• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Would You Believe a 1973 Riviera Hood Ornament?

labdad32

Buick Ownership
1973 Riviera
My 1973 Riviera appears to have a base for an ornament mounted on the nose valance just ahead of the hood. I have yet to see a picture of a 73 so equipped. Has this been added? Was it an option? Thank you. F265A0AD-84B6-4229-89BA-5DF6CF942FAA.jpeg

Robert1955

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal Turbo
I am not a Buick expert by any means but I have never seen anything but the Stylized R which yours has. Can you get a closer pic of it for us?

labdad32

Buick Ownership
1973 Riviera
Thanks. My main interest is finding out if it could have come from the factory this way.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
My 73 Riviera didn't, not saying they couldn't, but I had the fender top indicator lights which are somewhat rare. Also seeing a bunch at shows, toss in 71 and 72 Riviera's also, I don't recall any of them having it, but then again lots items were dealer installed or done off sight from GM back then like the sunroofs.

It got me thinking about it, well here's a link that has a lot more details on the subject and I learned something new today also lol.
71GS Riviera hood "R" logo

Last edited:

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4.9 & 1990 Lincoln LSC SE 5.0 HO)
That would look kind of dumb to have the same ornament that's right below it. I would go for a Buick ornament as a replacement similar to the one on my current car (though such emblems were never on the car at al).

According to this other forum thread, an owner of a '73 from new claimed they were indeed like that from the factory with the two "R" emblems on the front. Double R on a '73?

labdad32

Buick Ownership
1973 Riviera
All, thank you very much. Looks like another one of those cases where using “never” and “none” cannot be applied here. I will likely remove, but keep the base when I re-paint, or make a different ornament I prefer the looks of.

Turbo Buick Badge