Winter Rim/Tire Setup

Peco

Buick Ownership
Buick
Picked up a Winter Combo set for my Wife's Encore. We don't get the worst of winter here but the road we live on is one of the last to get plowed and I wanted to keep the factory chrome rims from pitting and corroding. I ordered everything online and looked for the best deals.

• (4)NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R – 215/65R16 - T441548 - $139.00 Per Tire - $556.00 Shipped

• (4)GM Steel Rim 16x6.5 – #13259234 (New #13412196 ) - $42.82 Per Rim - $215.81 Shipped
  • (4)Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor - # 20922900 - $19.50 Per Sensor - $80.45 Shipped

• (20)12X1.5 19mm 60 Degree Conical Seat Dual Thread Lug Nuts - $20.59 Shipped

• (4)Chevy Cruze 16" Chrome Bolt On Hub Caps – 467-16C - $62.00 Shipped

• Total : $934.85
  • Mounting And Balancing - $54.56
Here are some pictures of my set up. Had 2 snow days here with about 4-5" both times and the wife had no problems with the snow and slush.

Last edited:

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
2014 White Encore Premium FWD
Hey Peco...very nice set up ( and great pictures ). ! !
From which website did you buy the: Wheel Covers , Rims and TPMS ?

Peco

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey Peco...very nice set up ( and great pictures ). ! !
From which website did you buy the: Wheel Covers , Rims and TPMS ?
Thanks! The rims I got from GMPartsDirect under the old part #, but after I ordered them they found out that the Part # and price changed ($42.82 to $89.61 per Rim) but they said it was there mistake and gave them to me for $42.82 per. :headbang: The Covers and TPMS where off Ebay, If you need the names of the sellers let me know.

Peco

Buick Ownership
Buick
I love the chrome covers! :)

The Saab guys love the Hakka's.
I was ok with the looks of just the black rims but the wife wanted some "BLING" back after have chrome factory rims! I did a lot of searching on what tire to go with and the Hakka's where rated top on almost all of winter tire sites and on different forums (Subies, BMW, ECT.) these guys loved these on there AWD vehicles.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Buick Ownership
Encore
So your overall height remained the same? I tried out the wheels & tires I had gotten for my Sonic (stock 16” with snow) and though they fit on the Encore (¼ break caliper clearance) but the overall tire height was about 2” lower

Yours looks pretty good, I may have to chase it down.

I had priced up Tire Rack for stock 18’s set-up and it was about $1,500 & ship (but was alloy wheels) Looks like you got a great price on TPMS’s

Peco

Buick Ownership
Buick
The overall diameter on the stock 18's is 27.31in. and my winter tires are 27.00in. The overall variance is -1.12%, so with stock tires if I'm doing 62.14 mph the winter tire would only be 61.44 mph. These tires where closet to stock diameter without breaking the bank. Also my front rims too are about 1/4 clearance between the brake caliper and rim, close but works fine.

F499

Embrun, Ontario
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
Winter setup is the following:
4 black steel wheels from GM
20 extra regular lug nuts (no locks)
4 Bridgestone Blizzaks (225/65R16)
4 TPMS
$1,100 mounting and taxes in (Cdn dollars)

Wheel covers are next on our list.

As well, I would assume we will have to visit the dealer to get the sensors synced with the car.

Pictures will follow shortly.

F499

Peco

Buick Ownership
Buick
I just order a TPMS tool, I figured if I would be swapping tires twice a year the tool would be worth the $80. Tire Shop wanted $10 per tire ($40 total) to sync the sensors, so the tool would pay for itself after a year.

F499

Embrun, Ontario
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
Finallly got around to buying the wheel covers. We decided to go with the Chevy Trax 16" covers. (see attached) We're all set for winter!

F499

Peco

Buick Ownership
Buick
We just got about 8" of snow and the wife and I where very impressed on how the Encore handled it. Not sure how much the tires contribute to it as we never drove it in snow with the factory wheels. In the snow and slush it was very sure footed!

Peco

Buick Ownership
Buick
Also got the Ateq VT5 TPMS Reset Scan tool and it work great resetting the computer for the new sensors.

Dadof4Girls

MI
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
How did the snow tires do for everybody? My daughter did ok this winter, but planning on snow tires for next. They only got 340 inches of snow this year. Have a chance to pick up 16 in steel rims. How did they do.

14EncoreAWD

Buick Ownership
Buick
We are going to pick up a winter set as well. Good to hear the 16" rims clear the calipers as I was wondering that.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I want to thank the OP and all that posted in this thread because the information was invaluable to me.

I know it too early to start thinking about the winter and snow, but the best time to start your winter tire set-up is in the summer. I glad I did because the steel wheels are hard to find right now. I could just imagine how hard they would be to find in November.

Finding 18" steel wheels with a 105mm offset is just about impossible, and I'm not even sure that they exist. I do have a line on a set of (4) 16" x 6.5 steelies off of a 2012 Cruze.

I'll post updates and thanks again to all.

Last edited:

Dadof4Girls

MI
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
So my daughter is set to go! Let the 350 inches of snow start!

She now has 16 in steel wheels, 225/65/16 Blizzak WS80, and Cruze wheel covers. I will install at the end of October.

Lynnster

Buick Ownership
Buick
Very interested in this thread! About to order a 2015 AWD Encore & live in snow country. I'm a senior female & would love someone to explain just what these tires & wheels etc for winter are all about. I'm clueless so please explain as if I'm in kindergarten! tks!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!