• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Who's using Hi-Test or Premium Fuel 93 Octane TourX and Regal 2018 2019

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT

Good links. Thanks.
One think about the second link I'd like to say. Is the Test was done in RON (Research Octane Number) which is what Europe and other places around the world use. But here in North America we use AKI ( Anti Knock Index ). So the Shell V-power came out as being 98 RON octane which for our land is equivalent to 93 AKI Octane.
Reason why I say this is because folks who read that post will think Shell V-power test came out as 98 octane when it reality it came out to 93 which is what it's supposed to be.
And the other sample came from a car rental company's tank, and tested to be 87.5 RON octane which would be closer to 85 octane in Amerika.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Just cause... this morning on my way home from work I filled my Sportback 2.0t with 87 octane.

If the car lost some performance, it's not enough to notice.

I'll keep ya'll updated as I fly around with this 87 octane.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Late reply but here is the stuff that I used.... They sell one that makes up to 105 octane and another that makes up to 116 octane. I used the one for up to 105 octane.

RACE GAS | Racing Fuel Concentrate

On the bottle it shows how many ounces per gallon to mix and obtain anywhere up to 105 octane.

View attachment 12810

So practically 2 ounces of Race Gas concentrate will raise the octane of 1 gallon of gasoline 4 full octane numbers (40 points of octane).

Local performance shop owner said it's good stuff :rolleyes:

So for 30.00, you can raise the octane of 16 gallons of fuel, 4 numbers. Wonder what's in it. Looks like this is one component,

Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl - Wikipedia

Last edited:

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
Late reply but here is the stuff that I used.... They sell one that makes up to 105 octane and another that makes up to 116 octane. I used the one for up to 105 octane.

Using higher octane than what the tune is set up for is a waste of money. The OEM tunes are so conservative to account for many variables such as altitude, variation in gas, temperature that you can probably drop from 93 to 89 and never have a knock sensor go off.

G-495608

Hi Folks, I've got a whole 550 miles on my Smoked Pearl / Shale 2018 TourX and just put my first gas in the vehicle. I ALWAYS use Top Tier gas and have for years as recommended ( TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands ) but I am not at all convinced that the TourX requires premiium for general use (not towing, not involved in a sporting event ;-) , or operating at outside temperatures below 90 degrees F. While I'm sure that the edge of the performance envelope might be affected and perhaps MPGs by a small percentage I'm not excited about buying 93 octane fuel which is running about 20% more give or take than 87. The MPG differential is certainly not going to make up for that cost and since I'm operating primarily in northern New England I'm also not concerned about the increased volatility of 87 octane unless I'm working the car in high temps. I may use 93 from time to time in the summer or when I'm towing. My experience with modern power plants tells me that they are more than capable of making the needed adjustments. I'd like to hear how the rest of you feel about that and what you are using in the tank. I'm no genius but more familiar than many with cars of all kinds as a small time collector and long time high performance club driving instructor. Full disclosure, my other GM products are currently a 1967 Camaro SS/RS 350, and a 1964 Pontiac GP 389 with factory trips.

I have the same exact TourX. I use cheap Walmart 91 octane June-Aug 2019 price $2.50-2.70/gal.
Much more energy in premium because of long chain hydrocarbons vs 87 short chain hydrocarbons. At 91 octane 72-74 MPH I obtain 35 MPG with the wind and 32 against the wind.

G-175483

Actually, since the TOURX is nothing else than a rebranded German Opel Insigma, produced in Rüsselsheim Germany in a plant now owned by Peugeout, you are driving an all European Buick - LOl
So these cars are pretty much designed and mass produced for the Euripean/German. Market and just FYI - there is no more low grade ( <91 octane ) fuel available at any gas station in Germany nowadays - they Pfades that out several years ago. All you. An buy there is now „Super“ and Super +

so my suggestion is to go by the manufacturer recommendation in this case to be safe.

72buickgs

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sporthatch, 1972 Buick GS
LMAO Lucas Prince of Darkness electronics. But we also had a different way of getting octane back then by turning the knob to "11" which was needed for high compression engines and tweaking the timing as much as you could.

View attachment 12683 View attachment 12684
I remember 260 Sunoco back in the '60's & '70's. Run the gas tank to near empty then fill with 260 & go racing!!

72buickgs

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sporthatch, 1972 Buick GS
Hi Folks, I've got a whole 550 miles on my Smoked Pearl / Shale 2018 TourX and just put my first gas in the vehicle. I ALWAYS use Top Tier gas and have for years as recommended ( TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands ) but I am not at all convinced that the TourX requires premiium for general use (not towing, not involved in a sporting event ;-) , or operating at outside temperatures below 90 degrees F. While I'm sure that the edge of the performance envelope might be affected and perhaps MPGs by a small percentage I'm not excited about buying 93 octane fuel which is running about 20% more give or take than 87. The MPG differential is certainly not going to make up for that cost and since I'm operating primarily in northern New England I'm also not concerned about the increased volatility of 87 octane unless I'm working the car in high temps. I may use 93 from time to time in the summer or when I'm towing. My experience with modern power plants tells me that they are more than capable of making the needed adjustments. I'd like to hear how the rest of you feel about that and what you are using in the tank. I'm no genius but more familiar than many with cars of all kinds as a small time collector and long time high performance club driving instructor. Full disclosure, my other GM products are currently a 1967 Camaro SS/RS 350, and a 1964 Pontiac GP 389 with factory trips.
I have a new 2019 Regal Sporthatch 2.0L Turbo running on 89 octane. right now the about town if 15.9 mpg! abou 325 miles. A forthcoming trip to Fla should break in the engine & improve mpg.
My old car is a 1972 Buick GS #s match 350 red/black. A true GS with paperwork. Love the car. Runs on 91 octane Shell (no alcohol in this gas). Purchased in 2000 and we restored it.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Actually, since the TOURX is nothing else than a rebranded German Opel Insigma, produced in Rüsselsheim Germany in a plant now owned by Peugeout, you are driving an all European Buick - LOl
So these cars are pretty much designed and mass produced for the Euripean/German. Market and just FYI - there is no more low grade ( <91 octane ) fuel available at any gas station in Germany nowadays - they Pfades that out several years ago. All you. An buy there is now „Super“ and Super +

so my suggestion is to go by the manufacturer recommendation in this case to be safe.

