• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Why do we Americans let the Europeans get the good cars?

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
We are on vacation in Portugal and Spain and the car scene over here has really changed since my last visit just a few years ago.
Station wagon are everywhere and really good looking ones similar in size to the TourX. The sedans and coupes are beautiful as well. My rental is a 520d and it is a beautiful driving car with excellent fuel efficiency.
It is so irritating that in the USA the choice seems to be gasoline powered trucks or anemic sedans.

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
We are on vacation in Portugal and Spain and the car scene over here has really changed since my last visit just a few years ago.
Station wagon are everywhere and really good looking ones similar in size to the TourX. The sedans and coupes are beautiful as well. My rental is a 520d and it is a beautiful driving car with excellent fuel efficiency.
It is so irritating that in the USA the choice seems to be gasoline powered trucks or anemic sedans.
Cheap gasoline prices here in the states allows people to run 5.0, 6.0 liters engines. Wide roads and a lot of space allows them to drive huge vehicles. Unfortunately, market in the US is completely shifting to SUV and crossovers, also SUV market is picking up in Europe.
If here in US we would've have European gasoline prices, I'm pretty sure it would've help to push SWs more.
Fun fact: my Spanish colleague were visiting our US facility and saw Ford F450 King Ranch pick up truck that our facility maintenance guy used to drive. He looked at me and asked, if this car could be driven on the regular streets))).
P.S. I went to Portugal for vaca this summer, and my rental was Fiat 500XL with the disel engine. Good gas mileage, but some of the streets in Portugal were too narrow for that car, sometimes I ended up folding my side mirrors to get by the street. DJI_0400.JPG

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Cheap gasoline prices here in the states allows people to run 5.0, 6.0 liters engines. Wide roads and a lot of space allows them to drive huge vehicles. Unfortunately, market in the US is completely shifting to SUV and crossovers, also SUV market is picking up in Europe.
If here in US we would've have European gasoline prices, I'm pretty sure it would've help to push SWs more.
Fun fact: my Spanish colleague were visiting our US facility and saw Ford F450 King Ranch pick up truck that our facility maintenance guy used to drive. He looked at me and asked, if this car could be driven on the regular streets))).
P.S. I went to Portugal for vaca this summer, and my rental was Fiat 500XL with the disel engine. Good gas mileage, but some of the streets in Portugal were too narrow for that car, sometimes I ended up folding my side mirrors to get by the street. View attachment 19042
Nice picture, do you know why the spots of different looking color of water?

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Nice picture, do you know why the spots of different looking color of water?
Thanks mate. Bright spots is sand, dark spots are rocks, sea weeds etc.

RTPH

Except that wagons in the US get terrible mileage. The TourX mileage is about equal to most 3 row crossovers and much worse than equivalently sized two row crossovers.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Except that wagons in the US get terrible mileage. The TourX mileage is about equal to most 3 row crossovers and much worse than equivalently sized two row crossovers.
When you say give up something, I assume you mean boring, slow, ashamed to be seen in crossovers?

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
That's the price we pay for having some power under the hood.
I had a rental Hyundai Tycon last week, about the same gas mileage- much less space, no power, trany is constantly downshifting...not for me...
Also, we don't have all the engine selection and have stricter emission regulations.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Well... to each their own. But as a muscle-car lover, there's a huge lack of cheap v8 power in Europe :)

So I wouldn't go and say they get the best cars. I do have the crossover craze in the US though. They are just so miserable to work on.

landsharkmz3

I wish it was better, but compare it to crossovers and its not bad... and we have more room than pretty much all of them.

Buick Regal TourX (AWD, 250hp) 21/29mpg

Mazda CX5 (AWD, 250hp) 22/27mpg
Subaru Outback (AWD, 256hp) 20/27mpg
Cadillac XT5 (AWD, 310hp) 18/25mpg
Acura RDX (AWD, 272hp) 21/27

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
I wish it was better, but compare it to crossovers and its not bad... and we have more room than pretty much all of them.

Buick Regal TourX (AWD, 250hp) 21/29mpg

Mazda CX5 (AWD, 250hp) 22/27mpg
Subaru Outback (AWD, 256hp) 20/27mpg
Cadillac XT5 (AWD, 310hp) 18/25mpg
Acura RDX (AWD, 272hp) 21/27
I am beating EPA estimates on highway mpg on regular gas. I know others are as well-- we've had some reports of consistent 31-32mpg highway. The best I've seen from a 3 row is around 27mpg hwy.

landsharkmz3

I agree with many beating the estimates (me included), but at least its a standard set of test conditions all use for comparison.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Show me a 3-row that consistently gets the high-20s/low 30s I get from my TourX.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
I'd argue that it's primarily 2 reason: EPA classifications, and public acceptance.

US EPA still divides passenger vehicles into just two main categories: Cars and Light Trucks, with different fuel economy standards for each - not just CAFE standards, but the gas guzzler tax does not apply to light trucks, only cars. The underlying presumption is that "light trucks" would be used more for work purposes and therefore be exempted from such restrictions - farms, small businesses, etc... even though that notion is about 50 years out of date. While it's my opinion, I still blame this distinction for the rise of SUVs and the death of wagons - a classic RWD V8 wagon with a 5k+ towing capacity and a 3rd row would be hit with a gas guzzler tax, but the same combo in an SUV would not. In addition to more expensive fuel, most laws in Europe tax engine size and fuel economy in a more logical way, so hatchbacks/wagons are far more popular.

The public acceptance is the other issue. I still don't understand WHY Americans buy so many sedans, but I'm largely convinced that people buy them because they grew up seeing them, so it's just normalized. I personally feel like sedans are the worst form factor - if you want style or driver-centric design, a coupe is the way to go - but if you want practicality, every sedan should just have a backpack on it and be a wagon, as there's practically no downside other than style opinions. There's also the generational trend of not wanting what your parents had, but my folks had wagons all through my childhood, and I love 'em, so it doesn't always make sense. Despite being a kid of the '80s and'90s, we never had a minivan... but I have one of those now, too. (And yes, I like it.)

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Well it was GM, so yep it's the same people who make the Regal and TourX, Opel.

The EU market has a wider selection of vehicles along with more manufacturer's, but just like all the other automobile manufacturer's doesn't always mean a better vehicle. The US has SUV's, the AU has UTE's and the EU has wagons AKA estate's.

Pedal Commander