• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

AWD Makes Noise Near Rear of Car when Turning at Slow Speeds

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Update to my DIY above. I would not recommend using anything other than the ACDelco Dexron LS gear oil.

From the repair data: "Installation of the incorrect type gear oil may create a "moan" type noise within 7 770–25 900 km (3–10,000 miles). Fluid that is "black" in color is to be considered normal and is darkened by the carbon material in the clutch plates."

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
Get the welder out and weld the b!+<h!!!!

Having a little fun... hoping for the best for you guys...

knight001

Buick Ownership
ZB VXR
Hi all....

So just had the 24,000km service (nearly 15K miles) and took my car away for a weekend getaway.

So now that I’m back I had noticed a noise coming from the rear when I’m driving and turning right majority of the time.

Also if I’m feathering the accelerator pedal or reversing low speed.

I took my car in for service and the service technician noticed it straight away. He told me that he has had few in now for this issue and Holden (GM) advised to replace gear oil.

Picked the car up and the sound has gone. Feels a lot better to drive however at low speed and entering a mild incline the car feels sluggish and I feel the need to put my foot down to go back a gear.

I know that this could be related to the factory tune in the transmission as I have read about this elsewhere in car reviews where it was noted that while it is a good transmission it can be sometimes be lazy to kick back at low speed and small inclines.

I guess that I did not notice it as much before and wonder if the diff issues which seem fixed with the oil change had anything to do with it?

Maybe the transmission needs resetting? (Not sure how to do that) or could something else be acting up? Or perhaps a better transmission tune is in order...

Other than that... It’s a dream to drive!

2019 ZB Holden Commodore VXR.
Cheers... Tim

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Most likely the technician reset it and now it doesn’t know how you drive. Its not normal to do this during a fluid change so I’m sure why it would change. Give the adaptive learning some time. There isn’t a way to clear the transmission yourself unless you have a dealer-level scan tool.

knight001

Buick Ownership
ZB VXR
So.....I just wrote a ticket on my car (2018 GS 17000 miles) last week and had our techs check it for this EXACT concern. Ultimately, the rear diff fluid was just changed out. However, my tech came to my desk and told me to come take a look at something when he drained the fluid. In all the years I have been writing service, I have always known Diff fluid to be clear or brown, depending how dirty the fluid is. What I saw come out of my rear diff was JET BLACK. Neither my tech or myself had ever seen this before. He said GM was telling him to just change the fluid. He told me if the sound came back, we would just replace the rear diff. Here is a screen shot of my complaint and his diagnosis. As black as the fluid was, im expecting we will be replacing the rear diff down the road
View attachment 18693
Hello… Just a question. How is your car now that the fluid was changed? I noticed a lot of people have had their diff replaced and some just had fluid changes. I had this issue and (GM Holden) recommended fluid change which took the sound away.
Just wanted to know how things are going or if the sound ever came back?
The only thing I have noticed since the fluid change is that unless it’s another issue I feel that the car is sluggish in moderate inclines or feels like it’s lugging up hills sometimes to which I feel I need to put my foot down more to make the car kick back a gear to bring the revs up.

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!