Fuel octane ratings in Europe are different than North American.
They use RON ( Research Octane Rating ) to rate their octane while we in North America use AKI ( Anti Knock Index ) ( RON + MON) / 2 = AKI.
MON ( Motor Octane Number )
European RON 93 octane is the same as 88.5 AKI in North America.
95 RON = 90.5 AKI.
98 RON = 93 AKI.

Mac-427

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX

It's pretty simple for me. The gas door sticker calls for premium octane so I run it. I traded a Camaro SS to purchase my TourX and am impressed with the performance on premium. To me, the increased cost of premium is marginal compared to the performance benefits.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
It's pretty simple for me. The gas door sticker calls for premium octane so I run it. I traded a Camaro SS to purchase my TourX and am impressed with the performance on premium. To me, the increased cost of premium is marginal compared to the performance benefits.

On the gas door it states " Premium Recommend " which is not the same as " Premium Only ".
The average driver has nothing to gain by using premium fuel. Only those who have a heavy foot might benefit from premium fuel.
The knock sensors and the ECM will not allow the engine to get hurt, and in cold climate using regular gas can be the better choice if the knock sensors are not picking up pre-detonation.
The boost makes heat, same as high compression NA engines. And it's the excessive heat is what causes pre-detonation ( aka Knock ).
So freezing cold winter air nullifies the excess heat, thus making higher octane not necessary.
Higher octane's ONLY job is to resist pre-detonation by making the fuel slower to ignite and burn.

JoeBlog

Buick Newbie
Wichita
Buick Ownership
1967 Wildcat Convertible, 2019 Regal TourX Essence
To me, it’s a moot point. While some have concisely argued their octane choice decision using irrefutable scientific data and sound petroleum engineering knowledge, for me it’s quite easy. GM/Buick/Opel/Peugeot/soon-to-be FCA/whoever buys it next recommends a particular octane fuel. The price differences between fuels is usually .10-.20 per gallon locally. Most everyone I know (including me) has a grocery/warehouse/loyalty card that gives a discount on said fuels. My discounts usually cover the difference in price, and then some, between the cheapest (89 octane AKI) and the most expensive (93 octane AKI) fuels. Since my go pedal/seat-of-the-pants dyno indicates my choice of fuel has been a good one, I’ll keep making it. And, no, I did not leave my choice of said fuel out of this dialogue by accident.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
To me, it’s a moot point. While some have concisely argued their octane choice decision using irrefutable scientific data and sound petroleum engineering knowledge, for me it’s quite easy. GM/Buick/Opel/Peugeot/soon-to-be FCA/whoever buys it next recommends a particular octane fuel. The price differences between fuels is usually .10-.20 per gallon locally. Most everyone I know (including me) has a grocery/warehouse/loyalty card that gives a discount on said fuels. My discounts usually cover the difference in price, and then some, between the cheapest (89 octane AKI) and the most expensive (93 octane AKI) fuels. Since my go pedal/seat-of-the-pants dyno indicates my choice of fuel has been a good one, I’ll keep making it. And, no, I did not leave my choice of said fuel out of this dialogue by accident.

Believe it or not... Where I live I Canada ( South Western Ontario ), difference in price between regular and premium is around .25 to .30 cents per litre. Which equals to 0.95+ cents per US gallon.

If I was on a tight budget I would use Regular 87 only. I've used 87 several times and didn't feel much difference. However, I did notice fuel economy was not as good.

In the cars Manual it says it's OK to use 87 octane but not lower than 87... but performance and fuel economy "Might" not be as good.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
More like..50 cents between the grades today.

If you are not co convened a bbn out fuel economy but want 92 octane, mix 30% E85 with to 70% 87 octane. You'll love the smell of corn!

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Fuel octane ratings in Europe are different than North American.
They use RON ( Research Octane Rating ) to rate their octane while we in North America use AKI ( Anti Knock Index ) ( RON + MON) / 2 = AKI.
MON ( Motor Octane Number )
European RON 93 octane is the same as 88.5 AKI in North America.
95 RON = 90.5 AKI.
98 RON = 93 AKI.

Ditto ditto DITTO.
Listen to Zeroboostbuick. He knows what he’s talking about.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I just topped off tank at Costco, got premium since only 20 cents per gal. more for 91 compared to 87.
Appears just knowing that I put it in Ethyl..I mean put in Ethyl, that it makes me think the Safari runs better.

50Joe

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Premium is a total waste in the TourX. 1200 miles so far in my TourX using top tier 87 octane. My trip and back to Charlotte yesterday in a constant rain and still got 32 mpg. Not that anyone cares but I do have a mechanical engineering degree and worked many years in Tier 1 automotive supply to BMW, Mercedes, and Chrysler. We manufactured fuel management systems and fuel tank roll over valves.

Using a top tier fuel is way more important than using a higher grade fuel. Some of the cheap non top tier fuels can really leave nasty shit not just in the fuel tank but in the intake system as well.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!