Worst Buick (or any vehicle) service I've ever experienced

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Took my 2011 CSX in for a number of items that I've talked about on here before. Laura, the Buick rep, who monitors the forum has helped me by setting me up with Buick (GM) customer service and they are following the service on the car. It's a little long but worth the read. They had the car from Wednesday at 9 am until Friday at 5:15 pm.

Here is the quick rundown of issues.
1. Bass in music makes door trim on drivers side vibrate like crazy (no other spot in the car).
2. Fan squeaks at low, med and high speed. This is intermittent at best but I have an audio recording of it.
3. Heat shield (I thought) bangs at start up and gongs when engine is cooling off after being run.
4. Steering wheel not centered - toe adjustment
5. Tray inside center console armrest has two little slots for the tabs to grab and lift it up. One of the tabs is broken so it only lifts by the drivers side tab.
6. Break squealing ocassionally
7. About twice a week the nav screen gives me the warning disclaimer and prompts me to hit ok.

So, here's the story. With the gongs and bongs, they heard them the last time I had the car in. I've tried to make a recording of it but it's not happening right now. They couldn't replicate that or the fan squealing or the breaks making noise. So they can't really do anything about it since they can't find it. OK, I get that, no problem at all I'll keep watching and when it starts again, I'll bring it back in.

Here's where I get pissed. I'm a little unhappy with the answer on the nav system. The "invoice" I received, which is all no charge, says "Nav Display will at least twice a week pop up message to OK, like you do when you sign up." That's what the service guy wrote. The tech wrote "Only message to appear is disclaimer for navigation system normal to appear and have to select ok NC normal condition for vehicle."

So what they heck does that mean? The service guy told me that periodically the warning message will come up just to remind you not to look at the nav system while you drive. I don't buy that at all, but I could be wrong. Once you hit OK, I expect the message is dismissed and shouldn't come back. He's saying it's normal operation for that message to continue to come up. Laura, I need you to give me a true answer on this please. I don't believe it and I think it's simply a way for the tech to explain something he doesn't know or understand. Not to mention all he said was "only message to appear is disclaimer." Sounds like he saw the message as well so shouldn't that tell you there is an issue and it shouldn't be coming up after you hit OK the first time?

Now here is were I really get steamed and why I probably will not go back to that dealership again. If you have a LaCrosse, you know about the little tray in the center console armrest. There are two slots where the "hooks" on the arm rest connect to the tray to hold it up so you can access the well down below. It's very obvious that one of the slots is broken and the hook does not grab correctly because the plastic has broken out. So here is what the tech put in his notes. "Found tray out of position causing tab to crack 109 c2750. Removed center console armrest repositioned tray compartment reinstalled test all ok.

So I get in my car, after taking my son out for dinner, and open the arm rest and sure enough the busted tray is still in the arm rest. The stinking tech even noted it has "crack" and he left the busted-ass piece in the car and didn't replace it.

I immediately called my service tech who was gone but I left a voice mail and asked that he have the service manager call me. I'm pretty sure I'm done with this dealership for good. When I purchased the car, besides having it in for the gong and bong underneath, I had it in because the center console trim on the passenger side and the wood on the gearshift had a gouge in them. The service guy said nothing they could do and the sales guys sent me an email and said "I'm sorry my hands are tied the service department wont authorize the work, they think you caused the damage." I called my sales guy, and very politely reminded him the reason it was in the shop that day was because the service guy who prepped my car for delivery the day I bought it, forgot to look underneath and didn't see the front air dam was missing a bolt and it was hanging down on the drivers side. I reminded him that if he had been that detailed in the check, he would have noticed the front air dam, but he didn't.

I have no problem on items they can't actually see or experience the issue with. The audio recording of the fan was not enough for them and they didn't even ask for a copy of it for the tech, they just wanted to try and have the experience on their own. But for Gods sake, if you recognize the item is "crack"ed and note it in the service notes, fix the damn part instead of leaving the busted-ass one in the car. Either you are lazy and didn't do the work or you are a poor mechanic who just didn't care to do the work. Man I'm steamed right now.

Laura, shoot me a PM please.

