Where is the Battery Voltage gage on a 2013 Buick Encore

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
With the advent of digital readouts and information screens in literally every automobile, it has never made sense to me why we do not have a full compliment of vehicle status "gauges". I would love to be able see actual: Water Temperature, Oil Temperature, Oil Pressure, Transmission Temperature, Amp Meter, Turbo Temperature, and Turbo Boost. Instead most people (and manufacturers) seem more concerned with bluetooth connectivity and playing music from your phone....

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
With the advent of digital readouts and information screens in literally every automobile, it has never made sense to me why we do not have a full compliment of vehicle status "gauges". I would love to be able see actual: Water Temperature, Oil Temperature, Oil Pressure, Transmission Temperature, Amp Meter, Turbo Temperature, and Turbo Boost. Instead most people (and manufacturers) seem more concerned with bluetooth connectivity and playing music from your phone....

Most people do not know or care. And the dealer would be inundated with questions about them.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Most people do not know or care. And the dealer would be inundated with questions about them.

Oh, I'm old enough to remember when "idiot lights" began replacing actual gauges.
And they were called idiot lights because so many people had become too ignorant to actually understand why things like Oil Pressure or Coolant Temperature where important. So the manufacturers just replaced the gauges with a light to tell the owner/operator if/when something was wrong. And it was a lot cheaper, easier, and less problematic to install indicator lights as opposed to an actual analog gauge.

With today's technology and the multi-function displays, there really is no excuse to not have that information available to the operator. All of the status information is all ready being provided to the ECU's for proper/efficient engine operation anyway.

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
Oh, I'm old enough to remember when "idiot lights" began replacing actual gauges.
And they were called idiot lights because so many people had become too ignorant to actually understand why things like Oil Pressure or Coolant Temperature where important. So the manufacturers just replaced the gauges with a light to tell the owner/operator if/when something was wrong. And it was a lot cheaper, easier, and less problematic to install indicator lights as opposed to an actual analog gauge.

With today's technology and the multi-function displays, there really is no excuse to not have that information available to the operator. All of the status information is all ready being provided to the ECU's for proper/efficient engine operation anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised that our 14 Town and Country has info on the dash screen for oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, voltage (I think), engine hours. It is more than most vehicles provide. I wish it showed transmission temp (it may I just can't remember top of my head).

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
I was pleasantly surprised that our 14 Town and Country has info on the dash screen for oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, voltage (I think), engine hours. It is more than most vehicles provide. I wish it showed transmission temp (it may I just can't remember top of my head).
Engine hours is really interesting, and probably rare on a gasoline engine vehicle. But something I think that is actually pretty important if you spend a lot of your drive time crawling along in traffic jams.
Transmission Temp is another one of those things you will rarely see on a vehicle unless it's primary use is for towing. I remember my dad having a Trans Cooler and a Trans Temp Gauge put on a 1975 Old's Cutlass Supreme that we used to tow a Pop-Up Camper.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
My '08 GMC Sierra has trans temp in a menu. It also has voltage, oil pressure, and coolant temp on gauges. We tow a travel trailer with the truck. Unless we're towing I don't care about the trans temp.

When cars have them, most oil pressure gauges are nothing more that glorified idiot lights. People would freak out at true oil pressure gauges. Same for true voltage gauges. In warm weather w/o AC the alternator on my truck will drop below 13 volts and look like it's not charging. That's a mode the computer puts it in when there is no need for a full 14+ volt charge. Again that would freak people out in a daily driver car.

My HHR has coolant temp in a menu and a gauge. I rarely look at the digital temp.

If you want to see all this data get a Bluetooth OBDII scanner and use an app like Torque. Mount your phone on the dash board somewhere and you'll see it all in real time.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
I must have been buying the wrong vehicles over the years.
For my liking, most were sadly lacking in instrumentation.
But I am admittedly a little bit of an Automotive Nerd.
Maybe not a gear-head in the truest sense, but I like to now how things work.

My current lineup.

'94 Vette isn't bad, it has Volts, Oil Temp & Pressure, Coolant Temp.
And yes, Oil Pressure can vary widely in the LT1 350, from 20 to 80 psi.
No Trans. Temp.

'03 Tacoma is lacking most of the engine gauges we have talked about.
Only has Coolant Temp, with a few hash marks on it. Middle mark is "normal".

'13 Verano Turbo, is lacking more than I think it should. Has Coolant Temp and Volts.
Nothing for Oil Temp/Pressure, Turbo Boost/Temp., or Transmission.

Last edited:

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium

I agree with this post 100%. I posted almost this same verbiage on another car forum.

The manufactures, at the very least, should make it an option like upgraded radio, or automatic climate control.

With the advent of digital display centers on modern cars, "full instrumentation" is only the addition of a few cheap Chinese electronic chips, plus the sensors. But most are already there, just sending their information to the engine computer.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!