• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Windshield wipers question

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
If I can put them up I do. I've never heard of anyone doing anything to them. If they want to break them they can do it up or down.

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Buy yourself a fashionable shower curtain and close the ends in the doors for overnight protection. In the morning, open one door and pull the shower curtain around to the other side. Windshield clear, wipers not stuck.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Buy yourself a fashionable shower curtain and close the ends in the doors for overnight protection. In the morning, open one door and pull the shower curtain around to the other side. Windshield clear, wipers not stuck.

I've seen people do that. It works great until you get 10 inches of snow along with sub zero temperatures. Then you're pulling the shower curtain off in pieces.

G-794042

kheatherly,

I am glad to hear you love your Encore. No, it is not a design flaw. You can use the method that Jessica mentioned above or you can pop the hood (not all the way) and lift up the wipers. This design is more protection for your wiper blades. Hope this helps!

Erica Tiffany
Buick Customer Service
I have a 2019 and that does not work. I also tried holding the stalk down with car on and engine off as I read on other sites. Did not work. As for turning the car off while wipers are up on windshield is ridiculous. Why design a vehicle this way? It is hard to clean the ice from underneath and then I worry the ice will fly off. That is not OK.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
I have a 2019 and that does not work. I also tried holding the stalk down with car on and engine off as I read on other sites. Did not work. As for turning the car off while wipers are up on windshield is ridiculous. Why design a vehicle this way? It is hard to clean the ice from underneath and then I worry the ice will fly off. That is not OK.
I had to deal with this the other day and I understand the situation more clearly now. It is an inconvenience but not that big of a deal for me. I was more concerned with scratching the paint when I lifted them to clear some ice off the lower windshield. As mentioned the somewhat hidden wipers are to protect the wipers and give better aerodynamics. Exposed wipers create unneeded wind resistance so this helped a little with that. Yes, it could have been a better design but it is what it is for now. The new model coming out next year likely has addressed this issue as the body design is different.

G-988712

This is a huge issue for me in Michigan. I love my encore, but not being able to clear the ice out from under the wipers or un-plug the wiper fluid nozzles drives me crazy. Unsticking then isn’t a huge problem most of the time, but starting to drive while not realizing you can’t clean your windshield because the nozzles are plugged with ice is a safety hazard. I’m shorter, so it’s very difficult for me to clear ice from this area and the hidden wiper compartment is a total nightmare. The armrest thing is also annoying, but less of an issue compared to the wipers.

I really hope these issues are addressed in the next model...

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
This is a huge issue for me in Michigan. I love my encore, but not being able to clear the ice out from under the wipers or un-plug the wiper fluid nozzles drives me crazy. Unsticking then isn’t a huge problem most of the time, but starting to drive while not realizing you can’t clean your windshield because the nozzles are plugged with ice is a safety hazard. I’m shorter, so it’s very difficult for me to clear ice from this area and the hidden wiper compartment is a total nightmare. The armrest thing is also annoying, but less of an issue compared to the wipers.

I really hope these issues are addressed in the next model...

If you're short maybe an SUV isn't the right vehicle? Just saying. May get a different brush? They make a fair variety of different styles and there is probably one that you can work into the wiper area. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=window+scraper+brush&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I grew up in WI and there was a time when the only cars that had windshield washers were luxury cars. I remember when my dad got a '70 Buick Electra. Wow, what a car. And it had a windshield washer. That was special.

I don't think I had a windshield washer in a car until I bought my '79 Cutlass around 1985 or so. Before that it was run the defroster constantly, take a couple of handfuls of snow and throw them on the windshield to clean it off. If it got to bad to see pull over and do it again.

Cess

Buick Ownership
Encore
kheatherly,

I am glad to hear you love your Encore. No, it is not a design flaw. You can use the method that Jessica mentioned above or you can pop the hood (not all the way) and lift up the wipers. This design is more protection for your wiper blades. Hope this helps!

