• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Who's using Hi-Test or Premium Fuel 93 Octane TourX and Regal 2018 2019

WAGONTHEDOG

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Hi Folks, I've got a whole 550 miles on my Smoked Pearl / Shale 2018 TourX and just put my first gas in the vehicle. I ALWAYS use Top Tier gas and have for years as recommended ( TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands ) but I am not at all convinced that the TourX requires premiium for general use (not towing, not involved in a sporting event ;-) , or operating at outside temperatures below 90 degrees F. While I'm sure that the edge of the performance envelope might be affected and perhaps MPGs by a small percentage I'm not excited about buying 93 octane fuel which is running about 20% more give or take than 87. The MPG differential is certainly not going to make up for that cost and since I'm operating primarily in northern New England I'm also not concerned about the increased volatility of 87 octane unless I'm working the car in high temps. I may use 93 from time to time in the summer or when I'm towing. My experience with modern power plants tells me that they are more than capable of making the needed adjustments. I'd like to hear how the rest of you feel about that and what you are using in the tank. I'm no genius but more familiar than many with cars of all kinds as a small time collector and long time high performance club driving instructor. Full disclosure, my other GM products are currently a 1967 Camaro SS/RS 350, and a 1964 Pontiac GP 389 with factory trips.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Turbocharged 4 cylinder engines will not get the performance or fuel mileage they are built for without 91+ octane fuel. Hit the pedal to pass a vehicle and see the difference between 87 and 91 fuel. You should also see a noticeable difference in your mpg.

WAGONTHEDOG

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Can you substantiate this on the TourX with real world #'s and experience? That's what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Read this.

My seat of the pants dyno has not noticed any difference between 87 and 93. If someone wants to pay for some all wheel dyno time to test the difference between 87 and 93 I’d volunteer my car. ;)

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I use premium because of the extra cleaners, not because of the octane.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Are there extra cleaners in premium? I’ve seen all grades marked as having the same cleaning additives when I’ve been at the pump.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
From the technology side, all vehicle's have a general set window of operational control, the tuner guys know that there's more in there, but it has limits on how far it's been programed to be exceed by the manufacturer. Just as you are looking to go down on the octane ratings the same type of issue also works on increasing the octane. Getting general here so let's not get to focused, but a vehicle that has been setup for 87 may not have the programming in it to run 93, timing among other components, so it's not going to be any improvement or minimal. Now if a tuner gets in they can change the factory window and put programming in to optimize the 93 octane.

So if the program window is big enough to run the lower octane there shouldn't be a problem, but like anything else long term is unkown. Here's a list of other vehicles that have the 93 octane recommend and it may be a option to check those forums if it's been addressed.

15 Unexpected Cars That Run On Premium-Grade Gas

Your other rides are nice by the way. A neighbor, back when I was in high school in the early 70's, had a GTO with the trip carbs. PITA to setup but when they were working right they were a thing of beauty. Ahh the dark ages LOL.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Manual says 87 octane is OK but performance and/or fuel economy MAY suffer.
But it doesn't say anything about the engine getting damaged from using 87 octane.

If you don't full throttle your TourX all the time, I guarantee you 87 octane will be safe in your car.

GM ECM's have come a long way and they will pull timing IF the engine has pre-detonating from the lower octane.

Right now my HP-Tuners desn't support the 2018 Regal, so it can only scan a few dozen channels and Knock Retard is not one of them.

But if I could scan for Knock, I would definitely run the lowest octane that doesn't cause pre-detonation.

Octane Rating is just a Anti Knock Index. The higher the octane, the better it resists Kock (pre-detonation)

I went down the 1/4 mile 2 times this summer with my 2018 Sportback 2.0 FWD. Fist time I used a mix of 91 and 94 octane. Second time I mixed 94 octane with Race Gas Concentrate and ended up with something around 103-105 Octane. And the 1/4 mile times were exactly the same both days. So higher octane doesn't always mean more power. Sometimes higher octane can give less power and worst fuel economy.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
One thing for sure is in the colder winter weather you can safely use lower octane and not have any difference in power or fuel economy.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
wagonthedog - this thread from the Encore section might interest you, particularly post #9. 87 vs 93
I realize the vehicle and engine are different but the principle remains the same. GM recommends 93 octane for the 2L turbo but it is not required.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
From the technology side, all vehicle's have a general set window of operational control, the tuner guys know that there's more in there, but it has limits on how far it's been programed to be exceed by the manufacturer. Just as you are looking to go down on the octane ratings the same type of issue also works on increasing the octane. Getting general here so let's not get to focused, but a vehicle that has been setup for 87 may not have the programming in it to run 93, timing among other components, so it's not going to be any improvement or minimal. Now if a tuner gets in they can change the factory window and put programming in to optimize the 93 octane.

