• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Window tint % question - suggestions

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Looking to tint the back doors, back windows and rear glass and the windshield strip.

Planning on going with Tint World and their Supreme film which has lifetime warranty.

I don't know what % to go with. My previous two cars (station wagons) had factory tint and I don't want to go too dark.
I know too dark is a subjective term. Are various manufacturers having different % from the factory?

Thanks.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited 148k miles
The combinations are endless. Check your local laws. Where do you live?

I would go with 20% but that's illegal for the sides here in NY. 35% is what I'm going with on my sides but even THAT'S illegal here.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Look at the samples at the shop, best way to know what percentage will work for you. The shop if decent should also be able to have recommendations and if there are any issues on day vs night with the percentage of choices : 70% - 45% - 35% - 25% - 18%.

Lifetime warranty? Not sure if that's as important as materials used and the shop doing the work.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
If a shop has a lifetime warranty that is a pretty good testament to their level of work. In Brooklyn NY there are plenty of shops that will tint your car so competition drives the market. A shop would prefer word-of-mouth recommendations from satisfied customers so they don't get "comebacks" and increase their customer base. Lifetime warranty is pretty important.
A reputable shop will use quality film as opposed to the crap that you can buy at Pep Boys or Auto Zone.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet

Supreme and Ultimate have lifetime warranty.

does it make sense to pay more for ultimate?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
LOL I had a Lifetime free replacement on a Trax alternator, yep that worked out well. Anybody have a NTB lifetime warranty!

It's a word used in marketing and no way says anything about the quality of product or workmanship also there isn't any posted on what the warranty actually contains.

Having had window tints since 1979 in the Illinois area and have seen shops come and go. So quality products being used, the installation process, shops background and a lifetime warranty isn't necessary. Zero tint failures of anything in 42 years, so I'm either that lucky or that good on the service I picked.

Whats confusing on Illinois tint laws

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I always had gone with something similar to the supreme and had good luck, but with the TourX I went with ceramic which would be similar to ultimate. I did ceramic since it rejects heat better and I figured with all the glass it would help. It is hard to say how much real world difference there is but I would say it seems to be a little cooler for short durations. Leave it in the sun all day and I think theY would be pretty close. So it really depends on what you want/need it for and how you use your car.

agaric

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
3M films applied by a licensed dealer have a lifetime warranty, even come with a card to transfer to a new owner.
Any reputable shop will know the laws in your state regarding max tint allowed.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
Lumar is also a quality brand. Solux as well. I bought 100 foot rolls on Amazon almost 20 years ago for 50 bucks each roll. I used to tint neighbors and friends cars back in the early eighties.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
I went with 40% all around. The roof line is so low and long that it looks alot darker than it is.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Overall Film Rating
This was what I had installed on all windows, including windshield. @ 32%. Notice the UV rejection rate (99%). That will protect the dash & interior from damage by UV. Interior heat may be comparable to other films on a hot sunny day, but once the car cools down you will feel no heat from the windows or any UV burning sensation to the hands on the steering wheel.

novoseb

Cincinnati, OH
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I have 20% on all sides and rear, along with a strip along the top of windshield. I don't love the windshield strip, but feel something is needed because of the sunscreen shape. If doing again, I would look into whether a gradient effect is available. It's honestly a little too dark on the front sides but I'm used to it now. Looks great but 35% on the front of my old car was probably safer.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Illinois tint laws tint darkness for sedans:

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light
Side Mirrors: Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Tint Variance: 5% variance.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership

Supreme and Ultimate have lifetime warranty.
Looking to tint the back doors, back windows and rear glass and the windshield strip.
If your vehicle is considered an SUV you can go as dark as you want aft of the driver.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners