WTF?? Badges no more?

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
It's the name badge - Regal, Encore, etc. that will vanish, not the tri-shield logo. There is a decided sentiment on chat boards that the Buick name conjures images of blue-haired women driving 20 mph under the speed limit and elderly men whose pants' waistband crosses their abdomen. As long as we enthusiasts know what the tri-shield logo means, seeing the Buick name eliminated from the vehicle doesn't bother me. Buick's falling in line with other manufacturers that do this - Mercedes, for example.

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I think it's dumb. If your nameplate is hurting you that much, you're screwed as a brand.

I think the bigger problem is there's a lot of good cars available now, even from the 'econo' brands. On top of this, the line between top standard class and entry luxury trims is blurred. The white space Buick fills is getting increasingly narrow. People who already seemingly prefer numb driving cars seem to have an equally numb sense of styling and interior design. So those subtle differences are lost, and if they can save a few thousand buying a cheaper car that does what they need/want, all the name plate removal in the world isn't going to lure them.

This could be a sign of the death rattle for Buick.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
Does Buick stick theirs on or use pins for the text badges?

You should pry yours off, and tell us... Really, if you run dental floss behind them to "cut" the adhesive, and you hit something hard, then they're probably pinned.

I think it's dumb...

This could be a sign of the death rattle for Buick.
Actually, if it's a sign that the Buick crest is recognizeable without saying "BUICK," then it's a sign of a healthy brand.

And Buick is yuge in Jina ("huge in China"). Buick's not going anywhere, even if the brand in the USA is only (1) rebadged GM SUVs, (2) rebadged Opel/Europe cars, and (3) rebadged cars for China.

What's that re-badging cost? (Not much.)

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Actually, if it's a sign that the Buick crest is recognizeable without saying "BUICK," then it's a sign of a healthy brand.

And Buick is yuge in Jina ("huge in China"). Buick's not going anywhere, even if the brand in the USA is only (1) rebadged GM SUVs, (2) rebadged Opel/Europe cars, and (3) rebadged cars for China.

What's that re-badging cost? (Not much.)
Quite the glass-half-full, aren't you?

I'm wishful that your reality is more in line with actual reality, but overall sales and market trends support the notion that Buick is not long for this world. They're surviving, they're certainly not thriving.

gj1

Buick Ownership
Buick
I think it's dumb. If your nameplate is hurting you that much, you're screwed as a brand.

I think the bigger problem is there's a lot of good cars available now, even from the 'econo' brands. On top of this, the line between top standard class and entry luxury trims is blurred. The white space Buick fills is getting increasingly narrow. People who already seemingly prefer numb driving cars seem to have an equally numb sense of styling and interior design. So those subtle differences are lost, and if they can save a few thousand buying a cheaper car that does what they need/want, all the name plate removal in the world isn't going to lure them.
Sounds like Hyundai/Kia.

The brand I don't get is Cadillac - who buys those things? Did they not cross shop an Audi or a Lexus?

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
The brand I don't get is Cadillac - who buys those things? Did they not cross shop an Audi or a Lexus?
I don't have one, and can't see buying one, but I wouldn't have an issue with Caddilac...

If I were in the market for a sports sedan, I'd be looking seriously at an ATS or CTS. (FWIW, C&D says they're super.)

Audi? Reliability issues.

Lexus? Hideous.

gj1

Buick Ownership
Buick
I don't have one, and can't see buying one, but I wouldn't have an issue with Caddilac...

If I were in the market for a sports sedan, I'd be looking seriously at an ATS or CTS. (FWIW, C&D says they're super.)

Audi? Reliability issues.

Lexus? Hideous.
MIL has an ATS and before that she had a CTS. I don't like either of them, they both feel cheap. She doesn't like the ATS because it doesn't ride like a Cadillac is supposed to (it's not a motorized sofa).

I don't mind cheap cars, but I do object to expensive cars that feel cheap.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
I'm coming from older Subarus, and other mass-market cars (Fusion/Camry/Sonata/Altima/Charger), and the Caddilacs that I sat in at a dealer last year seemed REALLY nice...

FWIW, when I test-drove a TourX, I thought it was really nice, too.

It's not over-the-top luxurious like my godparents' A6, but it seems nice enough to me...

Mike E

Buick Ownership
None currently, had an '83 Riviera
What's the big deal? Does BMW, Mercedes or Audi have their brand name on their cars?

NO - BMW has the propeller log, Mercedes has the 3 pointed star, and Audi has the 4 interlocking rings.

Smart move, or really, not worthy of being a news story at all IMO

Buick Ownership
none
Actually, it's not just the luxury marques doing this. You won't see the name of the make on the backs of new Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, Chevys, and others. (not really counting Ford and Nissan since their logos are their names, but they also don't have their names separately).

Not really news, but an interesting footnote. They probably figure there is enough brand recognition to be able to do away with it, as well as drawing folks in who might have a particular (negative) presupposition about the brand.

Clutch Cargo

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal T-01, Silver, 6MT
Like a number of other posters, mine were gone 10 minutes after getting the vehicle home. No big deal and is in keeping with other near luxury brands.

Monti182

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS, WDT, Sunroof, Nav
Actually, it's not just the luxury marques doing this. You won't see the name of the make on the backs of new Hondas, Toyotas, Hyundais, Chevys, and others. (not really counting Ford and Nissan since their logos are their names, but they also don't have their names separately).

Not really news, but an interesting footnote. They probably figure there is enough brand recognition to be able to do away with it, as well as drawing folks in who might have a particular (negative) presupposition about the brand.
This took my exact point to the "T". A quick drive on the highway and you will notice very few, if any manufacturers still have the brand's nameplate on the rear of the vehicle. Just logo and model name. I guess Buick felt like they needed to have it there since the design language of their cars have changed so much in the past 10 years (see "That's a Buick?..." campaign). But that's over and it's time to move on. I'm just glad their cars actually have NAMES instead of the ES 456 LMNOP DX crap. I get it, Platform/submodel/engine displacement = Easily understandable name that works in all regions, but it gives the car no personality, no identity. You wouldn't name your son Male Brunette 7lbs 9oz. I could go on, but i'll just stop right here.

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
This took my exact point to the "T". A quick drive on the highway and you will notice very few, if any manufacturers still have the brand's nameplate on the rear of the vehicle. Just logo and model name. I guess Buick felt like they needed to have it there since the design language of their cars have changed so much in the past 10 years (see "That's a Buick?..." campaign). But that's over and it's time to move on. I'm just glad their cars actually have NAMES instead of the ES 456 LMNOP DX crap. I get it, Platform/submodel/engine displacement = Easily understandable name that works in all regions, but it gives the car no personality, no identity. You wouldn't name your son Male Brunette 7lbs 9oz. I could go on, but i'll just stop right here.
Exactly. It's the norm nowadays...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.