When to do first oil change

14EncoreAWD

Buick
I was just wondering how you guys felt about the first "break in" oil change. I was thinkiing around 1000-1500 miles, 2000 max.

rgt50wood

2014 White Encore Premium FWD
My dealer told me not to change the oil until the DIC tells me the oil life is down near 10%...Even if it takes a year.

alexusXIX

Buick Encore
Buick has 2 years free maintanance program. I've been told by the dealer that they will change it for free after I drive 6K miles or more.

adrunk

Silicon Valley
1-16-1992
There's no feeling or thinking involved ... only fact

From the manual:

Engine Oil Life System
When to Change Engine Oil
This vehicle has a computer system
that indicates when to change the
engine oil and filter. This is based
on a combination of factors which
include engine revolutions, engine
temperature, and miles driven.
Based on driving conditions, the
mileage at which an oil change is
indicated can vary considerably. For
the oil life system to work properly,
the system must be reset every time
the oil is changed.
When the system has calculated
that oil life has been diminished, it
indicates that an oil change is
necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE
OIL SOON DIC message comes on.
See Vehicle Messages on
page 5-25. Change the oil as soon
as possible within the next 1 000 km
(600 mi). It is possible that, if driving
under the best conditions, the oil life
system might indicate that an oil
change is not necessary for up to a
year. The engine oil and filter must
be changed at least once a year
and, at this time, the system must
be reset. Your dealer has trained
service people who will perform this
work and reset the system. It is also
important to check the oil regularly
over the course of an oil drain
interval and keep it at the proper
level.
If the system is ever reset
accidentally, the oil must be
changed at 5 000 km (3,000 mi)
since the last oil change.
Remember to reset the oil life
system whenever the oil is changed.

:headbang:

markbb99

Buick Newbie
Nashville, TN
Buick Encore 2014 FWD Premium
My dealer told me to come in after 90 days to get it changed the first time. I'd done about 3200 miles.

Old Lar

Buick
I have been following the DIC on my HHR for eight years now and have gone as much as 11,000 miles (DIC showed 11% oil life) between oil changes with no ill effects. I have used synthetic oil since new. With 133,000 mile on the car, no oil consumption. MY last oil change, 8000 miles with the DIC showing 38% oil life. I keep looking at an Encore as a replacement for the HHR, but at $28K out the door price and all the GM recall issues makes me hesitate and a new car purchase at this time.

Forcfed93

Buick Newbie
Topeka, KS
2014 Encore Convenience FWD
The maintenance schedule in the owners manual shows oil changes at 7500 miles. So, ours will be going in for it's first oil change when the OLM says to, or 7500, whichever comes first. Even if it shows 40%, I'll take it in and show them the maintenance schedule if they want to fuss.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Encore
Using the oil life monitor is good advice. I have a problem with it, however. I accidentally reset it.

14EncoreAWD

Buick
I have been following the DIC on my HHR for eight years now and have gone as much as 11,000 miles (DIC showed 11% oil life) between oil changes with no ill effects. I have used synthetic oil since new. With 133,000 mile on the car, no oil consumption. MY last oil change, 8000 miles with the DIC showing 38% oil life. I keep looking at an Encore as a replacement for the HHR, but at $28K out the door price and all the GM recall issues makes me hesitate and a new car purchase at this time.
Funny you say that, my mom replaced an HHR with the Encore because the HHR was terrible in the snow and she wanted to get back into an AWD. She had a Vibe, and had gone to the HHR after the Vibe and regretted it from day one.

Old Lar

Buick
I live in Florida and not much snow fall. However I have driven the HHR in snow, and you have to be careful with the HHR. 4WD is needed for those who don't know how to drive in snow. I grew up and lived in upstate NY for 50 years and never had an issue driving in snow, except for white out conditions.

prohidium

Buick
Using the oil life monitor is good advice. I have a problem with it, however. I accidentally reset it.
If you accidentally reset it, then just go by the mileage from the last oil change and do it before you hit another 7500 miles. If you have never changed the oil then do it at 7500 miles. You can always do it sooner if you feel you need to or if you drive it in dusty/high humidity/hot regions or tow etc...

Turbo Buick Badge