winter tires, rims, tpms - anyone getting them

Ricks12

Buick Newbie
Buick
The dealer tells me that 16" rims won't fit the Verano, as they interfere with the brake calliper and that I must buy the 18" rim/winter combo.

Rick

verano4u

2019 Sportback
The dealer tells me that 16" rims won't fit the Verano, as they interfere with the brake calliper and that I must buy the 18" rim/winter combo.

Rick
Your dealer is wrong. I am running 16 inch rims and they do not interfere with the Verano callipers.

Snoopy

Nova Scotia
Verano
I'd be afraid of letting that dealer touch my car! Your spare tire is 16", the recommended tire size for winter is 215/60/16, how can your dealer make such a dumb statement?

Snoopy

Nova Scotia
Verano
I bought a set of used Buick Allure/Lucerne 16" chrome wheels. Most GM wheels will fit, just make sure their bolt pattern is 5-115. The spokes of these wheels were a little close to the brake caliper, so I had to use a 3MM spacer to solve the problem. That's got nothing to do with the fact they are 16", but simply the spoke pattern.

AK Goat

4.6L Northstar Member
Verano Premium
The clearance of the brake calipers may also impacted by the built in offset of the wheel. I know it impacts tire/wheelwell opening clearance.

Yes, I would also recommend Tire Rack. If for no other reason than to get a feel for pricing.

cabinio

Buick Newbie
2012 Verano - Leather
I opted for 16" steel rims for the winter, replacing the 18" alloy wheels. I got the 215/60R16 tire size with no problems for the calipers. Have put on at least 1000 kms on the wheels already.

No TPMS sensors installed, however I ordered them online and will get them installed, but have a couple of questions:
1 - does the TPMS sensor in the car (when activated orange) affect the stability control of the vehicle?
2 - will the recommended tire pressure for the 18" wheel be the same for the 16" wheel? I think that the recommended pressure would likely change
3 - if the recommended tire pressure should change, will the TPMS sensors function correctly.. i.e. how will the car know what the recommended pressure should be if no the same as the original settings.

If I get the sensors installed I'd try to go to a tire shop or dealer with the re-learning tool, to set the sensors to work again. Or I might order the re-learn tool - I was having trouble trying to ship this product to canada with the previous link provided.

Snoopy

Nova Scotia
Verano
The TPMS has no effect on stability control.
I don't think the recommended tire pressure will change much (if any) between the 16's and 18's. I used 32 PSI in my 16" tires, front and rear.
The car's computer will be programmed for your new wheels TPMS so the original settings are immaterial.
I didn't bother with TPMS for my winter wheels. These are my wheels which came off an older Buick. They look better than the black winter steel wheels and cost less.

GolfingDuo

Central Massachusetts
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
The TPMS has no effect on stability control.
I don't think the recommended tire pressure will change much (if any) between the 16's and 18's. I used 32 PSI in my 16" tires, front and rear.
The car's computer will be programmed for your new wheels TPMS so the original settings are immaterial.
I didn't bother with TPMS for my winter wheels. These are my wheels which came off an older Buick. They look better than the black winter steel wheels and cost less.

They look great in fact. Nice ride.

joe4g63

Buick Newbie
Buick
I stumbled across this thread cause my wife called and said the new winter tires we installed make the tire light go off. I said you are going to have to live with it cause we are not putting sensors in them for just the winter. Just to let you know if anyone is wondering a 08 Buick Lacrosse super will NOT fit 16" wheels, believe me I tried 4 different styles of gm 16" wheels. I ended up using some pontiac bonneville 17's that fit perfect.

cabinio

Buick Newbie
2012 Verano - Leather
Snoopy - thanks for the info, and I agree the wheels on your car do look much better than the black steel wheels on mine :)

I haven't put the sensors in yet, I just might wait until next winter so I don't have to remove the wheels an extra time.

Side note - 8000+ km on the car.

Turbo Buick Badge