• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

air conditioner odor

Desert Moose

Buick Ownership
Buick
try turning the heater all the way up for about 10 mins that may dry out whatever is condensed and leaving an odor. Secondly, have you replaced the cabin air filter?

OctoberAmy

Buick Ownership
Buick
There is also an AfterBlower feature that you can have enabled (by software), assuming the hardware is already there (it was in my 2012 LaCrosse). This thing will blow the fan for 10 minutes after you shut off the car to dry out the Evaporator core. (At least it is supposed to blow for 10 minutes. Got mine done today and it only blew for 1 minutes, so I have to get that checked out).
In summary, here is everything I've learned about this vinegar/moldy AC smell:
1. Check your drain tube isn't clogged
2. Spray disinfectant like Lysol into the air vents under the windshield with the AC running and Recirculate turned off and fan on High.
3. Have the AfterBlower feature turned on. (If you can't do this then at least turn off the AC a few miles from home like the other poster suggested.)
4. Always turn off the AC when you don't need it (the new "Auto Climate Control" cars will run it all the time, even in the winter, this seems stupid to me).
5. Always turn off the Recirculate mode unless you really need it colder. This mode doesn't allow the Evap core to dry out as well as fresh air intake. (I guess because colder air doesn't dry it out as well as warmer air from the outside).
6. Replace the cabin air filter (only after you've done the above, otherwise you're probably wasting your money).

stevek

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had this same issue and it comes up about once a year. The dealer has to replace the cabin air filter that is located behind the glove box (they have to remove it to replace) and it seems to take care of it until leaves, road grime, gunk, etc accumulates again on the filter and we go through the old gym sock smell again. $100+ a crack, I thought more thought would have gone into an air filter rather than having it be an afterthought.

Viper0516

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Last week, I had my vehicle brought to the dealership for the smell issue. They kept it for 2 days, have the tech bring it home. They reported back to me that they were not able to smell anything. I was so furious because I smell it EVERYDAY. They wouldn't do anything because they cannot replicate the *bleeping* issue. They, then, told me they have an aircon cleaning kit that they could use to perform cleaning, but since it is a maintenance part, it is not covered under warranty. In my desire to get rid of the nasty smell, I authorized the job. To date (since last Saturday), I have not smell any odor that I usually smell everyday which means the cleaning was effective, therefore, there could have been something in there that was causing the odor. Unfortunately they couldn't smell a damn thing (perhaps the tech has much more of a body odor) so I end up paying for the service.
I brought the vehicle home but parked outside the driveway instead bringing it straight to the garage. Approximately, 10mins later went back to the car to park inside, I noticed the ac blower was blowing (keys out of ignition). Immediately called Onstar to run diagnostic..no codes. I did however have them note the phenomenon. Fast forward today, I went to the car wash, drove home (3 miles), parked inside the garage and perform additional cleaning. 3 times for about 8mins interval the blower turned for for a few seconds (again keys out of ignition).
My questions:
1. Anyone else experienced this?
2. Could this be a part of a programming routine to cycle the blower after turning off the engine to get rid of any residual moisture and the likes that could have accumulated?

Haven't called the dealer about this since it was past office hours. Will also be contacting the buick district rep that i have recently been in touch with regarding other issues with this same vehicle.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello! This is my first post on this forum, so my apologies if I am not following normal protocol with anything here!

It sounds like they enabled the after blower feature on your car. It will basically allow your fan to run in increments up to I believe 30 minutes after you shut the car off. Freaks me out every time I hear the thing running in the garage. The dealership enable this, along with spraying some cleaner stuff in (now FIVE times) as well as having my pay to replace the air cabin filter. Unfortunately, none of this has solved the problem longer than about a week.

But, back to your original question...yes, the fan running after the car is off is "normal"....or at least intended.

MeghanJ115

Buick Ownership
Encore
I have the same musty smell and same issue with dealership techs not smelling it. I bought my car brand new in 2016 I have brought it in 6 times to 2 different dealerships for the smell and been brushed off everytime. On top of their lack of customer service skills its concerning that my brand new vehicle has the same issue and Buick hasnt stepped up to resolve it after this many years. I LOVED my car but I cant wait to get rid of it before I end up sick from whatever this musty smell is, or stranded AGAIN from the coolant leak they keep "fixing" (not)

atomicbee

Southern California
Buick Ownership
2014 AWD PR 2
Hello,I have used this before with excellent results

1. remove cabin filter
2.start car and run ac COLD with the fan on high and spray OdoBan (home depot) or Lysol down all the outside vents for about 2 mins
3.let ac run on high setting for another 10 mins
4.turn ac to Hottest setting and repeat steps 2 and 3
5.install cabin filter

Attachments

BJkit

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse
Hello Divrdown,

This situation sounds very frustrating! I would like to investigate further for you. Would you mind sending me some information via private message? I will just need your name, phone number, VIN#, and vehicle mileage. Is there a dealership you frequent? I would like to set up an appointment for you to get the vehicle looked at. If you don't have a dealership you regularly visit, you may provide me with your zip code, and I could find one for you! I hope to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care
Jessica, Please call or email me about stinky air conditioner in Buick. 785-229-5474 or bjkitte@att.net

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Smoking in the car can make this problem much worse. Not sure whether any of the posters smoke, or have someone else in the car who smokes. The combustion products of tobacco can accumulate on the evaporator, and then it becomes a science experiment.:)

Pedal Commander