paying a few bucks, but I just like to do the stuff myself. And with two cars, swapping out snows 2x a year, the time and money to have someone else do such a simple task adds up.

Meanwhile, I never got off my ass and bought snows, been driving around SE Michigan without them this year. It hasn't been an especially snowy year, but when it has I must say I like the AWD. Never had that before. Trust me, though, I know quite well that snows help you stop as well as go, and they are the long term plan.

Good call on not getting the cheapest possible tool. I'll keep that in mind.

And a few posts back, I mentioned the costco guy...what he told me that was wrong is that a TPMS tool costs $1500.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't mind paying a few bucks, but I just like to do the stuff myself. And with two cars, swapping out snows 2x a year, the time and money to have someone else do such a simple task adds up.

Meanwhile, I never got off my ass and bought snows, been driving around SE Michigan without them this year. It hasn't been an especially snowy year, but when it has I must say I like the AWD. Never had that before. Trust me, though, I know quite well that snows help you stop as well as go, and they are the long term plan.

Good call on not getting the cheapest possible tool. I'll keep that in mind.

And a few posts back, I mentioned the costco guy...what he told me that was wrong is that a TPMS tool costs $1500.
I'll update the thread with my experience with the cheap tool this spring when I switch back to my summer setup. Not too worried about it.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I'll be posting up as well- I am going to buy a better tool than the one I have, since it sometimes just won't work randomly. I'm swapping summer sets on in probably three weeks on three GM cars... hopefully the TPMS stuff will work. :)
Trying to decide on which aftermarket wheels to get for my TourX- it's torture trying to decide. I'd like to go larger than 18's, but the roads here suck, so I'll have to resist the urge to go 20's.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.