• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Who's using Hi-Test or Premium Fuel 93 Octane TourX and Regal 2018 2019

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
The highest octane I can get at time of fill up. Here in the Mountain West that is usually 91 octane.

I paid for 259 hp/295 lb ft - I'm going to get that every time I push the go pedal.

Vicfirth

Memphis, TN
Buick Ownership
'19 Buick Regal Tourx, '12 Challenger, '07 Magnum, '03 Toyota Matrix, '02 VStrom1000
The highest octane I can get at time of fill up. Here in the Mountain West that is usually 91 octane.

I paid for 259 hp/295 lb ft - I'm going to get that every time I push the go pedal.
So you wind yours up to 5400rpm (where that HP is at 250) every time you go? Hey, it's a free country (for now) so go right ahead :). I do enjoy that lowish end torque a bunch though :)!!!

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
So you wind yours up to 5400rpm (where that HP is at 250) every time you go? Hey, it's a free country (for now) so go right ahead :). I do enjoy that lowish end torque a bunch though :)!!!
I do know roughly the speed at which I'll loose grip on 3 local cloverleaf style on and off ramps. Doing any of them from nearly a dead stop you haven't got much distance to hit that speed. :driving: :ROFLMAO::vroom:

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I do know roughly the speed at which I'll loose grip on 3 local cloverleaf style on and off ramps. Doing any of them from nearly a dead stop you haven't got much distance to hit that speed. :driving: :ROFLMAO::vroom:
At least, you cheated 9 more horsepower from your LTG. :ROFLMAO:

CNYmetalGuy

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Preferred II
In my 18 Regal Sport Pre 2 I definitely can see and feel a difference when I dont run 91/93 octane gas. The loss of power is noticeable and regular gas seems to burn faster

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
I've been running E15, or "U88", almost exclusively since I purchased my TourX. Manual says it's ok, and I haven't noticed any knock.
IMO, you will not perceive any knock because the car is too quiet and NVH is isolated. Are you doing any data logging? If you do, you will find it. If you can get it, run 93 and don’t look back.

Even with 93, my car “lugs” under 1800 RPMs. I am considering a tune just for that reason.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
IMO, you will not perceive any knock because the car is too quiet and NVH is isolated. Are you doing any data logging? If you do, you will find it. If you can get it, run 93 and don’t look back.

Even with 93, my car “lugs” under 1800 RPMs. I am considering a tune just for that reason.
Ummmm... anything under 1800 RPMs is considered lugging. Unless you're driving a Detroit 8v71, which this engine is not.

Get the revs up. Why are you mashing the pedal at 1800 RPM or below? No fuel or tune is going to change the physics of how engines work. I use a lot of manual mode in clover leafs and on ramps to avoid "lugging" and keep the revs over 2k.

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
Ummmm... anything under 1800 RPMs is considered lugging. Unless you're driving a Detroit 8v71, which this engine is not.

Get the revs up. Why are you mashing the pedal at 1800 RPM or below? No fuel or tune is going to change the physics of how engines work. I use a lot of manual mode in clover leafs and on ramps to avoid "lugging" and keep the revs over 2k.
The engine and tranny programmed to run in these RPMs to gain max fuel economy.

Fuel protects the valves, cylinder walls and pistons when you do pull a slight hill and repeat 100 times on a daily commute. It is asinine to stay revved at 3K RPMs or even 2K for 32 miles one way everyday just to protect the engine from the stock program.

If and when I go to a tune, it will be very different.

My recommendation: Put 93/91 in the car and enjoy it. Stop babysitting the tachometer... life is to short.

Last edited:

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
If you have a scan tool just watch "knock retard". It shows degrees of timing from base, on feedback from the knock sensor. Watching mine it only pulls timing under ~2,500rpm or so.

Even using premium gas it will pull timing, just a few degrees less. If you lug the engine(or stay in D), buy premium. If you rev it and shift manually, stick with regular.

As I approach 40k miles I've saved a lot of money sticking with E15/88.

dlbritton

NC
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Preferred
LMAO Lucas Prince of Darkness electronics. But we also had a different way of getting octane back then by turning the knob to "11" which was needed for high compression engines and tweaking the timing as much as you could.

View attachment 12683 View attachment 12684
There are several Sunoco stations on the way to my mountain condo that sell Sunoco LEADED racing gas. 100+ octane, can't recall exact number but the lead would cook your cat converter in a hurry. There must be a short track nearby but I don' t know where. VIR (Virginia Intl Raceway) about 50 miles away but that seems too far and remote.

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
If you have a scan tool just watch "knock retard". It shows degrees of timing from base, on feedback from the knock sensor. Watching mine it only pulls timing under ~2,500rpm or so.

Even using premium gas it will pull timing, just a few degrees less. If you lug the engine(or stay in D), buy premium. If you rev it and shift manually, stick with regular.

As I approach 40k miles I've saved a lot of money sticking with E15/88.
With an average MPG of 30 and a spread of $0.50 per gallon between 87 and 93 in my area, you would save about $650 dollars in the 40K miles. However, you are leaving horsepower/torque and wear & tear on the table... but I get it. It all depends on driving styles and commute variables. Have a good one!

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
With an average MPG of 30 and a spread of $0.50 per gallon between 87 and 93 in my area, you would save about $650 dollars in the 40K miles. However, you are leaving horsepower/torque and wear & tear on the table.
It’s a $0.70 here. More money for fun stuff. My car getting through the quarter mile 0.1 second faster is not my idea of fun!

How does octane contribute to wear & tear? Early LTG engines were know to destroy pistons & rings but that’s sorted now. I think someone going the full 7.5k miles on an oil change causes more wear than a slight timing retard.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I think a lot of "seeing a difference" comes from how you drive. My 2.0T Escape is a direct-injection turbo much like the EcoTec and it responds the same to fuel changes. I'm pretty sure I could run 87 and see no difference if I puttered back-n-forth to work for 5-10 miles like my wife does. I drive 40min highway commute and when I hit the on ramp I expect that sucker to roll. I've tried both 87 and 93 and 87 defintely reduces power and mpg drops about 2 on avg/mpg dash reading. Premium fuel delivers the most mileage and performance. Yes, you probably safely run the 87 but with all the things I've read about direct-injection engines having problems with carbon build up and using 87 causes reduced timing and longer fuel shot to prevent detonation, I'll stick with the premium. When the time comes to park a TourX in my driveway, I fully intend to add a Trifecta tune in which case the premium will be a no-brainer.

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
The piston issues were sorted out through addressing LSPI with improvements to oil quality and a few other tweaks in the engine... but there are still opportunities for pre-detonation every time you roll into the throttle with 87. Check out this ZZP video on the LTG for the Camero. ZZP reviews and dissects tuning data every day and they understand the challenges short and long term. Note Mod “0” at the beginning of the video...

It’s a $0.70 here. More money for fun stuff. My car getting through the quarter mile 0.1 second faster is not my idea of fun!

How does octane contribute to wear & tear? Early LTG engines were know to destroy pistons & rings but that’s sorted now. I think someone going the full 7.5k miles on an oil change causes more wear than a slight timing retard.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!