• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Who's using Hi-Test or Premium Fuel 93 Octane TourX and Regal 2018 2019

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Premium is a total waste in the TourX. 1200 miles so far in my TourX using top tier 87 octane. My trip and back to Charlotte yesterday in a constant rain and still got 32 mpg. Not that anyone cares but I do have a mechanical engineering degree and worked many years in Tier 1 automotive supply to BMW, Mercedes, and Chrysler. We manufactured fuel management systems and fuel tank roll over valves.

Using a top tier fuel is way more important than using a higher grade fuel. Some of the cheap non top tier fuels can really leave nasty shit not just in the fuel tank but in the intake system as well.
I think your right about top tier gas being more important, really glad Costco is top tier gas.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Probably should price extended GM warrenty, so they will rent me a car when car is waiting for parts.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
More like..50 cents between the grades today.

If you are not co convened a bbn out fuel economy but want 92 octane, mix 30% E85 with to 70% 87 octane. You'll love the smell of corn!
$0.70 around here. Since new I’ve run 88 octane E15 almost exclusively. In 4 months and 13,304 miles I’ve bought 436 gallons according to my records. That’s $305 saved vs buying premium back in my pocket. There is a slight bit of knock retard in the timing but it’s minor. Keeping the revs over 2k makes that go away and I also don’t worry about LSPI.

I tested the ethanol content of the E15 months ago and it came back at less than 10% fwiw.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
[QUOTE="Hunter Mike, post: 329722,

I tested the ethanol content of the E15 months ago and it came back at less than 10% fwiw.
[/QUOTE]

A few years ago, I bought an alcohol tester at a boat marina. Tested the content at various brands of E10 fuel. Always tested between 2% and 7%.

Just enough to keep the fuel system clean.

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
A few years ago, I bought an alcohol tester at a boat marina. Tested the content at various brands of E10 fuel. Always tested between 2% and 7%.

Just enough to keep the fuel system clean.

It is likely enough to meet the minimum requirement by law that must be contained to keep the legislature happy. It has become very expensive to creat ethanol due to the subsidies ending and corn pricing escalating over the past decade.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
As a test I ran 93E10 for 5 tanks since the beginning of the year. I noticed no difference in performance and measured no difference in fuel economy. The fuel was from Costco as it is $0.40/gal less than premium anywhere around.

I'm going back to 88E15 as it saves me about a penny per mile. I drive 36k/yr so that’s a couple free tanks of gas with no downsides.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
I was running midgrade, but bumped up to premium the past couple times. I think for me it did bump up my MPG average by a couple miles each day, so I will stick with the recommendation.

GermyShoe

Richardson, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
As a test I ran 93E10 for 5 tanks since the beginning of the year. I noticed no difference in performance and measured no difference in fuel economy. The fuel was from Costco as it is $0.40/gal less than premium anywhere around.

I'm going back to 88E15 as it saves me about a penny per mile. I drive 36k/yr so that’s a couple free tanks of gas with no downsides.
Mike, I wonder if you'd have the same results in the summer. Might be cold enough that the 88 didn't trip the lower timing. Just a thought.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Mike, I wonder if you'd have the same results in the summer. Might be cold enough that the 88 didn't trip the lower timing. Just a thought.
I think my driving style really affects mileage and engine timing...I’m 90% or more highway miles with the engine loafing under 2k RPM most of its life.

i will see if the summer heat has an effect...if fuel stays cheap.

GermyShoe

Richardson, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I think my driving style really affects mileage and engine timing...I’m 90% or more highway miles with the engine loafing under 2k RPM most of its life.

i will see if the summer heat has an effect...if fuel stays cheap.
even if you switch in the Summer... you'd still get an extra tank out of it if you kept at 88 during the winter.

dlbritton

NC
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Preferred
Triple Carburetors? What is a carburetor? 😳 What are Points and condenser? 😱 What is a Dwell Meter?

BTW, my TR3A had twin SU Carbs. They were Concentric or Constant Velocity. Never had problems keeping two in sync but friends with Triple Catb Austin Healys always had problems.

Just finding this thread, I am considering buying a "New" 2019 TourX and was searching on the premium gas requirement.

In college in the 80s I had a 67 MGB with twin SU carbs. I had a carb sync tool (worked off carb vacuum) that worked great. My boss at the time had a TR3. He was complaining about syncing carbs but had never seen a sync tool and was forever grateful when we tuned and synced his carbs with my sync tool.

Vicfirth

Memphis, TN
Buick Ownership
'19 Buick Regal Tourx, '12 Challenger, '07 Magnum, '03 Toyota Matrix, '02 VStrom1000
Just finding this thread, I am considering buying a "New" 2019 TourX and was searching on the premium gas requirement.

In college in the 80s I had a 67 MGB with twin SU carbs. I had a carb sync tool (worked off carb vacuum) that worked great. My boss at the time had a TR3. He was complaining about syncing carbs but had never seen a sync tool and was forever grateful when we tuned and synced his carbs with my sync tool.
Premium is not required, only recommended. I would bet the majority of TourX owners run regular just fine. Either way, you can justify your decision so enjoy!

powermax

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback 2019
This is my first year with my 2019 FWD Sportback. I was wondering if any of you guys switch from premium to regular during the winter months and if yes if there was any noticeable difference.
Thanks

Opietheopel

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal TourX
I just run premium because I ran that in all of my saabs for the past ten years so it doesn’t matter to me. I prefer the extra protection When I do romp on it.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!