Who has the highest mileage lacrosse in this forum?

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
'11 CXL-gone, '11 CTS-V Coupe (6M), '13 ZR1 Vette, '69 RS/Z-28 454 cu.in;'15 BMW 550i
Can anybody point me to any information that explains what a "full throttle body induction clean/service" is as applied to a GDI engine?
Google this exactly (cut & paste works good): motor magazine, carbon deposits gdi

The first 4 hits will explain things very well from trusted sources. Motor magazine, Motorage & Underhood service magazines. Lot of reading but explains things very well.

Joe T.

Don't know if this link will work, but it was for the search terms listed above.

https://www.google.com/search?q=motor+magazine,+carbon+deposits+gdi&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
Joe, thanks for chiming in, let me take a read of the information:thumpsup:

Google this exactly (cut & paste works good): motor magazine, carbon deposits gdi

The first 4 hits will explain things very well from trusted sources. Motor magazine, Motorage & Underhood service magazines. Lot of reading but explains things very well.

Joe T.

Don't know if this link will work, but it was for the search terms listed above.

https://www.google.com/search?q=motor+magazine,+carbon+deposits+gdi&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

CarbonBlackCXS

Joe T.

Thanks Joe for the information. I've been aware of the carbon build up on the intake valves thus my concern. From what little I've read so far the 3.6 found in our cars seems to be a little less prone to the carbon build up than some other engines but is still there. I think at this point I'm going to approach this problem from a preventative maintenance perspective and see what can be done to reduce it developing in the first place. I don't believe one can prevent the buildup entirely but hopefully reduce it through changing my driving habits and choice of fuel. Thanks again.

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
As a former reliability test engineer for General Motors, I am in agreement with your assessment. Any engine in which the fuel is injected after the air throttle (direct injection in the case of the LaCrosse V6's, port fuel injection just outside the intake valve) should not have any normal need to clean the air throttle body.

However, I am hearing of engine designs that are considering using a combination of fuel injection methods to optimize the fuel control during both low and high RPM and various loads. I do not know if any of them are considering returning to the throttle body injectors which were in the air flow before the air throttle.

CarbonBlackCXS

As a former reliability test engineer for General Motors, I am in agreement with your assessment. Any engine in which the fuel is injected after the air throttle (direct injection in the case of the LaCrosse V6's, port fuel injection just outside the intake valve) should not have any normal need to clean the air throttle body.

However, I am hearing of engine designs that are considering using a combination of fuel injection methods to optimize the fuel control during both low and high RPM and various loads. I do not know if any of them are considering returning to the throttle body injectors which were in the air flow before the air throttle.
An article I was reading this morning mentions Lexus is doing that now; "Field technicians report that both the Lexus IS 250 and VW’s FSI offerings are beset by a veritable plague of clogged intakes. Later Lexus models solved the deposit problem with a dual injector approach. This system couples the primary direct injector used during stratified charge operation with an auxiliary port injector which operates under homogenous charge conditions specifically known to help scrub away intake deposits. While this strategy certainly increases upfront manufacturing and production costs, it may prove effective in the long term, especially when balanced against lost customers alienated by disassembly and cleaning costs that can easily range as high as $1200 a pop"

The full article can be read here:
http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=2286

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
'11 CXL-gone, '11 CTS-V Coupe (6M), '13 ZR1 Vette, '69 RS/Z-28 454 cu.in;'15 BMW 550i
Thanks Joe for the information.
Joe, thanks for chiming in, let me take a read of the information:thumpsup:
Glad to help :cheers:

BMW is having troubles too with their GDI motors. I think their way of cleaning is to remove the intake manifold & walnut shell blast the valves. Glad I leased this last car I got, now I won't have to do it. :)

tjwhite

PA
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Lacrosse Premium 1
How many miles on your Lacrosse, that made you clean the throttle body? I always thought that driving it hard on the highway(letting it rip), keeps the throttle body for building up as well.

B3AST

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just checking back in. I decided to take it on a 5 hour trip to Atlanta and then another 4 hours over to Columbia SC. About 20 hours overall round trip. I'm now sitting at 143,552 on this 2011. Love this car...

The day after I returned home it wouldn't start so I jumped the battery and headed straight to get a replacement. While on the way, I could see the battery amps decreasing. Needless to say, I had to replace it right there in the parking lot of the auto parts store. There are like 5 different mechanisms holding that battery in place! Crazy!

Anyway, doing well with this high mileage.

CarbonBlackCXS

There are like 5 different mechanisms holding that battery in place! Crazy!

I know what you mean. The battery change out is a bit of a bear the first time one does it. Glad to hear its holding up well. At the rate I'm going my car will be 23 years old before I get to your mileage. :unsure:

tjwhite

PA
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Lacrosse Premium 1
Just checking back in. I decided to take it on a 5 hour trip to Atlanta and then another 4 hours over to Columbia SC. About 20 hours overall round trip. I'm now sitting at 143,552 on this 2011. Love this car...

The day after I returned home it wouldn't start so I jumped the battery and headed straight to get a replacement. While on the way, I could see the battery amps decreasing. Needless to say, I had to replace it right there in the parking lot of the auto parts store. There are like 5 different mechanisms holding that battery in place! Crazy!

Thanks for the update.

MHBlink8

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse CXL
I have a 2011 CXL with the 3.6L engine and around 104k miles on it. My dealer is recommending that I replace the transmission fluid and replace the plugs, which it does say in the manual. All of you high mileage owners out there, have you all done this around 100k miles? I usually don't replace the plugs, but this car has given me no trouble aside from a wheel bearing around 85k miles and I want to keep it running well for another 2 years.

Hensley

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2011 CXL with the 3.6L engine and around 104k miles on it. My dealer is recommending that I replace the transmission fluid and replace the plugs, which it does say in the manual. All of you high mileage owners out there, have you all done this around 100k miles? I usually don't replace the plugs, but this car has given me no trouble aside from a wheel bearing around 85k miles and I want to keep it running well for another 2 years.
You definitely want to do both items, especially the trans fluid. These transmissions are very expensive units to replace - our 2011 just hit 60k miles, so I decided to have the trans fluid changed. However, I'll wait til 100k on the plugs.

B3AST

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just chiming back in. Still rolling strong with no major issues. I had her in for an oil change and throttle body cleaning a few weeks ago. Current mileage: 157409

oldteach

Buick Ownership
Buick
So what is the verdict on throttle body cleaning? Does ours need it or not? What does Buick say? Just wondering.

B3AST

Buick Ownership
Buick
No doubt. I don't know if it's just a blessing or Buick's excellent build quality tbh. I would like to think Buick has a lot to do with this car running rock solid into the 150s. I love this car so much that it has even driven me to thinking about a new LaCrosse or better yet the Avenir if it becomes reality. I REALLY do like the Hyundai Genesis 4Dr though. But, again, this car has been amazing and keeps me thinking "go Buick again".

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.