Who's buying a 2018 Regal?

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Thread starter #1
Who will be the first brave forum member?

[Won't be me, not because I can't see myself buying the car - I need more time to pay down my current Regal's loan, and I never buy first model year]

ArtBuick

Delaware
Buick Ownership
Had 2007 CTS, Looked at GS, 2016 ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
My ATS lease ends this year in Dec 2017. I plan to look at the 2018 Regal GS.
Otherwise probably get another ATS.

Price, performance, stereo, cornering, seats, size, sportback, etc, will all be important.
First model year would be a concern. Also a Cadillac MSRP of about $5,000 more than
a Buick, will lease at about the same payment, due to a higher Cadillac residual and more
markup for a discount. Costco has supplier pricing on either car, unless Buick doesn't want to
include the new Regal in that.

Since Regals will be made in Germany, I figure it will be a fairly long wait to custom order a Regal.
Since dealers never have many if any GS in stock, its going to be harder to get it the way we want it.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well at least the Insignia will have been in production for about 6 months when they start building the Regal. Though I have a feeling the GS might have a late production start, maybe not even until early 2018. The Holden Commodore which is the primary market for the V6, doesn't go on sale until early 2018.

If I do get one it won't be for another two years.

IL
Buick Ownership
none
Given the relative dearth of station wagons, I am strongly considering the TourX - next car probably to be purchased used at some point in 2018.
My 2003 I35 has been a champ, other than normal wear and tear (it is 14 years old!) and that annoying rust-prone exhaust (common issue on this generation of Infinitis).

I wish it were about 3-5" shorter (196.3" long), but liking it so far otherwise. The Golf Alltrack/Sportwagen and V60 are too small for my tastes (180"182"). The Outback (189.6") is a good length, but gotten too SUV-like (too high, too tall cabin), and no CarPlay/Android Auto. BMW, Audi, MB, V90 XC, Jag wagons are too expensive (insurance on used also too expensive).

Remains to be seen what the insurance would be on the TourX. If not the TourX, the idea of a 4 door coupe like the Regal Sportback/Kia Stinger/VW Arteon is intriguing and I would consider them over a standard sedan. Not an SUV/CUV fan at all, although my wife is...

Question now is which trim level. 1SV and 1SB both have cloth interiors, while only 1SL has leather. At a minimum, looks like I'll want the 1SB which has the Driver Confidence and Sights & Sounds packages available (not available on 1SV).

Big bummer that only 1SL gets heated steering wheel/front seats and hands free liftgate. I love my Infiniti's heated front (and rear!) seats and heated steering wheel for these cold midwestern winters.

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Thread starter #5
I've become a fan of the heated steering wheel as well. Not something I would have ever thought I'd grow to appreciate. I have a mild case of Renald's which is a circulatory problem with toes and fingers, so the heated steering wheel buys me quite a bit of comfort where none existed before on the coldest mornings.

davewg

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
Given the relative dearth of station wagons, I am strongly considering the TourX - next car probably to be purchased used at some point in 2018.
My 2003 I35 has been a champ, other than normal wear and tear (it is 14 years old!) and that annoying rust-prone exhaust (common issue on this generation of Infinitis).

I wish it were about 3-5" shorter (196.3" long), but liking it so far otherwise. The Golf Alltrack/Sportwagen and V60 are too small for my tastes (180"182"). The Outback (189.6") is a good length, but gotten too SUV-like (too high, too tall cabin), and no CarPlay/Android Auto. BMW, Audi, MB, V90 XC, Jag wagons are too expensive (insurance on used also too expensive).

Remains to be seen what the insurance would be on the TourX. If not the TourX, the idea of a 4 door coupe like the Regal Sportback/Kia Stinger/VW Arteon is intriguing and I would consider them over a standard sedan. Not an SUV/CUV fan at all, although my wife is...
Your analysis, list of potential contenders, and situation (wife liking SUVs) more or less mirrors mine. The Alltrack is still a consideration for me, but I don't think it has enough power, though it can be tuned. I am interested in the Golf R though I do worry about not having enough stuff space (we're pretty active around here).

