• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Window tint % question - suggestions

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
The vehicle is registered as Utility.

Still very unsure how to read the law. I'm not able to find the statue at the The Official Website for the Illinois Secretary of State page.

I know I'm leaning towards lighter color, but now I'm thinking about having the front doors tinted too (for the UV) factor, so those may even be lighter than the rear...

Then again, having uniform tint on front and rear side may look cleaner. but don't want issues with visibility.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
I went with factory Avery-Dennison tint (also lifetime warranty) for the two rear quarter windows and large rear window. If I were doing it again I might go a shade darker but I am happy overall. Helps keep the car slightly cooler in summer also.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
On my last cars I had 35% which might be a better bet for you. With the 20% I don't have any issues with seeing out but that will depend on the individuals night vision. I would have gone with 35 again but the shop I used jumped from 50% to 20% and the former was to light. I do have more privacy with 20 but I don't leave stuff in the car often so not a big factor for me. I too like the uniform look and tinted my fronts even though it is illegal in my state. Unless your state includes tint checks at inspection you may not have a problem. NJ used to but you could go to an independent inspector and pay to pass. I also found the front tint saved me money, often when I got pulled over for speeding I would end up with a fix it ticket (no points) since my record was clean. May not always work but wanted to point out even in a state where it is illegal we have never been pulled over for it, but I have gotten out of jams because I have it.

Oh one other thing...look at medical exemptions. I originally looked into tint because I started getting migraines in the winter driving to and from work with the headlights behind me was killing me. I was told NJ didn't have an exemption for that but other states did, so who knows what you might get a doc to sign off on.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Read the posts, the Illinois law is been posted twice along with a link! You don't need to worry about it go to the shop and see the tints levels that are legal for Illinois and look through them.

I wouldn't buy prescription glasses over a forum or a window tint!

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
The vehicle is registered as Utility.

Still very unsure how to read the law. I'm not able to find the statue at the The Official Website for the Illinois Secretary of State page.

I know I'm leaning towards lighter color, but now I'm thinking about having the front doors tinted too (for the UV) factor, so those may even be lighter than the rear...

Then again, having uniform tint on front and rear side may look cleaner. but don't want issues with visibility.
I used to have a Chevy HHR and the car came from factory with tinted windows behind the driver. I would think the tourx would fit in the same classification as the HHR.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
Keep in mind some cops will use illegal window tint as an excuse to pull people over (in the hopes of finding more serious offenses).

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The TourX is a well known vehicle of choice for major crime organizations so no windows should be tinted and I would recommend to take it one step farther and not wear sunglasses, happy motoring.

Yes there is a possibility that a vehicle can be pulled over for "tint" reason, some may be legitimate and others may be for another reason.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Keep in mind some cops will use illegal window tint as an excuse to pull people over (in the hopes of finding more serious offenses).
Between my wife and I we have driven close to 500k miles in cars with tint on the front windows and have never been pulled over for it... speeding yes...tint no. I know several LEOs and none ever pull someone over for it unless they are doing something else, something suspicious or are in a sketchy area.

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
20 Regal GS, 12 Regal GS (past)
In MI you cannot be pulled over for tint alone, I think. Its a secondary thing they can ticket you for.

Heres my white GS with 35% all around except the windshield. The angle of this pic nicely shows how much light gets through. tempImageshhxZI.jpg

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited 148k miles
Between my wife and I we have driven close to 500k miles in cars with tint on the front windows and have never been pulled over for it... speeding yes...tint no. I know several LEOs and none ever pull someone over for it unless they are doing something else, something suspicious or are in a sketchy area.
Here in NY they're not supposed to pull you over just for tint. o_O:ROFLMAO:
Human nature being what it is not all Police adhere to that rule....ask me how I know. ;)

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
If you are driving after 10pm and cops are doing drunk driving enforcement they will use it as a reason.

It probably varies quite a bit depending on your city or state. I know my home city would do it. I got pulled over for something else similarly innocuous to window tint. Why? It was past midnight and the cops were fishing for drunk drivers. In Minnesota, cops can pull cars over for window tint.

Last edited:

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
If you live in Minneapolis the Police probably have more pressing issues to deal with now.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Well that only leaves 47 other states where they don't, so stay home if you have tinted windows and don't live or are driving in Minneapolis, noted.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Well that only leaves 47 other states where they don't, so stay home if you have tinted windows and don't live or are driving in Minneapolis, noted.
I believe your vehicle only has to meet the state statutes that it is registered in.

skypilot_1

Buick Ownership
lookin at a Tourx
I'v seen cop cars with tint so dark you could not see in the side windows standing 8 ft away.
Who enforces tint spec's on them !! Lol

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800
I'v seen cop cars with tint so dark you could not see in the side windows standing 8 ft away.
Uh, the purpose of the law is so that police can see into your car and determine how many people are in it. Why should it matter what tint the cops themselves have?

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
I see cars running around with their side windows tinted very dark with the windshield tinted as well. Must be off duty Police. "Rules for thee but not for me" :cool:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Believe or know, big difference on any vehicle law based on state the vehicle is operating in at any given time.

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
In MI you cannot be pulled over for tint alone, I think. Its a secondary thing they can ticket you for.
If that's the law, it doesn't get followed. I know numerous people pulled ove for tint and given warnings or tickets. A buddy was waiting to pull out of a driveway and a state cop passing by spun back around. He ended up with a ticket for tint on an otherwise stock truck.

Car looks good. I have 20% on the front sides, and 15% on everything back from there. Depending on viewing angle and lighting it often looks absolutely black. Tint guy said cars usually appear darker because you look down into them, rather than thru one side and out the other like with taller trucks and suvs. My wifes minivan usually looks a lot lighter as you walk up to it, we have the same tint.

20210306_145945.jpg

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners