• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Who's getting the Trifecta black Friday deal?

Chockomon

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback AWD
3 Things that are keeping me away from a tune.
1. Loss of power train warranty.
2. 93 Octane fuel requirement.
3. Lack of actual measured acceleration time to speed or 1/4 mile times vs. stock, despite all the hype.
Once I have the tune installed, I'll measure 0-60 multiple times before and after. No 1/4 mile though :(

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
1) I still have my powertrain warranty after being tuned for 5 years and having warranty work done to my car.
2) The additional cost of premium fuel is well worth it for the added performance of the tune.
3) Since I don't race my car I'm ok with not knowing how fast it is, but I do know it's a lot more fun to drive.
l should have said
1. Potential and likely loss of power train warranty if any possible issue arises that there is a somewhat defendable position that issue could be result of the tune. I watch too may lawyer shows on TV.

Last edited:

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
Once I have the tune installed, I'll measure 0-60 multiple times before and after. No 1/4 mile though :(
What are you going to use to measure the runs?

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Yes, please do. The only thing we have to go off of is someone who doesn't have the same drivetrain as us, or even the same platform.
A better test of power gain would be 40-90 or 40-110 if you are in a rural area with a good highway.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Any chance you got a chance to do some comparison tests?

Also, does anyone remember what the sale price was of the Advantage tune and Elite tune? I see there is a discount on the site currently but not sure how this stacks up to the black Friday sale.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I thought it was around that but for some reason I thought the base tune was under $400. Regular price is $499 and currently on sale for $449..so 10% off.

Billib

Buick Ownership
TourX
I think it was 368$. I was going to get one but requires windows 10. This old fart is stll using windows 7, lol.

Chockomon

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback AWD
I think it was 368$. I was going to get one but requires windows 10. This old fart is stll using windows 7, lol.
Correct - and it also came with free shipping.

So I have installed the tune and it absolutely makes a difference! I haven't had a chance to conduct any 0-60 due to crappy weather but here's my first impression
1 - GM definitely is limiting torque in 1st gear and MAYBE 2nd gear on these transmissions - the greatest power can be felt from 3rd on
2 - Given number 1, I don't know how much better 0-60 really will be. I'll confirm when I get the chance to conduct repeated testing
3 - Passing power is much improved for sure - there's a lot more torque across the entire RPM range
4 - I'm not convinced there's really any transmission "tuning" - shifts feel similar, the only real difference is gears are held longer more often, however, less throttle input is required for downshifts

Overall I'm happy!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Correct - and it also came with free shipping.

So I have installed the tune and it absolutely makes a difference! I haven't had a chance to conduct any 0-60 due to crappy weather but here's my first impression
1 - GM definitely is limiting torque in 1st gear and MAYBE 2nd gear on these transmissions - the greatest power can be felt from 3rd on
2 - Given number 1, I don't know how much better 0-60 really will be. I'll confirm when I get the chance to conduct repeated testing
3 - Passing power is much improved for sure - there's a lot more torque across the entire RPM range
4 - I'm not convinced there's really any transmission "tuning" - shifts feel similar, the only real difference is gears are held longer more often, however, less throttle input is required for downshifts

Overall I'm happy!
8 speed or 9? How is the drive-ability? 55-to 85mph makes a good 3rd gear pull.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I'm glad to hear you like the tune, I'm a happy Trifecta customer too. The tune should have removed all torque management, doing that allows the car to accelerate harder from a stop. Trifecta wouldn't have left it in there over concern about tire spin when launching because you have an all wheel drive Regal. Since the transmission holds gears longer and it down shifts with less throttle input, that indicates it has been tuned also.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
This is really all I want out of the transmission, but have decided I can wait until my warranty is up before tuning.

Chockomon

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback AWD
8 speed or 9? How is the drive-ability? 55-to 85mph makes a good 3rd gear pull.
8 Speed Sportback AWD - drivability is good, will need to get used to throttle inputs for downshifting. I've definitely found it easier to use the manual gear selector

I'm glad to hear you like the tune, I'm a happy Trifecta customer too. The tune should have removed all torque management, doing that allows the car to accelerate harder from a stop. Trifecta wouldn't have left it in there over concern about tire spin when launching because you have an all wheel drive Regal. Since the transmission holds gears longer and it down shifts with less throttle input, that indicates it has been tuned also.
There's definitely still torque management in 1st and maybe 2nd. I do feel more top end HP in both gears, however. As far as transmission tuning, my point was more around shift clutch engagement/shift time. It doesn't feel like any of that has been changed, just the logic for when to up and downshift

This is really all I want out of the transmission, but have decided I can wait until my warranty is up before tuning.
I really wish COBB made something for our cars! Less worry about warranty

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
I think it is important to be clear for other readers. Trifecta does not remove Torque Management. They augment the way it is applied. Trifecta manages drivability (ex. torque steer or hard shifts) for the average user. They also use Torque Management to provide protections for overheating or abnormal condition (ex. environmental conditions). Trifecta does become more liberal with parameters but do put safeguards in place to ensure longevity of motor and transmission.

With that in mind, if you want a custom tune that removes some or all of those thresholds, they will oblige.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Yeah I was confused by those folks saying torque management was removed - torque management is there to protect the transmission. Everybody does it to a certain extent in these modern engines/transmissions. Kia/Hyundai definitely do it with their 8-speed auto in the Stinger, G70, G80, etc...

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
The amount of slip I have I think will end up causing problems. Sometimes this stupid thing feels like a CVT and will just hold around 3k rpm.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
8 Speed Sportback AWD - drivability is good, will need to get used to throttle inputs for downshifting. I've definitely found it easier to use the manual gear selector
There's definitely still torque management in 1st and maybe 2nd. I do feel more top end HP in both gears, however. As far as transmission tuning, my point was more around shift clutch engagement/shift time. It doesn't feel like any of that has been changed, just the logic for when to up and downshift
They probably left some torque management because you have the 8 speed which has lower gear ratios than my 6 speed and that could allow the car to generate too much low end torque. My car pulls hard in all gears so I know it has no torque management. I just thought it was odd that they have it in the lower gears of the TourX and not mine. I understand what you mean about shifting quickness & firmness being the same. But it's good that it responds better now to throttle input and has more power on the top.

Even with torque management in 1st and 2nd, would it be possible to make the shifts more crisp/positive by increasing pressure in the torque converter lockup to reduce slip between gear changes? Or would that impact longevity/durability?
The torque converter doesn't slip during gear changes. What you feel is the transmission clutches disengaging then re-engaging into the next gear, and yes that can be modified to engage quicker & firmer. My car definitely shifts quicker & firmer after the Trifecta tune.

Maybe they couldn't figure out how to do that on the TourX transmission or they thought it might break something. Which leads us back to the torque management dilemma, maybe my transmission is stronger than the TourX transmission since it's tuned to shift more aggressively and has no torque management in the lower gears.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo M6
They also use Torque Management to provide protections for overheating or abnormal condition (ex. environmental conditions). Trifecta does become more liberal with parameters but do put safeguards in place to ensure longevity of motor and transmission.

With that in mind, if you want a custom tune that removes some or all of those thresholds, they will oblige.
I really think if you are serious about transmission longevity, then you should install the largest aftermarket transmission fluid cooler you can fit. If you can keep ATF below 180F, it will last a very long time. Using engine coolant is not the best way to cool ATF, which most manufacturers utilize. A quality synthetic oil along with an aftermarket cooler should allow you to remove all of the torque management. Just use something like Torque to monitor ATF temperature.

Turbo Buick Badge