Who has the highest mileage lacrosse in this forum?

tjwhite

PA
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Lacrosse Premium 1
I'm trying to get a feel for the longevity of my Lacrosse. Has anybody hit the 200k mile club?

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
I am at 97,000 miles on our 2010 and I have the same question. Thanks for asking it.

By the way, what preventative services did you elect to perform at the 100k mark? Spark plugs? fuel injectors? Or just, if it isn't broke, don't fix it?

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I am only at 55,000 on my 2010 - I would change the air filter/spark plugs at whatever miles the manual specifies. I think our cars have a timing belt (vs. chain)?

To the OP, I suspect that I will get a lot more miles out of this car as it still feels new...

CarbonBlackCXS

I am only at 55,000 on my 2010 - I would change the air filter/spark plugs at whatever miles the manual specifies. I think our cars have a timing belt (vs. chain)?

To the OP, I suspect that I will get a lot more miles out of this car as it still feels new...
They have a chain which is a good thing. I agree with following the manual.

To those replying it may also help those interested to know which engine your car has.

B3AST

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey all. I have a black 2011 cxs. The car still rides today the way it rode when I drove it off of the lot in mid 2011. Alright... So I might have most beat on here. My odometer currently reads 138,354.

About me: I commute round trip 65 miles daily M-F on non stop interstate hwy. When I first purchased my Lacrosse, I took a lot of trips in it. So, 4 years later, 85% of my mileage is from the daily commute. I have always kept it dealer maintained even after warranty expiration. I have also worried about reliability. To date, it tried to overheat on me last Thanksgiving Day. I had to be towed to the dealer. That was right around 120,000 miles. I later discovered that the water pump had gone so a new replacement was installed.

I'm very interactive with the service folks at the dealer and always ask plenty of questions. The water pump is apparently the biggest culprit that goes. Because the car has a chain vs a timing belt, that's not a worry. I had all of my fluids flushed at the proper intervals and things seem to be working well to date. I had to get new Michelins installed around 70,000.

The brakes are still original.
The interior still looks pristine.
I'm very particular so the outside looks like that of a much newer year.
No major alterations. All stock on the car.

I did have to have a motor replace ed a couple of years ago because the moon roof interior shade would open fully but only close halfway.

So for the moonroof motor: about $100
Water pump: around $250

So the service folks tell me that as long as I keep getting that synthetic oil change at the suggested interval (5,000 miles) I should be in good shape for awhile.

I'll admit that I worry but it runs like a dream and truly still feels the way it felt on day one.

So that's my story. I welcome your thoughts. I'm planning to keep running this beast until it gives me a reason to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

tjwhite

PA
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Lacrosse Premium 1
Hey all. I have a black 2011 cxs. The car still rides today the way it rode when I drove it off of the lot in mid 2011. Alright... So I might have most beat on here. My odometer currently reads 138,354.

About me: I commute round trip 65 miles daily M-F on non stop interstate hwy. When I first purchased my Lacrosse, I took a lot of trips in it. So, 4 years later, 85% of my mileage is from the daily commute. I have always kept it dealer maintained even after warranty expiration. I have also worried about reliability. To date, it tried to overheat on me last Thanksgiving Day. I had to be towed to the dealer. That was right around 120,000 miles. I later discovered that the water pump had gone so a new replacement was installed.

I'm very interactive with the service folks at the dealer and always ask plenty of questions. The water pump is apparently the biggest culprit that goes. Because the car has a chain vs a timing belt, that's not a worry. I had all of my fluids flushed at the proper intervals and things seem to be working well to date. I had to get new Michelins installed around 70,000.

The brakes are still original.
The interior still looks pristine.
I'm very particular so the outside looks like that of a much newer year.
No major alterations. All stock on the car.

I did have to have a motor replace ed a couple of years ago because the moon roof interior shade would open fully but only close halfway.

So for the moonroof motor: about $100
Water pump: around $250

So the service folks tell me that as long as I keep getting that synthetic oil change at the suggested interval (5,000 miles) I should be in good shape for awhile.

I'll admit that I worry but it runs like a dream and truly still feels the way it felt on day one.

So that's my story. I welcome your thoughts. I'm planning to keep running this beast until it gives me a reason to look elsewhere.
Great post! Very informative and will help a lot of owners here.

- - - Updated - - -

I currently have 74,987 on my 2013 Lacrosse Premium 1. Runs good! I bought it certified Pre-Owned. So I have my bumper to bumper still and powertrain.

B3AST

Buick Ownership
Buick
Here's some more maintenance info. Per Buick, every car should have the following done at 100,000 miles:

1. full throttle body induction clean/service
2. transmission system clean/service
3. Plugs changed

I had all three done at 94,000.

Next svc for the transmission sys is at 150,000.

The throttle body should be serviced every 30,000 so I am overdue for that. I'm just going to get both done again here soon.

I guess I should also add that I have run 93 octane in it since day 1.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
did you look at doing the throttle body service yourself, it should be easy to do at home?

Here's some more maintenance info. Per Buick, every car should have the following done at 100,000 miles:

1. full throttle body induction clean/service
2. transmission system clean/service
3. Plugs changed

I had all three done at 94,000.

Next svc for the transmission sys is at 150,000.

The throttle body should be serviced every 30,000 so I am overdue for that. I'm just going to get both done again here soon.

I guess I should also add that I have run 93 octane in it since day 1.

B3AST

Buick Ownership
Buick
I probably could have done it at home. I've always been pretty good about that type of thing but I guess it's just personal preference, peace of mind, or laziness..lol.

You've got me stirring though. I'm going to check into what it would take to do that in the garage. :)

did you look at doing the throttle body service yourself, it should be easy to do at home?

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
I probably could have done it at home. I've always been pretty good about that type of thing but I guess it's just personal preference, peace of mind, or laziness..lol.

You've got me stirring though. I'm going to check into what it would take to do that in the garage. :)
I'm gonna try to find a Youtube video, but you'll just need an old toothbrush and throttle body cleaner

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
I tried Youtube but could not find anything specific to the Lacrosse, let me know if you find anything...

I'm gonna try to find a Youtube video, but you'll just need an old toothbrush and throttle body cleaner

CarbonBlackCXS

Considering the LaCrosse has a direct fuel injection system I would imagine any induction cleaning service would only be cleaning the intake valves (and maybe the MAF sensor). If so then poking around in there with a tooth brush and throttle body cleaner may not be a good idea. That might work for throttle body fuel injected engines to remove fuel deposits on the throttle body but I'd be cautious about doing it on a GDI engine until I found verification from a trusted source no harm can be done.

B3AST

Buick Ownership
Buick
Agree. It could just be blind luck but I believe I have gotten this far but remaining engaged with the dealer on service intervals. I love this car and honestly am pretty amazed daily that it still has that day one feel.

Not to bad mouth other cars but.. I had an 06 Dodge Charger RT purchased brand new in 07. I Traded it in for this in 11 and when I traded that car in I could definitely tell I had driven a car for over 100,000 miles. Things felt vastly different from the smooth day one feel in that car.

Having just said all that, I also just knocked on wood. :)

Considering the LaCrosse has a direct fuel injection system I would imagine any induction cleaning service would only be cleaning the intake valves (and maybe the MAF sensor). If so then poking around in there with a tooth brush and throttle body cleaner may not be a good idea. That might work for throttle body fuel injected engines to remove fuel deposits on the throttle body but I'd be cautious about doing it on a GDI engine until I found verification from a trusted source no harm can be done.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
I would not touch the MAF sensor in any car Direct Injection or not...I am going to ask somebody about the throttle body cleaning.

I know it's a good idea to clean the throttle body as there is build up and it even caused the "check engine" light to come on in my Accord (it was barely six years old at the time).

CarbonBlackCXS

You've asked a good question and one I haven't found a definitive answer to. I guess the red flag for me is the "throttle" part of it. If there's no throttle then is throttle body cleaner the correct product to use? There's no fuel mixed with air prior to entering the engine.

gasoline_direct_injection_buick36v6.jpg

Shown above is a cutaway of the combustion chamber inside a Buick 3.6L V6 Direct Injection engine.

Last edited:

dbris

Los Angeles
Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse CXS
You've asked a good question and one I haven't found a definitive answer to. I guess the red flag for me is the "throttle" part of it. If there's no throttle then is throttle body cleaner the correct product to use? There's no fuel mixed with air prior to entering the engine.

View attachment 8047

Shown above is a cutaway of the combustion chamber inside a Buick 3.6L V6 Direct Injection engine.
You still have a throttle. The throttle body opens and closes a butterfly that adjusts the airflow to the engine, senses the amount of air that is flowing and adjusts the fuel that is delivered to the engine. (Actually the flow is sensed by the MAF.)

CarbonBlackCXS

I guess I didn't word that right. What I'm questioning is the use of throttle body cleaner in a GDI engine. Because there's no fuel and air mixture entering the engine like there is in a MPFI or TBFI system there should be no fuel residue forming. If there is something to clean, what deposits are forming since its basically just air entering the engine? I'm just questioning the use of throttle body cleaner and brushes. Perhaps there is something more appropriate to use or maybe not. That's what I'm questioning since I haven't found any information on how its cleaned or with what. Does throttle body cleaner work effectively to remove soot/carbon deposits on the intake valve or would it make it more difficult to remove? If TB cleaner and brushes does the job great. Can anybody point me to any information that explains what a "full throttle body induction clean/service" is as applied to a GDI engine?