Thehatguy

Dallas, TX
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS
Why didn't you go over each item with the service department before you left the dealership? I always go over each item to ensure I'm a happy camper.

I had scratches on my center console upon delivery. I took it in and they ordered the parts. There days later I took it back in and they replaced the parts. No charge.

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Looking back I wish I had done that and going forward I absolutely will. The reason I probably didn't was I had my 3-year old with me who was hungry (it was 5:15 pm) and had broke his arm 2 days prior so I wasn't focused on my car. That and I just wanted my car back and to get rid of the Malibu I was driving as a loner.

Even if we had found it, the techs were gone and they would have needed my car for another day to fix it. I would ave taken my car and left at that point anyway.

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
It's interesting your center console scratches was handled so much different than mine. After being told it was my fault and receiving the email from the sales guy saying his hands were tied, I called the dealership Sales Manager who wouldn't call me back and about 3 days worth of attempts later, I happened to be transfer to the General Manager.

I barely started my story and he said I'll pay for it. I want you happy and my team didn't do that. E was disappointed the sales guy never brought it to the management team. He just took whatever he was told and gave up.

The dealership was back in the great job category at that time. Until now.

kcrnmale

Buick Ownership
Buick
The Nav lawyer message does pop up occasionally and is MUCH improved from the old way (prior cars I've had with Nav) where you'd have to clear the message EVERY time you used the Nav.

Greg B.

Your dealer's attitude sounds very much like that of the one where I purchased my '09. Lousy PDI, incredibly inept and uncaring service department. They are now out of business and I can understand why. I would suggest you provide another dealer your business and see how they do. In my case it was like night and day.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
Did Laura get involved before or after your visit to the dealer?

mrlovingheart

Buick Ownership
Buick
When I first purchased my 2011 CXS I had to clear the nav disclaimer periodically. 11000 miles later and for the last 2 weeks I have to clear the disclaimer everytime I start the car. I am taking it to the dealer next week. Hope they don't tell me that its normal.

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
mrllovingheart - hope you don't have a big issue, but please post on here what the issue is.

I had my 2011 at the service department for the bong & gong and centered steering wheel issue once before. All three were "fixed" but never actually did anything to correct them. Laura sent me a PM after my post about things I was struggling with on my CSX and she set me up with a GM customer service person who called me and talked about my issues. But he was surprised it was not back in the shop yet and thought it was sent to him a little too early.

The GM customer service guy called me on Friday and I left him a message about the vehicle still being at the dealership. I've not talked to him since I picked it up and found that items not repaired.

I don't have a choice but to have a GM dealership do the work as it's under warranty so I'll be headed to another buick delership, the one I didn't use to purchase my cars because of the greasy car salesman feel of the sales people and their inability to want to work with me as I am able to purchase at gm employee pricing.

But maybe their service department is better than their sales department. Guess I'll find out.

ck_1500

Buick Ownership
Buick
mrllovingheart - hope you don't have a big issue, but please post on here what the issue is.

Ihad my 2011 at the service department for the bong & gong and centered steering wheel issue once before. All three were "fixed" but never actually did anything to correct them . Laura sent me a PM after my post about things I was struggling with on my CSX and she set me up with a GM customer service person who called me and talked about my issues. But he was surprised it was not back in the shop yet and thought it was sent to him a little too early.

The GM customer service guy called me on Friday and I left him a message about the vehicle still being at the dealership. I've not talked to him since I picked it up and found that items not repaired.

I don't have a choice but to have a GM dealership do the work as it's under warranty so I'll be headed to another buick delership, the one I didn't use to purchase my cars because of the greasy car salesman feel of the sales people and their inability to want to work with me as I am able to purchase at gm employee pricing.

But maybe their service department is better than their sales department. Guess I'll find out.

