• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Which tune is best for a GS.

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS Smokey Grey Metallic. Trifecta tuned
Just bought my 2013 gs. After doing extensive research it seems everyone is going with trifecta or IPF, can someone explain what the difference is between the two in how the change the car? After all my research im leaning towards trifecta for several reasons. For 1. its invisible to the dealer and doesnt add counts to the flash database so putting it back to stock when taking it into the dealer for work seems like it would be very easy and the dealer wouldnt know its been tweaked. 2. they send you the cable and it seems pretty easy to do yourself. the ease of use makes me lean towards trifecta. Has anybody on here had any experience with both of these companies tunes and can shed some light on the issue for me to help me decide which company to go with.

Also, can anybody verify that trifecta is truly invisible to the dealer. I saw one post where someone worked for the dealer and he said that after he tuned his car he couldnt see the tune but i was wondering if anybody else has had any experience with this. Im very worried about messing with my car. i traveled very far to purchase this automatic gs because it only had 15k miles on it and it was a certified pre owned with all the original warranties including the bumper to bumper. I want more power but i dont want to void my warranty right away. i realize that with any mod there is risk of voiding warranty. I just wanted to make sure the dealer cannot see the tune.

The last thing im concerned about after doing my research is that can our eco tech motors and transmissions handle all this added hp and torque. i dont want to ruin my motor for a little more hp. some people were saying head gaskets can be blown, transmission failure and so on. I know trifecta claims they tested the tune for 100k miles and so on and that no issues were encountered. Does anybody have any insight on the question if our cars can safely handle this added power. Thanks guys for creating such an awesome regal community. im happy to be a new member here and thanks for having me

sjr

Buick Ownership
Buick
i have both tunes. i have gone back and forth between them and every time i end up happier with ipf. i find it to be just as powerful as trifecta and it has always felt smoother and more predictable and linear to me. it also revs to 7000 vs 6500 on trifecta, and i like this and i often shift around 6700 and i missed doing that when i was on trifecta. mayor prefers trifecta and he'll probably explain why in this thread. if i were to do it again, i would go with ipf. to each their own. if you have any specific questions post them and ill do my best to answer.

- - - Updated - - -

trifecta has the option of e47, ipf currently does not but supposedly they are working on that. i

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
i have both tunes. i have gone back and forth between them and every time i end up happier with ipf. i find it to be just as powerful as trifecta and it has always felt smoother and more predictable and linear to me. it also revs to 7000 vs 6500 on trifecta, and i like this and i often shift around 6700 and i missed doing that when i was on trifecta. mayor prefers trifecta and he'll probably explain why in this thread. if i were to do it again, i would go with ipf. to each their own. if you have any specific questions post them and ill do my best to answer.

- - - Updated - - -

trifecta has the option of e47, ipf currently does not but supposedly they are working on that. i
Thanks for your input. How hard is the ipf tune to install. Trifecta seems pretty easy. Haven't heard much on the ease of installation with ipf. And can anybody speak on how safe these tunes are for our transmission and engine. Plan on having the car a while and don't want to shorten the engine life thanks guys

sjr

Buick Ownership
Buick
Theoretically they are both equally easy to install. In practice I have had MUCH more difficulty with trifecta. This seems to be more specific to me and not many other users have had this experience. I have had the tune install to 99% and then fail and have had to re attempt multiple times with he same result and if your not careful with back to back flashes like this it'll lead to u draining the battery and not being able to start. Not good. I wouldn't let the flash process deter you from either tune.

sjr

Buick Ownership
Buick
Also for what it's worth the I of tune is engineered by former GM engineers. It might be worth talking to reps from both company's for more info. Andy at ipf is great, I have spoken with many reps at trifecta wot who have been very informative as well.

tellis85

Buick Ownership
Buick
I debated for a year and decided on IPF. Installation took 20 mins after I opened the box and Andy walked me through and stayed on the phone while it completed. Car drives great, smooth power in all gears....kicked myself for waiting a whole year!

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
Also for what it's worth the I of tune is engineered by former GM engineers. It might be worth talking to reps from both company's for more info. Andy at ipf is great, I have spoken with many reps at trifecta wot who have been very informative as well.
Thanks for the info. I will look into ipf more. The one thing that enticed me about trifecta was the rep said the dealer would not be able to see the tune due to their transparency program. Does ipf offer something like this. I see in your profile it says "ipf /trifecta" does that mean you have both tunes on your gs I see that a lot in peoples profile.

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
I debated for a year and decided on IPF. Installation took 20 mins after I opened the box and Andy walked me through and stayed on the phone while it completed. Car drives great, smooth power in all gears....kicked myself for waiting a whole year!
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have a ballpark of what gains you got from the ipf the trifecta numbers seem a little unreal. But I hope they are right. Lol

tellis85

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have no idea on gains...did not dyno before or after....very noticeable though and I don't think trifecta is off on their numbers. KPE says 50WHP, 60WTQ on their site with a dyno sheet....take the numbers how you want all in all the tune really wakes up the car and provides a more enjoyable driving experience

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
I have no idea on gains...did not dyno before or after....very noticeable though and I don't think trifecta is off on their numbers. KPE says 50WHP, 60WTQ on their site with a dyno sheet....take the numbers how you want all in all the tune really wakes up the car and provides a more enjoyable driving experience
Awesome. That's great to know

MIDUN

Chicago, Illinois
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS Smoky Grey 6 MT IPF M-Tech GSS
After research and reading, I went with IPF. Installation took about 17 minutes, start to finish. Andy was great to deal with. I understand that IPF is also invisible to the dealer. The engine feels like a better version of itself, not radically different, but stronger, smoother, and the car feels lighter and fleeter. Also, I think shifting is smoother. It's kind of like how you feel after you've been working out for awhile. You're still you, just a lot better.

