Which tune is best for a GS.

MayorMcCheese

Buick Ownership
Buick
its af40 - if you have an automatic in your gs thats the tranny .. mine runs on a preproduction tune where my gears shift faster, my rev limiter is off i think 6800 is my redline? I have to check and something about torque converter in 6th gear

Trifecta is very easy to work with If you asked theyd detail you a retune there here to help

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS Smokey Grey Metallic. Trifecta tuned
its af40 - if you have an automatic in your gs thats the tranny .. mine runs on a preproduction tune where my gears shift faster, my rev limiter is off i think 6800 is my redline? I have to check and something about torque converter in 6th gear

Trifecta is very easy to work with If you asked theyd detail you a retune there here to help
Awesome thanks for the info. How would I know if I need a retune. since I bought the advantage I was told they can't do a data log

Jscaife

Shelton, Connecticut, United States
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
have you not bought and installed a tune yet??
i have not bought the tune i didn't want to buy the tune do some mods and then pay for a re tune. and yes CT supposedly does a visual inspection during emissions. my friend had a mustang GT that failed because "No cat visible" so we welded a cat shield around the pipe and he passed even though there was no cat.

Also i am new to turbos and tunes and all of that i've never had a car tuned so i'm kind of hesitant at the whole situation.

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
I'm still nervous about the tunes myself, particularly that 30% activation point on the 2014+ tune. I really need to see how it would work before I make the decision on it.

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
:(s)kciuB yM
hmmm... maybe someone could show me that 30% engagement point on the Trifecta tune that still has me extremely concerned about how it operates in daily driving and how non-linear it may be.
I'm still nervous about the tunes myself, particularly that 30% activation point on the 2014+ tune. I really need to see how it would work before I make the decision on it.
Diva, stop dropping hints everywhere. You're more than welcome to take mine for a drive during "Regal Madness" weekend in May. I only ask 3 things;

1. My car is a girl and must be treated like an innocent princess. She's a year older than Bruce, but we must pretend that she is somehow younger. She also doesn't like it when I have girls in the car with me, so you two may have to go on a drive alone and work things out.

2. NO 80's music if you have the windows down! I don't need the stigma of Journey and Duran Duran following me around Ohio.

3. Don't move my seat! It took 2 months, but I finally found the perfect setting.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Diva, stop dropping hints everywhere. You're more than welcome to take mine for a drive during "Regal Madness" weekend in May. I only ask 3 things;

1. My car is a girl and must be treated like an innocent princess. She's a year older than Bruce, but we must pretend that she is somehow younger. She also doesn't like it when I have girls in the car with me, so you two may have to go on a drive alone and work things out.

2. NO 80's music if you have the windows down! I don't need the stigma of Journey and Duran Duran following me around Ohio.

3. Don't move my seat! It took 2 months, but I finally found the perfect setting.
lol awesomesauce

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
1) Actually, I was more dropping hints for a demonstration than to drive in the Ohio thread. Maybe seeing it will make it make sense, because theoretically, it does not compute for me. The rest, we will just have to wait and see... you may be surprised.
2) I do not drive with the windows down unless it is a convertible with the top down. I'm very open on music as long as it isn't rap or sounding like people trying to sing and vomit at once.
3) You didn't get the DC packages either? :)

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership

I'm assuming you have the trifecta tune. I just bought min . Will be here Monday. I almost went ipf but mayor talked me into trifecta. From dynos it seems pretty linear to me. And judging from the baseline run stock it's way more linear than stock the stock dyno shows that sputtering I was referring to the turbo doesn't runat a consistent psi stock. You can see by the lifeline looking run its up and down all the way to 6000 rpms. After the tune the line is way more linear. This is what I'm looking forward to I hope I made the right choice going with trifecta over ipf

dmenn

Buick Ownership
Buick
One other data point for those reading through this thread for information on tunes for the GS..

I believe IPF has a money back guarantee and Trifecta does not. Not sure about the GMPP Stage Kit that was just released.

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
One other data point for those reading through this thread for information on tunes for the GS..

I believe IPF has a money back guarantee and Trifecta does not. Not sure about the GMPP Stage Kit that was just released.
Yes I saw the money back guarantee. It is still $100 more than thr basic trifecta tune but it does come with unlimited data logs. Maybe I made a mistake by going with trifecta instead of ipf. too late to switch now hope I'm happy

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
:(s)kciuB yM
lol awesomesauce
I wish you waited an hour and 43 minutes to post this.

