• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Who is working from home that normally does not because of the Coronavirus

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Valid question, but needs to be maybe expanded to include those who are not working because of the business not being open and is a position that is not possible to perform from home.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
The Coronavirus is a big imported mistake & no-brainier! Why are we even worried about it? I have better things to do! BTW, I do the same things everyday that I did before this 'so called' crisis appeared on the media! Do NOT be multiplied by fake news!

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
My university is "strongly encouraging" us to work remotely. I have two laptops and a desktop at home, and am ordering Internet (long overdue). In the meantime I can come in to my office for a couple of hours each day to handle things, and with luck I can stop at Panera or a local coffee shop chain (if they're open!) to check my email.

I'm more worried about the grocery stores closing or running out of stock. Panic buying was on display Friday afternoon at my local regional chain grocery. But when I got there early Saturday morning, except for ground meat and cleaning stuff, they were pretty well stocked. And Sunday a.m. they were out of bread. But they plan to close at 8 p.m. for a while to enable the staff to clean and restock. In contrast, I hear, Walmart looks as if the Mongol Horde marched through and laid waste to everything; I have no plans to go back there any time soon.

Still, I extracted some cash from the ATM, and will stop at the dollar store on the way home. Last week they were well stocked, so we'll see what is on hand today.

This overreaction is all insane. There has been all of 1 (ONE!) death in Loozyana since this blew up, all of 60 or so in the whole country.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Time to start a new thread on Covid-19 as to who is working, home or otherwise. With the closing of the automotive manufacturers, the downstream vendors are also going down as the "just in time" industry doesn't work to build surplus to anticipate the restart. Watching in Chicago the restaurant and bar locations most are having problems even with a delivery or drive through as the customer's are no longer available in the workplace. Start looking at the staff, then the vendors, the supplier to the vendors you get how deep it will affect everything. 2 weeks seems to be the going rate, but it's starting at different times and places. No assurance that 2 weeks is the absolute answer, but understanding the situation is the first step in how to make a informed decision on how it will have on the daily activities and adapt with logic vs hysteria. I watched as people stood and stared at a empty shelfs of toiletpaper but on the end cap was kleenex boxes which they just walked by, perspective I guess.

On another note crude oil yesterday hit a 20 year low, today it's floating around $22.00 a barrel and that's almost a $40.00 drop in less than 30 days. While it's a price war and significant amount it's seems to be overlooked by Covid-19 by the news media. Unfortunately while it's a great deal to go traveling now there's really no place open to go to LOL, hopefully everyone will be healthy and we can return to our regular disfunctions of a normal life.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Home office since this Monday.
Just slightly little less efficient to get work done.
Luckily, weather is getting warmer outside.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Binge Watching over the Weekend

Just a public service announcement--

If someone in your household feels the urge to binge watch 1950's Annette Funicello/Frankie Avalon movies--DO NOT add "On the Beach" to the list [you can thank me later].

For other genres, maybe "Le Mans" with Steve McQueen, or perhaps "The Gumball Rally" would fit the bill.

Feel free to add your own favourite movies...

JacupV.

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
I’m in Illinois and just outsaide of the Chicago city limits. I work for a hydraulic company in Elgin Illinois and as of yesterday my company completely shut down do to our State governor Issuing a “stay at home” order effective Saturday 5/21/2020 at 5pm. We will remain closed until April 7th. The good thing is. My CFO of the company knows state officials and my company held a emergency meeting 2hrs ahead of the announcement letting us know that the announcement was coming. We’re being forced to use our vacation time first and if the “stay at home” order last longer then two weeks we’ll have to file for unemployment... So that’s that... I’m not sure what I’ll be doing for the next two weeks.. Hopefully I can do some of the customizing I want to do to my Regal in the next two weeks.. I JUST got my summer wheels mounted this past week on Friday just before everything got shut down.... So that was close! LOL!

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
Update:

My university has pretty much sent all the staff home. My boss, colleagues, and I are all working from home. I'd had the foresight to get my MacBook Air equipped to handle the various work platforms, and last week I obtained home Internet for the first time in a while. It's weird to look at a TV show, wonder "Who played that girl on Have Gun -- Will Travel from 1958?", and be able to find out immediately that it was Lana Wood, Natalie's sister, instead of waiting until I get to work.

Groceries are open; most seem to be out of commercial sliced bread, juice, and frequently eggs. (Why? I ask. The chickens are not at risk from the virus.) I'm getting along with tortillas and the bread the deli/bakery departments make. Petco is open, so I can obtain food for the cats, and regular fuel is down to $1.72/gal. at the nearest station. My barber's shop was open today, and I grabbed a quick cut from his business partner.

The admin of my university says something like April 13 for this to run on to. It will be most peculiar on Monday when I am finished with exercising, shaving, and breakfast . . . and then don't have to hop in the car for work. Yes, I've had vacations before. But they always had a firm end date. This doesn't, at least not now.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I live in Illinois but I work in Wisconsin so my place of employment is still open so I plan to go to work on monday. We make surgical devices so the plant is very clean and they are always sanitizing the equipment. We have a plant in France and one in Malaysia and both of them are shutdown. So I imagine our plant will also shutdown if it gets worse in my area.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Just added 3 more weeks to work from home due to new executive order in my state. 😅
I know this may sound crazy, but we actually have to work harder when working from home. :eek:

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
I got put on a 30-day furlough as of yesterday. I can’t work from home, since I build business jets. Many of our suppliers stopped working, and we followed suit. I’ve got yard work and a few car projects on the agenda, and I’m taking it easy in between. Grocery shopping is an adventure all by itself, and if I want real excitement, I’ll stand in the paper goods aisle and watch people slug it out over toilet paper.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I got put on a 30-day furlough as of yesterday. I can’t work from home, since I build business jets. Many of our suppliers stopped working, and we followed suit. I’ve got yard work and a few car projects on the agenda, and I’m taking it easy in between. Grocery shopping is an adventure all by itself, and if I want real excitement, I’ll stand in the paper goods aisle and watch people slug it out over toilet paper.
Furlough means no-pay time off, right?
Sorry to hear that. :(

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Furlough in a simple explaination is without pay, but the employee still retains the company's benefits as technically they are still employed. This gets into exempt vs non-exempt, union workers and government, state or local type positions which all have different employer agreements, conditions and guidelines more than than can be covered in a forum.

This unfortunately can create a double bubble for some employees, this is state dependent and because of the current situation is going in to the unknown for some, they may not be able to get unemployment insurance which can really hurt and adds insult to injury which I truly feel sorry for anyone who may be in this current situation.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The situation is very bad in New York. With over 25,000 confirmed cases the hospitals are reaching full capacity with no end in sight. Since the schools are all shutdown nationwide they should start planning ahead and get beds setup in the schools because they are running out of hospital beds.

What I don't understand is why isn't the USA more prepared for this? The CDC knew about the highly contagious coronavirus in 2003 after the SARS worldwide outbreak and how deadly it can be, yet they don't seem to have a good plan in place to fight this virus.

They also stopped working on a vaccine for that virus which was a mistake because it might have helped in the development of a vaccine to fight this one. And the way it looks right now, unless this virus dies off it might be around for a year or more so they need to finish the vaccine no matter what.

Turbo Buick Badge