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
After research and reading, I went with IPF. Installation took about 17 minutes, start to finish. Andy was great to deal with. I understand that IPF is also invisible to the dealer. The engine feels like a better version of itself, not radically different, but stronger, smoother, and the car feels lighter and fleeter. Also, I think shifting is smoother. It's kind of like how you feel after you've been working out for awhile. You're still you, just a lot better.
May I ask why you decided to use ipf instead of trifecta. What were some of the factors that made your decision

jester435

Salt Lake City, Utah
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
May I ask why you decided to use ipf instead of trifecta. What were some of the factors that made your decision
I am assuming cost is atleast one factor. IPF tune is cheaper than trifecta.

I have a Trifecta tune as well met a member of their staff. Company is top notch and my regal gs performance is ridiculously better over stock!

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
I am assuming cost is atleast one factor. IPF tune is cheaper than trifecta.

I have a Trifecta tune as well met a member of their staff. Company is top notch and my regal gs performance is ridiculously better over stock!
Actually youre sort of correct. The ipf tune is 599. Trifecta has an eco tune for 399 and their advantage tune is 650. So it's not like ipf is that much cheaper. I want to know if the gains are similar. I want the best bang for my buck

jester435

Salt Lake City, Utah
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Actually youre sort of correct. The ipf tune is 599. Trifecta has an eco tune for 399 and their advantage tune is 650. So it's not like ipf is that much cheaper. I want to know if the gains are similar. I want the best bang for my buck
I wish I could let you drive my GS with my custom trifecta tune. after about 3 renditions of their stock tune it is dialed in on my car. I also have driven two regal Turbos with trifecta tunes and they were a blast.

Customer service is top notch.

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
I wish I could let you drive my GS with my custom trifecta tune. after about 3 renditions of their stock tune it is dialed in on my car. I also have driven two regal Turbos with trifecta tunes and they were a blast.

Why did you chose trifecta over ipf. Ipf has a special going now for 100 off. So the tune is 499 aND it allows for retuning so it's essentially the advantage tune from trifecta which would cost 649. So it's cheaper in that regar. I almost pulled the trigger on ipf but I'm torn. They both claim very similar gains

sjr

Buick Ownership
Buick
In my personal experience with both tunes, trifectas customer support is very spotty. Sometimes extremely delayed responses with apologies (several weeks). Other times they are on top of it. Seems to depend on the way the winds blowing...... Ipf I've never had a problem with their support team. I usually contact Andy on his cell phone instead of over the computer. I also had trifectas latest version of there performance tune on my car about 3 weeks ago and I noted a slight delay in wot response. I datalogged it at the time and submitted and just today I reached out to them saying -- hey any update on my revision? They basically said that they forgot to write me back. They noted they couldn't see the delay I was talking about in my data logs and that my tune was more or less as good as it was going to get :/ No delay on wot with ipf, so I'm sticking with them for the time being. Also it should be stressed that the delay I'm describing hasn't been mentioned by anyone else on the forum to my knowledge, so the problem seems specific to me and I wouldn't necessarily expect you to experience it if you decide on trifecta. Just sharing my own experience and not holding back on the details.

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
In my personal experience with both tunes, trifectas customer support is very spotty. Sometimes extremely delayed responses with apologies (several weeks). Other times they are on top of it. Seems to depend on the way the winds blowing...... Ipf I've never had a problem with their support team. I usually contact Andy on his cell phone instead of over the computer. I also had trifectas latest version of there performance tune on my car about 3 weeks ago and I noted a slight delay in wot response. I datalogged it at the time and submitted and just today I reached out to them saying -- hey any update on my revision? They basically said that they forgot to write me back. They noted they couldn't see the delay I was talking about in my data logs and that my tune was more or less as good as it was going to get :/ No delay on wot with ipf, so I'm sticking with them for the time being. Also it should be stressed that the delay I'm describing hasn't been mentioned by anyone else on the forum to my knowledge, so the problem seems specific to me and I wouldn't necessarily expect you to experience it if you decide on trifecta. Just sharing my own experience and not holding back on the details.
That's good to know. Support is very important when modding you' car yourself. Andy has been very responsive to me and all my questions. But trifecta has also been very repsonsick to my questions. Since you have both tunes how do you switch between them. And when you do switch between tunes can you notice a difference. If so which tune feels more linear. right now I notice a huge surge on the throttle when I give it wot. Like the turbo boost fluctuates stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Why did they have to do 3 different tunes on the car. I'm assuming you got the advantage package since you did retunes.

jester435

Salt Lake City, Utah
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
That's good to know. Support is very important when modding you' car yourself. Andy has been very responsive to me and all my questions. But trifecta has also been very repsonsick to my questions. Since you have both tunes how do you switch between them. And when you do switch between tunes can you notice a difference. If so which tune feels more linear. right now I notice a huge surge on the throttle when I give it wot. Like the turbo boost fluctuates stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Why did they have to do 3 different tunes on the car. I'm assuming you got the advantage package since you did retunes.
Datalog and updated custom tunes of a few month period. Then I got to the point when it was running the way I wanted. I no longer needed updates. I worked directly with a trifecta rep and called, text, and emailed him. It is sad to hear that others haven't had that same experience.

It is a shame that nobody on this forum lives in Utah. It would be so nice to meet up with other Regal GS owners. I literally only see moms and very old individuals driving regal GS. I actually took a picture of one that had handicap plates on it, so I waited and sure enough it was two blue hairs.

kudos to buick to selling a performance car to blue hairs when the target demo is 25-35 working professionals! haha