• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Woke up this morning to this....

eccs19

Buick Ownership
Regal
Engine light on. Car has about 8000km on it. Got OnStar to do a probe. This is what it came back with. Doesn't tell me much other then it could be anything.

The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Engine Electrical System, including the Charging and Starting System that monitors and controls the engine starting system and 12V battery charging system. If the charge system light stays on, or comes on while driving, there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Driving while this light is on could drain the battery. If a short distance must be driven with the light on, be sure to turn off all accessories, such as the radio and air conditioner.

Should be noted, engine light in on, not the charging light as is kind of hinted at. Off to the dealer this morning for me.

Actual code is P16DC

eccs19

Buick Ownership
Regal
Update on this. When I got to the dealer, engine light was off. They checked regardless as per my request. Seems it was a low voltage code. They asked if the car sits a while between runs and I told them it was my daily driver. They load tested the battery and nothing seemed bad or off. If it comes back on, back to the dealer. I suspect I'll see it back on on another colder morning.

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
16 Encore, 12 Regal GS, 99 Ferrari 360, 01 Chevy Corvette Z06, 05 Chevy Silverado, 13 Ford Fusion
Here's a thought...That is "Battery Module Monitor Timer Performance" My guess is that it may be a connection issue....if it happens again when it gets cold, it could be that since matter contracts in the cold and then expands once warmed up, it could be just enough to affect the connection to the module. Had this happen with a non-automotive PCBA I was troubleshooting once....couldn't get it to fail like the customer said, then put it in the freezer....and discovered it was a solder joint pulling away when it got cold

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Years ago, when battery posts were exposed, it was easy checking the connections. When it wad COLD outside and I did not have tools with me, I would just take off a shoe and hit the terminals with the heel of the shoe. Connection often got better and car started. Once home, I’d clean terminals.

Today, no longer are batteries accessible, but also people no longer wear shoes with hard heels.

Someday, when I have the time and energy, I’m going to remove all the covers from the battery just to see how hard/easy it is to change it when the day comes that it needs to be changed.

eccs19

Buick Ownership
Regal
Years ago, when battery posts were exposed, it was easy checking the connections. When it wad COLD outside and I did not have tools with me, I would just take off a shoe and hit the terminals with the heel of the shoe. Connection often got better and car started. Once home, I’d clean terminals.

Today, no longer are batteries accessible, but also people no longer wear shoes with hard heels.

Someday, when I have the time and energy, I’m going to remove all the covers from the battery just to see how hard/easy it is to change it when the day comes that it needs to be changed.
I've never had a good look under the hood of the car. Is the battery there or is it in some other mysterious area? I've seen some cars with the battery under the back seat. Could never figure out why that was a good idea.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I've never had a good look under the hood of the car. Is the battery there or is it in some other mysterious area? I've seen some cars with the battery under the back seat. Could never figure out why that was a good idea.
Battery under hood, near front, driver side. Hidden under a lot of other stuff. Looks like once you unbolt the hold down, just a few things on top to be removed. Although it may look complicated, it’s much easier than many other cars.

eccs19

Buick Ownership
Regal
Battery under hood, near front, driver side. Hidden under a lot of other stuff. Looks like once you unbolt the hold down, just a few things on top to be removed. Although it may look complicated, it’s much easier than many other cars.
That's nice to know. I do a lot of my own work on cars, so I'm pretty handy. Nice when they actually make things easy for you.

Is it a special battery in these cars? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you need a special charger because of the characteristics of the battery. I find this curious as to what's so special / different vs any other car I've owned.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
^^^
Not really a special battery these days. It's not a flooded battery it's called AGM. No liquid sloshing around and the performance is better. You could use any old charger you want on it as long as it's smart but if you're looking at buying a new one, find one with an AGM setting.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
We just looked under the hood for the mystery battery, they sure do hide it! We were going to hook it up to the charger, but don’t have the fancy AGM type, so we decided against it. Weirdest cover, we could only get one part off, over the negative post, it’s like a puzzle. Not pleased. A battery should be easily accessible without having to goes it to the dealer.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
We just looked under the hood for the mystery battery, they sure do hide it! We were going to hook it up to the charger, but don’t have the fancy AGM type, so we decided against it. Weirdest cover, we could only get one part off, over the negative post, it’s like a puzzle. Not pleased. A battery should be easily accessible without having to goes it to the dealer.
Dude, RTFM! The only cover is the red one covering the positive charging post. Negative goes to the big honking terminal on the strut tower. If you want to charge it hook it up to those posts only!

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Dude, RTFM! The only cover is the red one covering the positive charging post. Negative goes to the big honking terminal on the strut tower. If you want to charge it hook it up to those posts only!
I agree on the point that we shall connect to what you have described.
However, those are secondary terminals and not the battery itself.
Sometimes, we need to hook up to the battery itself to minimize the extra parasitic draw if the battery is really dead.
On a side note, the GS has the battery in the trunk! 😓
Not sure which model of Regal does eccs19 have.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
Well, I went to the manual first, it was useless. Doesn’t give and guidance regarding the battery cover at all. I think we’re talking about two different things, I'm taking about the giant black plastic covering the entire battery.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Page 318. You don’t need to remove the cover unless your are replacing the battery.

there are two removable covers at either end if you want to get to the terminals.

Pedal Commander