*edited/construed*1) Actually, I would love to drive your GS in Ohio. Your generosity is second to none! I secretly was thinking driving an equally appointed vehicle would be better than a demonstration so I could differentiate tuned versus stock from the drivers seat. I hope feeling the contrast will make it make sense, because theoretically, it does not compute for me.
2)&3) Being a true Diva I'm used to subjugating situations. Under the circumstances I'm willing to compromise a remediable amount.... I'm moving your seat, however I vouch to only "bump" 2 Chainz and Bobby Shmurda. :) Foreshadowing, I'll presumably be engulfed in the driving experience using my senses for perspective. Any music would be a hindrance.
First off... Damn girl, you smart!

Cool,cool. I'm glad you're going to "Regal Madness". I wish more people were.

I think explaining the 30% throttle threshold and how I work with it in different driving situations... Then letting you drive to feel and play around with the tune will give you a better overall exposure to what Trifecta has to offer.

In hopes that when you see this post you laugh by blowing one quck burst of air out of your nose, and say to yourself "Oh nizerims you cheeky bugger you"!... I'm going to personally give you the few negative (If I had to nitpick) things I feel after a few months with this tune (cause you like this type of shit).

*I feel I should preface this by saying Trifecta's customer service is astounding. Michael at WOT has been more that helpful and PMs are replied to at an almost unbelievable speed (during business hours). Anything I point out can definitely be changed and/or already has been, with a quick phone call. I just don't have the extra time or patience to be on the phone with customer service right now. Also I don't have the type of internet where I can be sending datalogs and TRTX files back and forth daily without physical modifications being performed first.*

In one of your posts you talked about Trifecta needing two separate tunes. One for automatic transmissions and another for us manual drivers... You are 100% correct with that statement. For starters there should be a price difference because manual drivers don't need the automatic transmission TCM calibration software reprogramming. They need to make a package with (just) the 2.0T LTG ECM software reprogramming and "new" E-Z Flash cable (at a lower price) for us manual drivers. I paid full price and regret nothing, yet I see and feel something in the tune that leads me to believe the ECU reprograming I received is for both for manual and automatic Regals.. *thinking out loud*-> It was written for an automatic, but it'll work on the manual too.

"Where is the chase and how do we cut to it" you say?

Getting off the highway or coming up to an intersection I like to throw it in neutral and use the brakes to slow the car to a stop or until I need to pick the appropriate gear for the transition from highway to another highway. I personally feel it's easier on the engine and transmission, better for my MPGs, and no one taught me to drive a stick so this is just what I do. Around town and on back roads in the winter I was very light on the throttle so I didn't notice it as much there, but 100% of the time getting off the highway this is what happens.....

So I'm driving along in the leftmost lane in 6th gear (the slow lane is where all the potholes/car parts/garbage/debris is) and my exit is coming up, so I merge over into the right lane then the off ramp, completely let off the gas, throw it in neutral, both feet flat on the floormat, watch the tachometer drop down to about 1000,,,,,, split second later (feet still flat on the floor) watch the tach slowly climb to 2, 3, sometimes just over 4000 RPMs for between 2-5 seconds the back down to idle until I give it gas or throw it in a gear. This happens every time and I've tried every different combination of things I could possibly try to control this and make it not happen. I have resorted to leaving it in 6th until I slow down enough where the RPMs are between 2k and a little over 1k, then throw it in neutral. That is the only way I can keep the car from revving itself.....

Around town or on back roads the "auto revving" is completely dependent on how hard and fast I've banged through the previous few gears... If I'm just fartin' around town, throw it in neutral so I can coast past a gnarly garage sale to see if there are any sweet deals. The engine will drop down to idle and stay there.......But if I pull onto a road and rocket through 1st 2nd then 3rd while heavy on the gas (way over 30%), throw it in neutral (preparing to turn or stop), normally the revs just hang where they are for a second or two, then slowly drop to an idle.... But if I do a hard 1st 2nd 3rd and let off the gas a little to do a quick/short 3rd to 4th, I've actually seen the RPMs jump a little between 3rd and 4th with my foot letting up on the throttle...... This led to the only time I've ground gears in my '14. It was a short 3rd to 4th. My shifting and clutch timing didn't quite match up to where the RPMs actually were...... "BRRRRRRTTTT" . I was all alone on a back road. Nobody saw or heard it , but it was embarrassing and hurts the ego.

Just recently I think I figured a way to control the "rev hang/auto rev" while driving around normal streets... After doing a hard 1st 2nd 3rd, instead of just going to neutral, If I keep the clutch in and gate over to 2nd and kinda pull it into 2nd a little, but not actually pull all the way to put it in gear,,,,, the revs instantly start to drop.

