• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Would you do paint protection film?

WaWaZat

Has anyone done, or not done on purpose, paint protection film? I’ve heard pros and cons. Some of the cons are yellowing after a while, and possible damage to the paint if you want to remove it down the road. I may keep my TourX as part of my wagon collection. I have a couple Buick Roadmaster wagons from the 90s, so longevity, etc., is a concern.

FDM80

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
I had paint protection film put on mine. See my post in the other thread for details.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
I've had it installed on the front of my Jaguar since 2002 with no problems (headlamps & front of hood/fenders) and had it installed likewise on the new car as well. Did not have it done by the dealer but found the actual people who do it for the dealer (same materials & workmanship but half the cost--which came to $230). Installer used (and recommended) both 3M and Xpel products.

OCOMEON

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
I did Llumar PPF all over the front. Can be pricey, but gives peace of mind.

I've had Xpel on my Vette for six years. No yellowing at all and has prevented damage from road debris, bugs and birds.

IMO, PPF is totally worth it if you plan on keeping a car for a long time - and care about it looking new.

Shop for best prices, which can vary widely. An experienced installer is key.

Vinny68

It's not worth the cost IMO and you can always see the line between the film and the paint wherever it ends. To me it's up there with clear plastic slip covers for your couch.

WaWaZat

Have any of you guys with PPF had to remove it later? Does anyone know how it would affect the paint, say it had to be changed in 15 years?

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Never had a reason to remove it, and since its been applied to the headlamps, I would have noticed if it yellowed. I've had a car for 10 years (1990-2000) that didn't have any film, and the first 10 inches of the hood looked like crap over time--even with touch-up paint. As far as the line at the edge of the material goes, you'll have to look for it--it's not obvious to a casual observer.

Dr No

Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX
Going to keep the car for a while so I bit the bullet and had it done. X-Pel. Also got the windows tinted at the same time. I do have a 2007 BMW M5 that I bought used and it had the PPF on. It looks OK. No yellowing but it is not exactly smooth any more from the abuse of daily driving - only 38k miles. I thought about redoing it but cheap me wants to just leave it alone. I did try to buff it out with some mild compound and that did make it look better - less noticeable scratches on the surface. The paint would look much worse if it didn’t have it.

dino-mite

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX, Enclave, Verano
Definitely worth it if you got the money to spend. However, depends heavily on who installs it. Get someone that knows what they are doing. Went to a local shop here (best around) and the guy had to re-do my front bumper 3 times because he couldn’t be bothered to line it up correctly. Sometimes, local guys with a good rep are better than a shop. They care more since their reputation is everything.

WaWaZat

Just paid $1100 to have the bumper, full hood, backs of mirrors, top of bumper under hatch, door handle cups and door edges done by an X-Pel installer with a reputation for being the best around.

Having them tint the windows with ceramic too!

OCOMEON

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
Just paid $1100 to have the bumper, full hood, backs of mirrors, top of bumper under hatch, door handle cups and door edges done by an X-Pel installer with a reputation for being the best around.

Having them tint the windows with ceramic too!
👍👍 You're going to appreciate the added protection and how easy it is to clean bug and bird mess off those areas.

Might consider adding Xpel on the headlights when they do your tint. Keeps the lenses from getting scratched and pitted from road debris. Usually pretty inexpensive to do them.

Pedal Commander