• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Which spark plug do you use?

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
So, I will be doing a tune up on my car eventually and I was just wondering if anyone have issues with certain material spark plugs. For example, my 1999 saturn sw2 I use copper because 1) it burns a lot of oil 2) anything more than copper actually will eat your ignition modules and coils, so I use copper in that. (also super easy to change)

Any concern to using platinum, iridium, etc in our cars?

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
My suggestion would be Iridium. Just put a full set of iridium plugs and GM red performance wires in one of my cars. Our Lacrosse is not ready for plugs. Mine is also a 98 that i just did.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
In my experience the best spark plug for your vehicle is the OEM plug specified by the manufacturer. I have tried without success using various aftermarket plugs. Some were better than others but none as good as AC Delco.

Ziggy

Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue 91 base
Copper spark plugs have excellent conductivity but poor longevity. Iridiums have excellent longevity but mediocre conductivity.
Platinums on the other hand, have poor conductivity and mediocre longevity!

I have been using NGK V-power spark plug #3951 (TR55) for the past 10 years, they are great.
It's copper... in older cars iridium spark plugs can easily foul as they barely have any surface area, they are like needles...

Last edited:

Drakito

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
I run Iridium NGK's, with a smaller gap, and 2 temperature ranges colder. But then mine is a fresh rebuild with stupid amount of performance parts, so I had to.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
NGK TR-55 plugs are great for normal replacement and will last 40-K+, but if you increase boost with an S/C engine, you will need a colder heat range plug to limit Knock Retard (K/R)