4cylinder

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Considering getting one, but the tech needs to be at the very least at the same level as my mostly-loaded Ford Fusion to seal the deal.

Right now I don't see front park assist or automatic parallel parking as options on the Regal Sportback in Essence trim, which is strange when you consider that the Chevrolet Malibu and even the Opel Insignia which is the same car as the Regal are already offering those.

Photos of the GS show that front park assist should be offered on that trim at least, but I have no interest in extra-large wheels or a large engine. I hope they don't do what they did with the previous gen Regal and limit the best tech to the GS.

Waiting for more details... come on GM!

Hulk311

Buick Ownership
Buick
I plan on buying the 2018 Regal in 3 years when someone turns it in from a lease and I can get it for 40-60% off. :)

IL
Buick Ownership
none
I plan on buying the 2018 Regal in 3 years when someone turns it in from a lease and I can get it for 40-60% off. :)
Thinking of something like that, too. Regardless, I'll be looking at a used one in 1-3 years time. Ideally, it'd be a CPO in 2 years. I'll even take a demo with a few thousand miles on it if it's toward the end of the model year, provided I need the car sooner than later.

Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm looking to buy a TourX in Essence trim, so I should be able to buy it this year. I was really hoping for a brown interior.
From reading http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-buick-regal-tourx-dissected-feature "When properly equipped, the heated and cooled front seats also get the leather treatment." I've read in other places that front and rear seats should be heated as well. Fingers crossed.

atomicbee

Southern California
Buick Ownership
2014 AWD PR 2
I have my Buick Sales rep looking to get one sent to the dealership by November/December so I can test drive the new GS or sport hatch and hopefully preorder by new year...now I have to find a private buyer for my 2014...that's going to be a challenge

Buick Ownership
Buick
Placed my order yesterday. Sport Red TourX Essence with Ebony Interior, driver confidence package #1, and the sights and sounds package. I skipped the panoramic roof and driver confidence #2. Employee pricing used.

My first GM vehicle and my first non-Japanese car since my 1986 Ford Mustang and 1988 Mercury Tracer. Normally I would not buy a first year car but timing is driving this decision.

Now the long wait for delivery that will test my patience. Even the dealers seem unsure when they will arrive. I was told 45 - 90 days which is a pretty big window. One dealer had one already on order and being built this week (week of Sept 25).

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Thread starter #14
I would imagine their assembly lines are in full swing and you'll get yours closer to that 45 day mark. Enjoy!

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks.

Order is at status 3100 (available to sequence) with a target production week of November 6. Seems pretty far out for status 3100 so I am hoping that production date moves up. Even if it is built in early November I should have it before Christmas. From some research and discussions it seems to be 30 days from production in Europe to delivery in the US. Fingers crossed.

RegalDesire

4.6L Northstar Member
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS
Placed my order yesterday. Sport Red TourX Essence with Ebony Interior, driver confidence package #1, and the sights and sounds package. I skipped the panoramic roof and driver confidence #2. Employee pricing used.

My first GM vehicle and my first non-Japanese car since my 1986 Ford Mustang and 1988 Mercury Tracer. Normally I would not buy a first year car but timing is driving this decision.

Now the long wait for delivery that will test my patience. Even the dealers seem unsure when they will arrive. I was told 45 - 90 days which is a pretty big window. One dealer had one already on order and being built this week (week of Sept 25).
How'd ya do THAT? The configurator on the Buick website isn't even available AFAICS! :ohmy:

Buick Ownership
Buick
There was an article online from a regional dealer about the TourX. I contacted the salesman named in the article and he told me they had placed their orders and expected the TourX in late December and he made a note to call me when they came in. I contacted about 5 local dealers via their website and of those 5 one said they would be happy to place an order for me. I went to the GM employee pricing site and spec'd out what I wanted and printed it out. Took it with me to the dealership, they punched it into the computer, I left a deposit, and that was it.

