Blow-Out Protection for PCV Failure

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
You can look down the intake and check if the check valve is still in place. When I installer the Trifecta tune and it didn't work they had me check a bunch of things. They were saying I had a problem. This was the first thing they had me check. I posted my picture earlier in this thread. My check valve was visible. Also you can remove your engine cover and check if the regulator is leaking.

Daytona@88

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore base
Got it, just a little concern when disconnecting that hose to look for the check valve as I heard that it can break easily. I will give it a try, I'll keep you posted.

Daytona@88

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore base
Thanks, I will try it that way.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
The CEL needs 3 startups before it will turn "OFF" after code P0171 is fixed. So the spring hung up in the boot may have been the cause for your code. Changing the breather cap will not set a code.

Update: So, I went ahead and put the breather cap on and within 15 miles light comes back on. Not sure if I have a defective cap but it's almost certain that's the culprit of my CEL coming back. At this point I'm not going to keep trying with this cap and just keep the factory one on it. I'll see if I can return it and if not I'll have to take it as a lost.
This is a bit concerning, for I wonder if my aftermarket cap will have the same problem. I may have not been clear in my previous post about the breather, since when I got mine, not long after I purchased the car, I put it on, drove the car a bit to see if it worked ok and there were no leaks, put the OEM cap back on, and stored the aftermarket cap in the back of the Encore to have it ready if and when the engine had problems with the PCV system. So I may have the same experience as you if I were to use the cap for some time. Anyway, I just looked at the bottom of the breather/check valve cap where one can see the check ball, and it does look as if it wouldn't take much pressure to lift the ball allowing air to escape from the crankcase, which air release might be the reason a code was set on your vehicle.

I think I'll put my aftermarket cap back on and see if I end up with the same code as you. Since I purchased my cap two years ago, no return for me, but I basically wanted it for when a problem arises anyway.

Daytona@88

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore base
Thanks for this info Steveyo, light came on this morning so I immediately did the switch to the OEM cap. I'm just going to wait for the 3 startups or so to see if the ECM will clear the light but I'm not going to deal with the aftermarket cap again. I mean don't get me wrong, breather is great quality but I guess I'm not 100 percent sold on it's functionality. Let me know if you do the switch and if the light comes on, I'll keep you posted on my end. Thanks again.

Daytona@88

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore base
Update #2: so after driving for about a week and almost 200 miles later no CEL. My little Encore didn’t like that breather cap. Not sure if it was defective but either way I tried and didn’t work. Seller was nice enough to give me a full refund. Encore driving great now.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!