• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Why do i see different badges on buick grand nationals?

saeo1986

Buick Newbie
I am researching buick grand nationals to purchase one, specifically 1987 buick grand national with the WE4 package or the Turbo T. I am noticing different badging on the cars i find. Some have a "Grand National" on the front side fenders and some have a red "T" on the sides. Some have that same "Grand National" on the trunk lid and some have "3.8 Litre SFI Turbo". I am trying to make sure i get an authentic 1987 Buick Grand National with the WE4 Turbo T obtion. Do these badges represent different trim levels or is there something im missing or do people just change the badges. And if people change them, what did the badges look like when the car came out of the factory. Thanks

Grand National 5-0

Buick Ownership
Buick
Oh wow...this is gonna take some explaining.

ALL Grand Nationals had a WE-2 designation. The WE-4 was a special "T-type" or Turbo T. It came in only black like the Grand National, however the WE-4 had chrome bumpers instead of the GN's black ones.

All Grand Nationals had 3 "Grand National" emblems. 1 on each fender and one on the truck lid. they also all had 3 3.8 SFI Turbo emblems. 1 on each side of the turbo hood and one opposite the gn emblem on the trunk lid. Alot of people like to remove the 3.8 SFI Turbo emblems for a slightly cleaner look. The Intercooled emblem on the 86 and 87's was only beneath the fender emblems not the trunk emblem.

the Grand National was a special edition t-type, not the other way around. It was made to commemorate the Grand National racing series in Nascar.

The T-type or Turbo T was a regular regal with the same motor as the Grand National. If it is a T-type it will have a T-type emblem on the fenders. If it is a Turbo T with will have a rounded square with a little red T. 84-86 were t-types, 87's were turbo t's. there was no difference in performance other than between the 84, 85 years and the 86, 87 years.

The WE-4 was like i said, a black car, like the grand national, except with chrome bumpers. they wont have any emblems on them at all. They had a very clean look. No difference in performance between any of the cars untill you start getting into the GNX.

The GNX had the same motor and same turbo although the turbo was slightly modified. More boost, different tune, and a very complicated suspension setup that worked amazingly. ASC Mclaren Modified regular Grand Nationals to make them into GNX's. The GNX had 1 "GNX" emblem on the grill and one on the trunk lid. It had fender flares, and functional fender vents. They were about 6-8 tenths faster in the Quarter mile and was the fastest production car untill 1990 when the ZR1 came out. The GNX also had a kick ass guage cluster over the regular grand national and ttypes. it was the grand national to end all grand nationals.

If there are anymore questions just let me know

G-75222

Oh wow...this is gonna take some explaining.

ALL Grand Nationals had a WE-2 designation. The WE-4 was a special "T-type" or Turbo T. It came in only black like the Grand National, however the WE-4 had chrome bumpers instead of the GN's black ones.

All Grand Nationals had 3 "Grand National" emblems. 1 on each fender and one on the truck lid. they also all had 3 3.8 SFI Turbo emblems. 1 on each side of the turbo hood and one opposite the gn emblem on the trunk lid. Alot of people like to remove the 3.8 SFI Turbo emblems for a slightly cleaner look. The Intercooled emblem on the 86 and 87's was only beneath the fender emblems not the trunk emblem.

the Grand National was a special edition t-type, not the other way around. It was made to commemorate the Grand National racing series in Nascar.

The T-type or Turbo T was a regular regal with the same motor as the Grand National. If it is a T-type it will have a T-type emblem on the fenders. If it is a Turbo T with will have a rounded square with a little red T. 84-86 were t-types, 87's were turbo t's. there was no difference in performance other than between the 84, 85 years and the 86, 87 years.

The WE-4 was like i said, a black car, like the grand national, except with chrome bumpers. they wont have any emblems on them at all. They had a very clean look. No difference in performance between any of the cars untill you start getting into the GNX.

The GNX had the same motor and same turbo although the turbo was slightly modified. More boost, different tune, and a very complicated suspension setup that worked amazingly. ASC Mclaren Modified regular Grand Nationals to make them into GNX's. The GNX had 1 "GNX" emblem on the grill and one on the trunk lid. It had fender flares, and functional fender vents. They were about 6-8 tenths faster in the Quarter mile and was the fastest production car untill 1990 when the ZR1 came out. The GNX also had a kick ass guage cluster over the regular grand national and ttypes. it was the grand national to end all grand nationals.

If there are anymore questions just let me know
I purchased my Grand national brand new in 87. And witnessed it being taken off the car carrier at the dealership. My question is why does it have a hood ornament? I have not seen another one with a hood ornament ever. Thanks Bill

G-379860

The 87 Grand National did not come with a 3.8L SFI Turbo emblem on the deck lid. Only one on each side of the hood bulge. Bought mine off the trailer in 87.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Bubbahide

Buick Ownership
1987 Buick Regal WE4 Turbo-T with W02 "Chrome Bumpers"
I am researching buick grand nationals to purchase one, specifically 1987 buick grand national with the WE4 package or the Turbo T. I am noticing different badging on the cars i find. Some have a "Grand National" on the front side fenders and some have a red "T" on the sides. Some have that same "Grand National" on the trunk lid and some have "3.8 Litre SFI Turbo". I am trying to make sure i get an authentic 1987 Buick Grand National with the WE4 Turbo T obtion. Do these badges represent different trim levels or is there something im missing or do people just change the badges. And if people change them, what did the badges look like when the car came out of the factory. Thanks
You need to look on the inside of the trunk, it will have WE4 code. on the White Sticker on the led