Erica Tiffany
Buick Customer Service
kheatherly,

Erica Tiffany
Buick Customer Service
I tried the hood method as well as turning the car off while keeping the engine off and holding down the wiper stalk to change modes (read it online) and neither work. So the only way I can do it is by stopping them midway, while they are moving, straight up and then clear snow? That makes no sense especially if you did not cover the windshield and the wipers are frozen on and it is very difficult to move and lift. I am sorry but I could care less on how they look tucked away. I want to clean under my wipers and that means lifting them up properly. I have a 2019 and see comments about this problem from 2012 and it was not corrected? Every time I look I see more issues with this vehicle. Not good.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
I tried the hood method as well as turning the car off while keeping the engine off and holding down the wiper stalk to change modes (read it online) and neither work. So the only way I can do it is by stopping them midway, while they are moving, straight up and then clear snow? That makes no sense especially if you did not cover the windshield and the wipers are frozen on and it is very difficult to move and lift. I am sorry but I could care less on how they look tucked away. I want to clean under my wipers and that means lifting them up properly. I have a 2019 and see comments about this problem from 2012 and it was not corrected? Every time I look I see more issues with this vehicle. Not good.
If you park outside as suggested, try covering your windshield when it snows.

Cess

Buick Ownership
Encore
If you park outside as suggested, try covering your windshield when it snows.
Yes I do when I have the time. Not so easy to do when at work and suddely a storm comes or something. Does not take 5 seconds to put on. That is besides the point: when designing cars you make it easier not harder and you do not "add features" that make no sense.

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4.9 & 1990 Lincoln LSC SE 5.0 HO)
It's not a design flaw. Both my '93 Regal and '91 Cadillac have unexposed wipers until they are activated. They would work just fine once any ice and snow are brushed away from the windshield.

jeraldo

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Its a total flaw. In winter, you want to have the blades not in contact with window so they don't freeze to the window. Also minimizes ice buildup on the wiper blade which would then scratch the window. If you shut off the ignition while the wipers are in motion, you can stop them in a way they can clear the hood. However, at least on my '16 Encore, only the passenger-side wiper will remain off the window -- the drive-side window does not fully retract.
As for the auto sensor lights, i agree with the prior complaints and add that the dashboard cannot be dimmed enough -- the minimum amount is too much for late night driving -- negatively impacts visibility. Also, you can't dim the dashboard at all when lights are on auto -- must manually turn on headlight in order to be able to dim the dashboard lights. :-(

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Its a total flaw. In winter, you want to have the blades not in contact with window so they don't freeze to the window. Also minimizes ice buildup on the wiper blade which would then scratch the window. If you shut off the ignition while the wipers are in motion, you can stop them in a way they can clear the hood. However, at least on my '16 Encore, only the passenger-side wiper will remain off the window -- the drive-side window does not fully retract.
As for the auto sensor lights, i agree with the prior complaints and add that the dashboard cannot be dimmed enough -- the minimum amount is too much for late night driving -- negatively impacts visibility. Also, you can't dim the dashboard at all when lights are on auto -- must manually turn on headlight in order to be able to dim the dashboard lights. :-(

Scratch the window? In 40 years of owing cars and most of them being parked outside I have never seen nor heard of a window being scratched by being iced up. It's only in the past few years that people in my area have taken to pulling up the wiper blade before a storm. It's a nice to have feature but a few minutes with the defroster on fixes that real quick.

G-942710

I hate that I can't put my wipers out
here in canada it's too cold and too much snow
when we have ice storms have to replace my wiper blades too often.
I am sorry but will not purchase another buick

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4.9 & 1990 Lincoln LSC SE 5.0 HO)
https://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AS247-Trigger-Spray-Windshield/dp/B01D8SRWOW
Ever hear of an ice scraper too? This is not a design flaw. Buick has been doing the same thing for over 30 years and would have changed it if it were. You'd be replacing your wipers on any vehicle if you use them when it's icy.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Pretty sure Buick isn't the only one that does this. Not to mention, have you looked at other Buicks? Not all of them have wipers like this. BTW, many years ago cars didn't have wipers that you could lift off the windows. Did Canadian's just stay home back then? I thought you folks were a hardier bunch than that.

Pedal Commander