So if the program window is big enough to run the lower octane there shouldn't be a problem, but like anything else long term is unkown. Here's a list of other vehicles that have the 93 octane recommend and it may be a option to check those forums if it's been addressed.

15 Unexpected Cars That Run On Premium-Grade Gas

Your other rides are nice by the way. A neighbor, back when I was in high school in the early 70's, had a GTO with the trip carbs. PITA to setup but when they were working right they were a thing of beauty. Ahh the dark ages LOL.

Triple Carburetors? What is a carburetor? 😳 What are Points and condenser? 😱 What is a Dwell Meter?

BTW, my TR3A had twin SU Carbs. They were Concentric or Constant Velocity. Never had problems keeping two in sync but friends with Triple Catb Austin Healys always had problems.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
LMAO Lucas Prince of Darkness electronics. But we also had a different way of getting octane back then by turning the knob to "11" which was needed for high compression engines and tweaking the timing as much as you could.

blend-10.jpg wayne_10.jpg

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
LMAO Lucas Prince of Darkness electronics. But we also had a different way of getting octane back then by turning the knob to "11" which was needed for high compression engines and tweaking the timing as much as you could.

View attachment 12683 View attachment 12684

Yes. Lucas was known as "the Prince of Darkness".

Looking at that Sunoco pump reminds me --- Do you remember when Sunoco gas was blue?
Advertised as "New Blue Sunoco".
Also, Amoco was the only unleaded white gas.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Modern cars have smart ignition systems. Knock sensors detect spark knock and the PCM pulls timing to avoid engine damage. If your owners manual says 87 is OK, then it is OK. Higher octane fuel will allow the PCM to advance ignition timing for more power. The only time you might feel or see this is on a Chassis Dyno or Dragstrip. Fuel mileage should be close if not the same as an engine can tolerate more timing during light load cruising. Premium fuel does not contain more detergents, it is higher octane fuel. The higher the octane, the slower the burn rate, which is more detonation resistance.

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I remember seeing bumper stickers that said, "The British drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigerators."

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I think Sunoco still has blue for the racing 112 octane fuel and others companies dye the fuels for different reasons, seasonal, diesel, avation, etc. Amoco white fuel was just unleaded in the 60's before it became normal, but they had to call it something other than unleaded as it probably wouldn't have sold lol.

Sorry for wasting anyone's time on the trip down memory lane, but sometimes you got know where you have been to know where you are going.

LARRY70GS has it correct on octane.

WAGONTHEDOG

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Modern cars have smart ignition systems. Knock sensors detect spark knock and the PCM pulls timing to avoid engine damage. If your owners manual says 87 is OK, then it is OK. Higher octane fuel will allow the PCM to advance ignition timing for more power. The only time you might feel or see this is on a Chassis Dyno or Dragstrip. Fuel mileage should be close if not the same as an engine can tolerate more timing during light load cruising. Premium fuel does not contain more detergents, it is higher octane fuel. The higher the octane, the slower the burn rate, which is more detonation resistance.

Agreed on all counts.. I like to have company ;-)

Kappy

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Manual says 87 octane is OK but performance and/or fuel economy MAY suffer.
But it doesn't say anything about the engine getting damaged from using 87 octane.

If you don't full throttle your TourX all the time, I guarantee you 87 octane will be safe in your car.

GM ECM's have come a long way and they will pull timing IF the engine has pre-detonating from the lower octane.

Right now my HP-Tuners desn't support the 2018 Regal, so it can only scan a few dozen channels and Knock Retard is not one of them.

But if I could scan for Knock, I would definitely run the lowest octane that doesn't cause pre-detonation.

Octane Rating is just a Anti Knock Index. The higher the octane, the better it resists Kock (pre-detonation)

I went down the 1/4 mile 2 times this summer with my 2018 Sportback 2.0 FWD. Fist time I used a mix of 91 and 94 octane. Second time I mixed 94 octane with Race Gas Concentrate and ended up with something around 103-105 Octane. And the 1/4 mile times were exactly the same both days. So higher octane doesn't always mean more power. Sometimes higher octane can give less power and worst fuel economy.
What were your 1/4 mile times?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!