The TourX has never been on the Buick site to my knowledge other than the "coming soon" page they have for it.
The interesting thing is that the TourX was on the GM employee pricing website (www.gmfamilyfirst.com). But checking back today I see it is gone. I wonder what that is all about. Guess I should be glad I caught that small window.

Still hoping it gets built before November 6!

jpfahrstar

Buick Ownership
Buick
You mentioned that your order was at status 3100. Is there a list of all of the status codes and what they mean?

Hope it doesn't take too long to ship your's over to the states. Good Luck!

I'm really torn between ordering a new TourX right now and waiting to actually see one and test drive it before putting in an order. It's driving me nuts.

Buick Ownership
Buick
I was torn too but had to pull the trigger sight unseen which is really out of my comfort zone and out of character for me. There are YouTube reviews of the 2018 Opel Insignia Sports Tourer from CarWow which gave me enough of an idea on the space and general characteristics that helped. Also found a review from Australia of the 2018 Holden Commodore Tourer which said the interior is about the same size as the outgoing model which is the Chevy SS in the US. I had a chance to sit in the SS and liked that size. There are some other articles from Australia where they said they really liked the 2.0T performance more than the twin turbo diesel option they get. So all that really helped. Add to that there were no other vehicles I liked that met my needs/wants and I was willing to take a leap of faith. I would much prefer the Sports Tourer version than the Country Tourer but no car is perfect. And, while I might take a bath financially, I can always sell it after a couple years if it isn't right for me. Also, with PSA now owning Opel I heard that while they plan to continue production per the contract they may start putting PSA engines into some vehicles to help with cost control. That helped my decision to purchase sooner than later as well. Good luck with your decision, its never easy is it?

I found a list of the production codes on another forum so I take no credit or responsibility for these. My understanding is some codes rather than XX00 will be XX50 if the vehicle is being shipped from outside the US.

• 500, this is a dealer stock order code used to order common vehicles. Please contact your dealer to receive an actual active order number.
• 1100, Preliminary order accepted (This means your dealer has entered your order into their system but does not mean they have the allocation to submit the order to GM yet. Speak with your dealer to verify when they expect to be able to submit your order for production)
• 2000, Order accepted by GM (This means the order has been submitted and accepted by production. You are now on your way.)
• 2030, Order re-edited (if necessary) (This is simply an edit code showing that something on your order has been changed. It does not mean your order has been accepted to production and really does not mean anything beyond your previous status other than a change has been made.)
• 2051, Order changed thru Web (same as above)
• 2500, Order preferenced (This means that the Order has been moved to the stage that parts department is now ready to place the orders for the components that will become your car)
• 3000, Order accepted by production control (This is the response from production to your 2500 status and is when Parts are actually ordered. No further changes can be made to your order once you reach this point.)
• 3100, Order available to sequence (This is more or less an inter-office memo from Parts to Production saying all parts are committed to this build, they are clear to sequence them for the build.)
• 3300, Order scheduled for production (This is the response to the 3100 status where Production is cleared to sequence and schedule the build) TPW usually avaiable
• 3400, Order broadcast (This is when the order is actually loaded onto the production line computers and parts are being staged for the build)
• 3800, Order produced (The vehicle is completed and has rolled off the line. A Vin is now available.)
• 4000, Available to ship (Vehicle is off the line and available to ship)
• 4104, Bailment Invoice (Shipping documents generated)
• 4200, Shipped (Vehicle has been moved by a carrier to another location or destination. If in combination with a 4300 status code then this is transfer to either a vendor for upfitting or to a distribution yard for final transportation.)
• 4300, Intermediate Delivery (In combination with a 4200 this is saying that the vehicle has been transported to a vendor or to a distribution center.)
• 4B00, Bayed (listed anytime a vehicle is sitting parked waiting for next mode of transportation. It can also be this status while in Quality Control)
• 4800 Rail Ramp Unload, end of the line by (if) rail. To be delivered by truck to dealer
• 5000, Delivered to the dealer
• 6000, Delivered to the customer
• 9000, Order Cancelled

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.