Now this is just a presumption and should not be taken as the gospel, but this auto revving is what leads me to believe the automatic and manual ECU tunes for the '14 and '15 Regal are one in the same..... This "auto revving" probably works great with the TCM calibration on an automatic Regal. It most likely helps for quicker, more aggressive gear changes...... But I bought a manual so I could control that with my feet and hands...

To sum it up..... I love the tune. The "auto rev" thing on my manual is different, it probably shouldn't be there but I deal with it because the pros (by far) outweigh the cons. I also want Select-A-Tune to become available on the MY '14 & '15....

I almost went ipf but mayor talked me into trifecta.
Mayor talked me into going to Ohio and buying a timeshare in Mississippi.

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
you will not be disappointed!
Just installed the trifecta tune. Here are two things I noticed and want to know if others had this issue. The first is at about 3000 rpms the entire motor sounds a little different. A little throattier just wanted to make sure this is normal. Also I have an automatic. When I try to use the manual shifting on the automatic With the tune. When I downshift the gears seem to clunk into the next gear. It's not smooth at all like it used to he stock. Can someone explain why this is and if there is a fix I like driving in manual sometimes but it's way too jerk now when I downshift please help

jester435

Salt Lake City, Utah
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Just installed the trifecta tune. Here are two things I noticed and want to know if others had this issue. The first is at about 3000 rpms the entire motor sounds a little different. A little throattier just wanted to make sure this is normal. Also I have an automatic. When I try to use the manual shifting on the automatic With the tune. When I downshift the gears seem to clunk into the next gear. It's not smooth at all like it used to he stock. Can someone explain why this is and if there is a fix I like driving in manual sometimes but it's way too jerk now when I downshift please help
I did have an issue on downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but not with the manual shifting. I had issues with it in auto mode. I had trifecta send me a customized tune to help with that issue and they got it mostly solved.

The biggest chance I noticed is how peppy the car is and that it wants to go full throttle everytime you accelerate. It was hard to get used to.

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
I did have an issue on downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but not with the manual shifting. I had issues with it in auto mode. I had trifecta send me a customized tune to help with that issue and they got it mostly solved.

The biggest chance I noticed is how peppy the car is and that it wants to go full throttle everytime you accelerate. It was hard to get used to.
I spoke with Michael at wot. He said to go home. Wipe everything out and reflash it. Then drive it for a few days in at mode cause the computer needs to relearn the driving habits. Hope this clears it if not we will work on a retune but you are Right. The car is peppy and I was going 100mph everywhere without even trying. Basically Michael said the car is a little raw right after the tune.

MIDUN

Chicago, Illinois
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS Smoky Grey 6 MT IPF M-Tech GSS
May I ask why you decided to use ipf instead of trifecta. What were some of the factors that made your decision
Apologies for the delay; I haven't checked in here for a bit. My impression from reading the posts here is that Trifecta was more about raw power, and IPF was more about smooth delivery and was more refined, which is what I was looking for. The differences may be subtle, and I'm sure both tunes are great, but I was going to spend money on only one, and I had to go with best info I had. I wasn't looking to transform the GS into something it's not, but to have a drivable, livable high performance sedan, the best the GS could be, as it were. Also, I was impressed that IPF is the US distributor of a German tuner (EDS) that has been around some 20+ years and has tuned 34,000 Opels (IIRC) back in Europe. In the end, I'm really -- like really, really -- happy with my choice.

As to transparency, my very limited understanding is the IPF/EDS does not write a brand new tune, but rewrites the GM tune, so it looks like the GM tune. Or something like that. Anyway, someone would have to drill down pretty deep to find the tune, something dealers cant do (but probably can be done at GM.)

bnebel15

Bay Area, Ca
Buick Ownership
you will not be disappointed!
You're totally right. This tune really woke this car up. I can tell the torque has really increased. As I went over a bump on the freeway my traction control light came on cause my front wheels broke loose at 80mph. Michael had me wipe the computer clean on my car after the first tune was shifting a little rough. I cleared all tcm from the car. Then he had me click on "force full flash" when I installed the tune the second time. He claimed it resets the transmission so it has to relearn my driving habits now but man it is much smoother and so fast. On the freeway it's insane. One question I gave is when I push the gas and have the car downshift on the freeway. When the rpms get to 3000 it seems to wanna jump to 4000 really fast. Like it almost downshift again and skips 3000 to 4000 rpms. Maybe the transmission is still learning since Michael said it should take about 2 days to adjust to me and to not use the manual mode till the transmission tables have a chance to have some data logged down. So after the second tune it's a fast car. Amazing