The bong and gong you are experiencing has something to do with the rear section of the exhaust system. Mine stopped doing that after about 4 thousand miles. Other people have experienced this problem. It seems to be growning pains and a breaking in problem. My steering wheel was off center to the right when going straight when I got the car new. I had it to the dealer 3 times for the problem. After the first visit, I was told their alignment machine wasn't updated for 2010 Lacrosses. I got an appointment for the next week and they checked the alignment and centered the steering wheel. I left the deal. It seemed straight but after a few miles it was off center to the left when going straight. The third visit they repositioned the wheel again. Same thing happened again, after a few miles the wheel was back to being off center to the right again. I then complained to customer service about the dealers not knowing how to service these new world class cars. After having a conference call between the dealer and customer service. He agreed to get to the bottom of the problem. On the fourth visit, within about 20 minutes they found and fixed the problem. This vehicle has a steering wheel angle position sensor, that needed to be recalibrated. They recalibrated it and problem was fixed. My Nav system also had the problems you described. They performed a firmware update and never got the warning disclaimer again. I believe the dealerships need more training and have there equipment brought into the 21st century. World Class cars need World Class dealerships.

Detroit, USA
When I first purchased my 2011 CXS I had to clear the nav disclaimer periodically. 11000 miles later and for the last 2 weeks I have to clear the disclaimer everytime I start the car. I am taking it to the dealer next week. Hope they don't tell me that its normal.
I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you're having with your navigation system but am glad to hear you’re getting your vehicle into the dealer. If you are still experiencing concerns afterwards, please feel free to private message me so I can look into the matter further for you.

Thanks,
Laura
Buick Customer Service

mrlovingheart

Buick Ownership
Buick
I contacted the dealer to schedule an appointment to have my 2011 CSX Lacrosse serviced. I inform the lead technician that I was having problems with my navigation system displaying the disclaimer page everytime I start the car. I was told by the lead technician that its supposed to work that way. When I disagreed, I was asked in no uncertain terms "if I had read the owners manual and I must read it front to back to understand this car". Needless to say, this dealer and myself are not off to a good start.

I have put about 11000 miles on my Lacrosse and for the first 10000 have had no problem with my nav system. Apparently this lead technician wants me to believe that the Nav System was actually "broke" the first 10000 miles only to miraculously fix itself in the last two weeks and 1000 miles.

Anyway, I have read the manual at length and performed alot of research via sites like these to try to be as informed as possible. (if only Buick dealers would do the same) and all of my research and experience has led me to believe this is a problem.

Laura, I will be in touch and appreciate your eagerness to help.

Last edited:

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
I contacted the dealer to schedule an appointment to have my 2011 CSX Lacrosse serviced. I inform the lead technician that I was having problems with my navigation system displaying the disclaimer page everytime I start the car. I was told by the lead technician that its supposed to work that way. When I disagreed, I was asked in no uncertain terms "if I had read the owners manual and I must read it front to back to understand this car". Needless to say, this dealer and myself are not off to a good start.

I have put about 11000 miles on my Lacrosse and for the first 10000 have had no problem with my nav system. Apparently this lead technician wants me to believe that the Nav System was actually "broke" the first 10000 miles only to miraculously fix itself in the last two weeks and 1000 miles.

Anyway, I have read the manual at length and performed alot of research via sites like these to try to be as informed as possible. (if only Buick dealers would do the same) and all of my research and experience has led me to believe this is a problem.

Laura, I will be in touch and appreciate your eagerness to help.

This is one of several known nav issues. I had it happen along with 3 other things (last played music file was forgotten and it would start playing a different file upon re-entry), last music source forgotten (I would be listening to MP3 music off the flash drive when I left the car and upon re-entry it would be on FM radio), and welll as always defaulting to Washington, DC whem I went to navigate.

In the early days, they would replace the radio (this was my case). Now they have a firmware fix (they reprogram the radio at the dealer's).

You are getting the "let's see if we can tell the customer they're using it incorrectly / the customer doesn't understand how it really works" approach. It's easy and works on some people who aren't willing to put up a fight.

You are obviously not one of those. Keep it up.

P.S. Was Laura of any help?

mrlovingheart

Buick Ownership
Buick
UPDATE:

I took my car in to have the navigation system serviced this week and as I suspected I was told that they could not find a problem.

But to make a long story short, they eventually found a Service Bulletin describing the problems I was having with my nav. They installed a software update and everything works like it did when I bought the car.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!