• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Why is My TourX slow?

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence | 2021 Envision Avenir
8.4 second 0-60 with non ethanol 91 premium on every tank, going down an on ramp, in 40 degree weather.

30000 miles of being a good reliable car. Owned since new. No engine codes, always serviced, and good highway mileage.

Just doesn't feel like 250 hp / 295 tq. After 40 mph it feels like it hits a wall and even though it's floored, there's just nothing there.

Good car, just no power.

Any ideas?

Screenshot_20211225-142742.png

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
Seems very odd. While 0-60 in the 6 second range is doable, it takes a certian technique to achive. But just flooring it from a stop should still net you probably 7.0-7.4 sec 0-60. What's most telling is that 40-60 is over 4 seconds. Seems like it is reeling back boost, timing, or throttle. If memory serves me that should be maybe 2.0-2.5 sec for our cars.

Have a way to record OBD2 data during a run?

jdoodle

Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
Isn't 93 recommended? The systems could be retarding timing a bit.

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
Did another test, this time accelerating but only pressing the pedal up to the detent, and not past it. I've always felt that partial throttle acceleration felt stronger.

With an extra person in the car, at partial throttle, and on a flat surface, I got a better time at 8 seconds flat.

I read a comment about octane and 93 shows no difference to 91 from my past tests. I don't think that is the issue.

Is the pedal hardware perhaps not sending the right signal? I have a scan tool with the capability of recording data - what data should I be looking for? Or perhaps try a pedal replacement?

Screenshot_20211225-185011~2.png

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Am I mixed up or was there not an extended warranty on the accelerator pedal? I thought it caused limp mode but maybe this is another failure mode? Just wondering since you are getting such different results with no physical changes other than pedal input. Also the would expect that if something were wrong (boost leak, timing etc) you would have a CEL by now. But if the ECU is getting a bad input from the pedal it may have no way of knowing.

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
Am I mixed up or was there not an extended warranty on the accelerator pedal? I thought it caused limp mode but maybe this is another failure mode? Just wondering since you are getting such different results with no physical changes other than pedal input. Also the would expect that if something were wrong (boost leak, timing etc) you would have a CEL by now. But if the ECU is getting a bad input from the pedal it may have no way of knowing.
Do you know what the GM part number is for the new pedal? I might order it and install it myself. Since there's no codes or anything, it won't be covered under warranty. I've already had the car in for service in the past and it performs within GM's tolerance levels.

Notveryfast

Buick Ownership
1987 Regal GN, 2019 Regal TourX
Isn't 93 recommended? The systems could be retarding timing a bit.
93/91 shouldn't make a difference like that. Not 2 whole seconds, at least. Half of the states don't even offer 93. I live in CA, where all we have is 91 at the pump. I'm not running an 8 second 0-60.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Do you know what the GM part number is for the new pedal? I might order it and install it myself. Since there's no codes or anything, it won't be covered under warranty. I've already had the car in for service in the past and it performs within GM's tolerance levels.
Can you ask the dealer to read the signal from the pedal?
I mean, if it is acting like how you described, the pedal may not be sending out the correct signals.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Check out this thread: Warranty ?

According to the thread if it applies you should see it listed for n the Buick app.

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
Can you ask the dealer to read the signal from the pedal?
I mean, if it is acting like how you described, the pedal may not be sending out the correct signals.
I've had it in before and everything is within GM's parameters, there is no warranty for for them to perform without an engine code or obvious problem. GM doesn't consider an 8 second 0-60 a problem.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I've had it in before and everything is within GM's parameters, there is no warranty for for them to perform without an engine code or obvious problem. GM doesn't consider an 8 second 0-60 a problem.
Tell them a 250 HP & 295 lb-ft does not need 8 seconds for 0-60 and threat them with lemon law?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Maybe your ASS is slow...
My ASS slowed me down until I made iit think the hood was open.

Last edited:

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
Tell them a 250 HP & 295 lb-ft does not need 8 seconds for 0-60 and threat them with lemon law?
I have a defeat device plugged in to the hood sensor. I have automatic stop start disabled and it's one of the best mods I've ever purchased.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have a defeat device plugged in to the hood sensor. I have automatic stop start disabled and it's one of the best mods I've ever purchased.
I assume your not power braking it while WOT for just long enough... so it doesn't dump the boost on the Typhoon..
I have learned the lazy tranny on TourX requires you to WOT early, to make it know your serious.

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
I assume your not power braking it while WOT for just long enough... so it doesn't dump the boost on the Typhoon.. I have learned the lazy tranny on TourX reguires you to WOT early, to make it know your serious.
I am launching the car in the best possible manner to get it to go. There is a clear drop in power after 40 mph that can be felt. But no codes or anything else. Nothing to point to a problem.

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
I'm going to order the 84478060 pedal shown below. Only $38. Other than replacing the pedal, does anything else need to be done? PCM reprogramming or is it just plug and play?

Screenshot_20211228-071123.png

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by corn fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Too bad we don’t have a boost meter on the turbo. I’m wondering if your turbo might be fried. Back in the 90s I was test driving several Turbo Thunderbird SCs (before buying a Toyota Supra) and the acceleration varied a lot depending on how good or bad of shape the turbo was. With any Turbo, if you drive it hard, it’s best to let the turbo cool a bit with the engine idle or driving city traffic before shutting the car off. Otherwise you run the risk of melting the turbo.

So have you ever driven the car hard and shut it off immediately? Do you habitually drive like Jeff Gordon? For me, my TourX has plenty of oomph (tested when we were test driving the car) but I typically drive it like a grandpa so I have less worry about frying my turbo.

PS, I’m guessing replacing your pedal will be a wild goose chase, but who knows, maybe you’re right.

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
Too bad we don’t have a boost meter on the turbo. I’m wondering if your turbo might be fried. Back in the 90s I was test driving several Turbo Thunderbird SCs (before buying a Toyota Supra) and the acceleration varied a lot depending on how good or bad of shape the turbo was. With any Turbo, if you drive it hard, it’s best to let the turbo cool a bit with the engine idle or driving city traffic before shutting the car off. Otherwise you run the risk of melting the turbo.

So have you ever driven the car hard and shut it off immediately? Do you habitually drive like Jeff Gordon? For me, my TourX has plenty of oomph (tested when we were test driving the car) but I typically drive it like a grandpa so I have less worry about frying my turbo.
The car has always acted in this manner and I bought it brand new. It's not every day I go test the 0-60. The power is definitely not consistent. It's a daily driver, if I need to go fast I'll drive a different car. But I'd still like it to be somewhere in the 6's for 0-60

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by corn fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
The car has always acted in this manner and I bought it brand new. It's not every day I go test the 0-60. The power is definitely not consistent. It's a daily driver, if I need to go fast I'll drive a different car. But I'd still like it to be somewhere in the 6's for 0-60
Have you tried manual mode so you can keep your RPMs up and pick your shift points? This high end speed lag certainly could be your turbo not kicking in like it should. Then again it could also be that the car is a 4 banger, and can’t compare to another fast car with a v6 or V8