winter tires, rims, tpms - anyone getting them

verano4u

2019 Sportback
I am getting them in the fall for winter, but I am undecided about getting the tire pressure monitors for the rims for the winter tires.

The tire pressure monitors are around $50 each plus or minus depending where you buy them. :mad:

They also must be programmed to the car. I am sure the place that installs the tires will program them for a charge. A programming tool is required to program them to the car. And guess what, you need to program them again when you put back your regular summer rims/tires on again.

I may just not put them in and have the orange dash light shine over the winter, then maybe I will give in and get them.

verano4u

2019 Sportback
huh.......159 views and no replies. I guess nobody will be getting snow tires.

Just for fun, the snow tires that are recommended are the 215/60/16 size. They are listed on the Buick site. They will be the same height as the 17 and 18 inch tires. You just have to get new 16 in. rims. Or get the 17 or 18 tires depending on your current rim size and swap the tires on your rims....not recommended and the expensive route to take.

Carry on.

Snoopy

Nova Scotia
Verano
I haven't decided on whether I'll put snow tires on or not. My last car was a rear drive BMW and snow tires were an absolute must if you planned on going any where in snow. Prior to that my cars were front drive and I got away with just all seasons so could probably continue that trend with the Verano. That said, I have the 18" wheels and low profile tires on my Verano and expect they are probably very poor in snow. Just to argue with myself, I live in Atlantic Canada, have snow for 4-5 months of the year, so snow tires are probably a good idea even with the Verano.
I do have an almost new set of four 225/55/16 snow tires from my old BMW so may pick up a set of winter wheels that will fit the Buick and put them on. They are close enough to the the 215/60/16's that Buick recommend so that's an option for me.
I won't be messing with tire pressure monitors.

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Just to argue with myself, I live in Atlantic Canada, have snow for 4-5 months of the year, so snow tires are probably a good idea even with the Verano.
You must be single. As a married man I don't argue with myself, I get plenty of live action as it is :D

Jazzmine

Buick Newbie
Buick Verano
Which Buick site shows 215/60/16 size as a valid size for winter tires on Verano?

huh.......159 views and no replies. I guess nobody will be getting snow tires.

Just for fun, the snow tires that are recommended are the 215/60/16 size. They are listed on the Buick site. They will be the same height as the 17 and 18 inch tires. You just have to get new 16 in. rims. Or get the 17 or 18 tires depending on your current rim size and swap the tires on your rims....not recommended and the expensive route to take.

Carry on.

Snoopy

Nova Scotia
Verano
Which Buick site shows 215/60/16 size as a valid size for winter tires on Verano?
I haven't seen it on a Buick web site, but if you look at any of the tire sites (ie: Tire Rack) and look up winter tires for the Verano you'll seem them list "minus" size as 215/60/16 or alternatively 225/55/16.

llsaro

Buick Regal Turbo
So Verano4u did you ever get your winter tire package and if so what size tires did you go with?

verano4u

2019 Sportback
So Verano4u did you ever get your winter tire package and if so what size tires did you go with?
I used my old 16 inch rims from my 2005 Monte Carlo (fit perfectly) and put them on about 2 weeks ago with the 215/60/16 tires. I put on about 1100 km on the car with the winter tires. Everything is good!

:cheers:

verano4u

2019 Sportback
Did you mess with the TPM sensors? If not, is there a light on the dash?
They did not have any sensors for me yet. I have to go back and get them to put them in. (no charge because they did not arrive in time). Anyway, after driving the car for about 10 km, the warning came on the dash about servicing the TPMS and the tire light came on the dash. To get rid of the message, just turn the stalk on the steering wheel to display mileage or something else. It comes on everytime I start the car and I display something else to get rid of the message. The tire light on the dash flashes at first then turns solid orange. Nothing else happens and you drive the car as you would with the TPMS in.

I have the original TPMS in the wheels/tires that came with the car and will keep them there. Too much hassle to take them in and out all the time, so I bought 4 new sensors for just under $200.00 for the winter wheel / tire setup.

Snoopy

Nova Scotia
Verano
Thanks for that info. :) I haven't decided as yet whether I'm going to install snow tires, but if I do I'll probably not install TPMS on the winter wheels. I don't drive much in the winter and can handle the dash light for 4 months.

mike12verano

Eaton Rapids Mi
Buick Verano
I used my old 16 inch rims from my 2005 Monte Carlo (fit perfectly) and put them on about 2 weeks ago with the 215/60/16 tires. I put on about 1100 km on the car with the winter tires. Everything is good!

Have you checked your speed? are the tires the same hight. Im wondering how much of a hight difference is with the smaller size. it could show faster on the spedo.

Snoopy

Nova Scotia
Verano
Have you checked your speed? are the tires the same hight. Im wondering how much of a hight difference is with the smaller size. it could show faster on the spedo.
215/60R16 (recommended winter size), 225/50R17 (standard base Verano) and 235/45R18 (Verano option size) are all the same height and will have no effect on your speedometer.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!