• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

HOW-TO: Install factory navigation in base radio Lacrosse

erehc79

Buick Ownership
Buick
Theraven where did you mount your gps antenna? I am going to install my unit this week and was wondering what the best spot for the antenna would be. Should I take it to the back in the trunk or will it be OK right at the dash.

bobby49

Buick Ownership
Buick
For any fairly new Lacrosse, the standard factory mounting spot for the fin antenna is at the back of the roof next to the rear window, and centered.

OTOH, I've used many older GPS receivers in older Buicks, and I never had any problem with mounting a small patch antenna right on top of the dash next to the vents next to the windshield. As long as the antenna can look straight up at the sky without any metal obstructions, then it is generally going to work. The more metal obstructions that you get around, the more problems you may have. If you have some pretty crappy radios and electronics near the antenna, that may make more problems, so that also makes the case for putting it at the back of the roof.

erehc79

Buick Ownership
Buick
For any fairly new Lacrosse, the standard factory mounting spot for the fin antenna is at the back of the roof next to the rear window, and centered.

OTOH, I've used many older GPS receivers in older Buicks, and I never had any problem with mounting a small patch antenna right on top of the dash next to the vents next to the windshield. As long as the antenna can look straight up at the sky without any metal obstructions, then it is generally going to work. The more metal obstructions that you get around, the more problems you may have. If you have some pretty crappy radios and electronics near the antenna, that may make more problems, so that also makes the case for putting it at the back of the roof.
thanks. i was thinking the same but wasn't sure. just trying to make sure it is as factory looking as possible, back it is then. thanks again.

erehc79

Buick Ownership
Buick
So at the dealer to get my radio cleared so I can use the nav. They tell me there is nothing they can do after trying everything. How is it that a Buick dealer can't clear the vin... I'm just amazed they can sell me the car, work on it and call themself certified but yet can't unlock my radio... I heard the stories here about wasting time at the dealer. I called mine and explained what I had and they told me they should have no issue.. What a joke.... the best part is I still get charged to a service they couldn't even do... What a freaking joke.. now i have to spead more money to send this thing out to get programmed not to mention the time to pull it.. so stupid... folks please don't go to the dealer if your doing this mod. They are a waste....

bobby49

Buick Ownership
Buick
The only person to blame would be whomever engineered this modification. GM never claimed that the modification would work. The dealer never claimed that it would work.

IanDMacDonald

3.8L Member
Flint, MI
Buick Ownership
'11 Buick LaCrosse CXL
I ended-up buying a bluetooth receiver for my radio. I may abandon this mod. I'm interested in the colored dash display.

brknnksLacrosse

Buick Ownership
Buick
So at the dealer to get my radio cleared so I can use the nav. They tell me there is nothing they can do after trying everything. How is it that a Buick dealer can't clear the vin... I'm just amazed they can sell me the car, work on it and call themself certified but yet can't unlock my radio... I heard the stories here about wasting time at the dealer. I called mine and explained what I had and they told me they should have no issue.. What a joke.... the best part is I still get charged to a service they couldn't even do... What a freaking joke.. now i have to spead more money to send this thing out to get programmed not to mention the time to pull it.. so stupid... folks please don't go to the dealer if your doing this mod. They are a waste....

Try talking to the guys at MVI from Colorado sometimes hard to get ahold of but very knowledgeable and they specialize in doing these GM product upgrades. They sell packages etc to do many different upgrades but also can do the programming of your own unit as they told me that when I talked to them. I have not got the upgraded unit to send to them yet but hopefully within the next year I plan to do it.

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
Lol.
Is this where I say, told you so?

dumpst3r

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks TheRaven Great Post.

I have installed the nav system now and have also took it to my local dealer with no such luck on programming. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck.

Thanks Again

plagmah

Buick Newbie
Atlanta GA
Buick Ownership
11 Lacrosse CSX
all of the pictures are blocked on this thread. I am looking to do this mod for my 11 lacrosse. Tack000 did you complete the project? I feel pretty confident in all the steps except soldering. Does anyone sell the created harness for this mod? the 3 pieces are readily available from EBAY. And I am willing to send the silverbox into update to VIN number. And getting the twinax and GPS antenna seems easy. I would like to also add a backup camera. anyone add that?

faxydid

Buick Newbie
FRANCE
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello,
i have this project in my head, RETROFIT NAV
i have a SAAB 9-5 NG but the system is identic

the pictures are blocked on this thread, it is because of photobuket, can someone send the pictures please

thanks you

didier of FRANCE

plagmah

Buick Newbie
Atlanta GA
Buick Ownership
11 Lacrosse CSX
PLEASE . PLEASE....If anyone has or can get the pics, I would appreciated it!!

thanks!!

G-318051

all of the pictures are blocked on this thread. I am looking to do this mod for my 11 lacrosse. Tack000 did you complete the project? I feel pretty confident in all the steps except soldering. Does anyone sell the created harness for this mod? the 3 pieces are readily available from EBAY. And I am willing to send the silverbox into update to VIN number. And getting the twinax and GPS antenna seems easy. I would like to also add a backup camera. anyone add that?
hey,what type of twinax do I need or can get one from not what of
Twinax cable need is their a certain one or any one will do

Tom_S

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Lacrosse leather / V6 / Intellilink
Hello all, I just bought a 2013 Lacrosse with intellilink touchscreen but no NAV. Just picked this up on Ebay:

2013 Buick Lacrosse Radio with Navigation Option UHQ UP9 UWG 22989452

and from what I'm reading it looks like that radio plus a GPS antenna, are all I need (other than firmware from dealer). Is that correct or am I missing something? Thanks!

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Firmware may be aware but radios are coded in the event of theft. Also read the radio controls are a pod management only and radio is actually a part of engine management computer? Further comments or correction would be great.

Pedal Commander