• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Which Center Console Execution Would You Choose? (Poll)

Which execution would you choose, given the choice?

• Total voters

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
We have a few discussions regarding the nuances of the Regal/Insignia/Commodore, but I wanted to dive a bit deeper. Each market (North America, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, and China) has varying center console and steering wheel designs connecting the driver to the vehicle. They all utilize an automatic transmission with the exception of the European market.

However, this is *not* intended to be an auto vs. manual debate... strictly a look at how each shifting method was implemented.

My question is, given the choice, which implementation would you choose? (You may choose 2) Choose the ones you realistically would have bought, not the ones you might have bought. Is your choice founded on functionality, aesthetics, or simply a hankering for that third pedal?

Here are the various executions. Note, there are others, but these are the most interesting (IMHO).

North America (2018-2020)
  • Gear Select Lever w/Slap Shift
  • Open Cupholder
1605922083942.png

Europe/Australia/New Zealand Automatic (2017-2019)
  • Paddle Shifters
  • Gear Select Lever w/Slap Shift
  • Cupholder Lid (Europe)
  • Open Cupholder (Australia/New Zealand)
1605922255990.png
1605921402125.png

Europe Manual (2017-2019)
  • Manual Shifter
  • Cupholder Lid
1605921149375.png

China (2020+)
  • Paddle Shifters
  • Button Gear Select
  • Cupholders Galore
1605920386003.png

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
My first pick would be the Australia/New Zealand execution for the simple addition of the paddle shifters. I actually like having the open cupholder.

BUT... I gotta say, I really appreciate the simplicity of the China market execution with the paddle shifters. I don't think I would like the buttons but I would be willing to give them a try. It's so decluttered and having the two additional cupholders is a welcomed feature.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I absolutely hated the button shift with first hand experience. That design left me with no easy, quick and sure way to cut the engine power to the drive wheels by shifting to neutral if needed.
I hate it so much that it will completely deter me from buying any vehicle with such stupid shifting mechanism.

On the other hand, I do like our North American steering wheel's toggle switches versus the roller-like switches in the other markets.

Meanwhile, kind of torn between the open cup/bottle holder vs the one with lid. It looks good with the lid, but is less useful for bottles. Being an engineer, I shall value function over form any day.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Ok...I know you don't want this to be a manual vs auto discussion, but for me that sets the whole time of the car. With a manual I am immediately connected to the vehicle 100% of the time. Once I am in that state of mind all the controls, whatever they are become more engaging.

If we are just speaking of visuals....I would have preferred the covered cup holder since I like clean lines and less clutter. I would also want that interface from the euro/australia model that has red icons. After owning my A4 that had red cluster and ambient lighting, I really grew to appreciate how easy it was to red without killing your forward vision.

novoseb

Cincinnati, OH
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Since this is about console rather than transmission, I’ll stick with China first then Aussie. I like the open cup holder whether using for a bottle or stashing my phone. I prefer the uncluttered and dual cup holders from China since the front cup holders are fairly limited in what fits there.

if it’s more about transmission, I understand why people don’t like the digi-stick shifters since it’s hard to tell what gear you’re in. I personally don’t see any difference between push buttons and lever. Slap stick is fairly worthless to me for actually shifting a 9 speed transmission but useful for defeating ASS. All that being said, a manual transmission would trump any consideration for cup holders! 😎

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Since this is about console rather than transmission, I’ll stick with China first then Aussie. I like the open cup holder whether using for a bottle or stashing my phone. I prefer the uncluttered and dual cup holders from China since the front cup holders are fairly limited in what fits there.

if it’s more about transmission, I understand why people don’t like the digi-stick shifters since it’s hard to tell what gear you’re in. I personally don’t see any difference between push buttons and lever. Slap stick is fairly worthless to me for actually shifting a 9 speed transmission but useful for defeating ASS. All that being said, a manual transmission would trump any consideration for cup holders! 😎
I would respectfully disagree in regards to the buttons and lever part.
Having also driven the Bolt that has the digital shifting stick, where it can be nudged into neutral as needed without looking at the shifting input. I can tolerate that.
Having an actual lever is vastly different from the stupid buttons and toggle switches.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
The TourX is the only car of the 5 I currently own that is an auto. That said a stick TourX would be interesting but I don't think the car is crippled being an auto. The GS is maybe a different story. Some cars scream to have a stick like my 9-3's or a 3 series BMW, even my Element since it is so underpowered the stick helps, but the TourX doesn't scream that to me. Console....I'm not sold on the China push button setup, I'd have to try it out. 2 real cup holders would be nice. The covered cup holder looks better but I don't have a strong opinion either way. I'd rather they give me the choice of ventilated seats and adjustable seat bottom cushions.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
I'll take the three pedals, stick shift and covered cupholder please.

The car is not bad, it would have been sweet to have a TourX GS offered with a 6 speed manual.

CPO

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I like the Chinese layout better than my North American one, and would really like the perforated seat trim.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I just realized the Tri-Shield on the China steering wheel is red, white, and blue. I wonder why it differs from the North America Regal.

Ben Daigneault

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
The Chinese one seems to have “GS” floor mat??

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I just realized the Tri-Shield on the China steering wheel is red, white, and blue. I wonder why it differs from the North America Regal.
I believe it has been like that from day 1, including the front and rear emblems along with the wheel caps.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Hopeful thinking, maybe. IMO it looks much better with the multi color emblem.
Which is strange that red, white and blue had not been on this side of the ocean until recently. Why did GM switch from that to the monochrome in early 2000's is the million dollar question. (Can we get any more American by keeping Red, white and blue?)
China get to keep those colourful emblems outside of the vehicles the whole time.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Which is strange that red, white and blue had not been on this side of the ocean until recently. Why did GM switch from that to the monochrome in early 2000's is the million dollar question. (Can we get any more American by keeping Red, white and blue?)
China get to keep those colourful emblems outside of the vehicles the whole time.
Comments are as interesting or more as the article. And Now, The Origins Of The Buick Badge

Get your turbo buick badge right here!