Winter Rim/Tire Setup

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Basically what this thread is about is everyone wants to protect their nice new shiny wheels and get a second set for winter use only with the snows mounted on them.

The best way to do this is buy a set of 16" wheels that fit a Chevy Cruze. They have the same bolt pattern and other things and will fit the Encore.

You will need the 4 steel wheels, a set of 20 lug nuts because the lug nuts on your new 2015 will not fit the steel wheels, 4 nice looking plastic hub caps of your choice, and 4 tire pressure monitoring system sensors if you don't want to look at your warning light all winter.

That way when the snow comes, just pull off the nice wheels and put on the wheels with the snows tires.

Your other options are buy 4 snows that fit the new shiny wheels on your new car and have them changed over twice every year, or with AWD, just risk it with the original all season tires.

Lynnster

Buick Ownership
Buick
Tks Dave! We've always had AWD and never put on snow/winter tires so I guess we've been lucky. Will look into snows…;)

Peco

Buick Ownership
Buick
Was not as much concerned myself about "Wheel Protection" more for "Wife" protection.
(i.e. traction) :)
This was my point to going with the winter tire combo, added perk is it keeps the chrome rims looking good.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
It's hard to talk about in September, some of the most beautiful weather of the year, but I finally finished my winter tire setup.

I came across 4 16" steel wheels from a '12 Chevy Cruze for $50 per wheel. And as a bonus, and I was never expecting this, but each wheel came with a TPMS sensor. Most stellies don't, and you have to buy the sensor separately if you don't want to look at your warning light all winter.

Next, my tire man said he could get me 4 "Arctic Claw Winter TXi" 215/65/16 snows, mounted and balanced for $100 per tire. I never heard of them, and snow tires are not rated for tread wear or traction, so most of the information you can find on snow tires in word of mouth, and I read nothing bad about the Arctic Claw's. I wanted the Bridgestone's, but at $100 per out the door, I'm going to give them a shot.

Next I bought 20 lug nuts at around $20:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310964531671?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Then I bought chrome plastic hubcaps similar to the one the original poster bought. I felt they looked the closest to the factory chrome wheels. And plus they don't bang on, they mount using the external threads on the lug nuts I bought.

Finally, and I haven't tried it yet, but I bought a TPMS sensor activation tool for about $70:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3UNYW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figure it'll pay for itself in one year and I'll update when I figure out how to work it.

And as an aside, I bought the factory front and rear mudflaps form the dealer, so I don't want it, but let it snow!! I'm now officially ready.

And I also want to thank the original poster, whos research was very valuable to me. Thanks!

Mindaugas

Buick Ownership
Encore 2016
Hello, can somebody name part number of Buick Encore TPMS sensors? Trying to find with google help, but getting many different types. What excatly mhz has to be?

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Yeah, this was a little challenging to track down.
But I finally got it....

GM OE part # & ACDelco Part # are the same: 13598772
315Mhz

Last edited:

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Hello, can somebody name part number of Buick Encore TPMS sensors? Trying to find with google help, but getting many different types. What excatly mhz has to be?

Yeah, this was a little challenging to track down.
But I finally got it....

GM OE part # & ACDelco Part # are the same: 13598772
315Mhz

Get your turbo buick badge right here!