• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Wouldn't you really rather gave a Buick?

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I don't see much that the V90 Volvo has that my $27,800 Essence TourX doesn't have except 20" inch rims and massaging seats.

That Volvo costs 2.5 TIMES what my Buick set me back. I have 12,000 miles on my Buick - had the control arm TSB done, oil change and tire rotation and, umm . . . gas? That's it.

And please will someone explain the demand for soft touch everything??? While I LOVE my 2014 Mazda6, the soft leather started to show wear in two years and the door armrest pleather, praised for it's soft touch material, has a depression where my arm RESTS. THAT looks cheap. Oh, it looked great when new with its fancy red and white stitches, but I'd rather the materials be a little firmer to last longer.

If I were to get a new vehicle every 2 years/24,000 miles, then I wouldn't care about the soft materials wearing out early . . . I also wouldn't care as much about my hard earned money, either.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
But I do agree with jfgesquire that leather seating is not always the best option. This was the case with a Passat wagon I drove for 8 years and driver’s seat looked fairly beat up in the end.

FWIW the leather seats in a Mazda5 space wagon we had held up well in comparison.

I like the fact that my Essence seats don’t look/feel much like leather and hope they stand up over time.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Well in your case the problem is not with soft touch but is with Mazda
I disagree. I have seen the same problem on other vehicles that supposedly have those better "soft touch" materials than what GM uses.

I was using the Mazda only as an example and not as a closed group.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I disagree. I have seen the same problem on other vehicles that supposedly have those better "soft touch" materials than what GM uses.

I was using the Mazda only as an example and not as a closed group.
Yeah, leather may be easier to clean but if you don't condition it it doesn't age well. I'd just as rather have cloth, even if it's not heated like it should be for this price class.
Genuine and high quality leather is incredibly strong and long-lasting. Cheap or man-made leather is not.
Cloth is even worse that it not only ages poorly, but also gets dirty and smelly very easily.

At this price bracket it is simply not possible to get anything both nice and durable, that's for sure.

jclin4

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The C30 I mentioned earlier as well as a V70 wagon we owned both had “cloth” seats. I use quotes because they were actually made from different materials in different places, and not like cloth I’ve seen in other cars, e.g the Preferred trim.

The seats were very durable and did not soil easily. Appearance and feel was sophisticated and not cheap looking.

This thread began as a kind of knock on Volvo, but they do somethings rather well like seats (and of course safety).

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Genuine and high quality leather is incredibly strong and long-lasting. Cheap or man-made leather is not.
Cloth is even worse that it not only ages poorly, but also gets dirty and smelly very easily.

At this price bracket it is simply not possible to get anything both nice and durable, that's for sure.
Lots of complaints about Mercedes leather at MBWorld...16830

lurch70

Queens, NY
Buick Ownership
Owned a 1976 Regal & 1990 Riviera
I have Leatherette on my current Volvo and also had it on 2 previous Mini Coopers I've owned ... looks like leather, breathes well and wears great ...

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Lots of complaints about Mercedes leather at MBWorld...
I could be wrong - Although I have to point out that MB is really not known for its durabiliy/reliability.
He/she did say that he/she never seen deterioration on leather this early.

Durability of hard plastic is no mystery and the Land Cruiser is one example I can think of which used it to extreme.

Pedal Commander