2017 Buick Encore Turbo Failure

drhealyourself

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore Sport Touring
That's about where I am on mileage right now, but currently working remotely due to the quarantine. I think I ended up taking that car back about 3 times since I got it in September. It's working now, but like I stated, I'm also not driving it because I'm working from home now.

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
I just replaced my vacuum cover and the next day the engine light came on and it says it’s the turbo. I bought it in March with 59,000 miles on it.
[/QUOTE

So, if I understand your situation you initially got an engine warning light. You ran the code that it gave which indicated it was a PCV related issue. You replaced the valve cover which had that PCV regulator built in that can go bad and can't be replaced separately. After that replacement the engine light went off but then went back on again?

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
That could indicate that the exhaust manifold diaphragm could also be bad. There is a little valve in there that can go bad, and I think it is plastic like a lot of engine parts on small four cylinder engines nowadays. If they can put on plastic valve covers then anything is believable to me. I have seen videos on replacing the manifold or modifying it by drilling it out and putting in a vent hose. There are some write ups on that as well on Cruze Talk.

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
That could indicate that the exhaust manifold diaphragm could also be bad. There is a little valve in there that can go bad, and I think it is plastic like a lot of engine parts on small four cylinder engines nowadays. If they can put on plastic valve covers then anything is believable to me. I have seen videos on replacing the manifold or modifying it by drilling it out and putting in a vent hose. There are some write ups on that as well on Cruze Talk.

You must mean intake manifold, because there is no plastic in the exhaust manifold. And it's not plastic it's orange silicone rubber. You can see the nib here.

cHtOQfb.jpg

poncho167

Buick Ownership
2019 Essence
Yes, that is what I was talking about, thanks. That wouldn't last but one drive if in the exhaust manifold, Lol.

Rcflyer2

Buick Ownership
Encore Premium AWD
The turbo is a whole unit exhaust manifold wastewater and turbo including oil lines almost like a module.
Wastegate!!!! Damn autoincorrect

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
Interesting. I had to add "wastewater" to my browser's dictionary so it would stop complaining about it. I was a water & wastewater laboratory technician before I retired.

Shellybbb

Buick Ownership
2017 encore
All's good 👍 I didn't want to offend anyone. I just don't understand why some people coming on the forums with all the negatives and don't even own the car they are complaining about and not in the right forums to top it off.

Again no offense but let try to keep it positive and on topic of the forum.

Have a great day
On other forums some people have said they have over 100,000 miles. I know of one person with that engine in a Cruze that has 182,000 if I recall and never a turbo related issue. It is not a common issue believe it or not, but just seems to be something that would be reported on a website blog. Not too many people go on Face Book or other places to say how happy they are with something.
What did the turbo fail for, a cracked housing? You should not have to pay anything for a diagnostic fee, it was their part that failed.
He said something about they couldn't just replace the bad part, so they replaced the whole thing.
How long did that take? To replace whole thing

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
How long did that take? To replace whole thing
See your other thread

Shellybbb

Buick Ownership
2017 encore
Its been a long day....

I have a 2017 Buick Encore purchased brand new that has 31k miles on it. 95% of the miles are highway as I travel quite a bit for work. I also follow the "aggressive" maintenance schedule in the owners manual. Coming home from Nashville, TN, my check engine line start to flash and my RPMs go up to about 4k. My car has no power and cannot maintain speed. I pull over, the car isn't overheating everything else looks good. Just no power. Now, I know a little about cars and quickly realized it had to be the turbocharger on it. I limped to the closest Buick dealership for them to run diagnostics on it and tell me that the turbocharger has failed and it would need to be replaced. First of all, I understand shit happens. Im like ok, when can it be fixed. They state not for at least a month. Im like a month?! The inform me that the turbo charger is on backorder, and they have a another customer with the same problem and she has been waiting since May 31st. Im like....ok ok I understand, Im fine with a loaner. To which they reciprocate with, "We cannot provide you with a loaner as we can only loan our cars out when we know that the part is in stock and on its way" Strange, but ok. In which case I respond with, I can rent a car, I'll pay for it as long as you all will reimburse me. They stated that they cannot do that, that they have no options for me even though my car is still in its bumper to bumper warranty. Call GM customer service. At this point I am getting a little frustrated, I've own several cars in my lifetime, I understand things break, but anytime I have ever had to have warranty work done, they (Honda, Acura, and Cadillac) have always provided me with a loaner or rental. Long story short, I call GM, they open a case and escalate it. They offer to cover the rental for 48hrs (they will only cover a GM rented vehicle) until the case manager can get back to me with how they want to proceed if it all. This is the first time I have ever had this kind of experience. Do I have a recourse? Any options I am missing?
Hi. Just read your post and I’m in the same position right now. My car is at dealership and I am driving an equinox at the moment. The part I need hasn’t come in yet since last Friday. Have you gotten your part and is everything good now? Fingers are crossed 🤞

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Hi. Just read your post and I’m in the same position right now. My car is at dealership and I am driving an equinox at the moment. The part I need hasn’t come in yet since last Friday. Have you gotten your part and is everything good now? Fingers are crossed 🤞
That was June of 2019 and they have not returned to this site since July of 2019. Good luck with your car.

Angie682

Buick Ownership
Encore
The turbo went out on my 2016 Encore last July at 40k miles. It has been maintained regularly. It took 3 weeks to fix. I brought it home and it immediately leaked oil all over my driveway as soon as I got home. The dealer picked it up. Everything seemed ok for awhile after their second attempt at fixing it.

A year to the day (seriously) all of the coolant leaked out the car in the garage. Car had to be towed to dealer yesterday. No telling what is wrong with it now....

I am getting rid of this junker. My extended warranty is up in 300 miles. This car is an unreliable money pit.

G-479666

According to the paperwork I received when I picked up my car, it says, "Turbocharger failure. Compressor air intake turbocharger replacement".

Then on the other page, it says, "Accelerated to wide open throttle. Found turbo wastegate actuation rod only moves slightly, compared to a like vehicle, and did not move as a known good vehicle".

I don't trust this car. Thinking of trading it in.

Has anyone driven an Encore over 100,000 miles and have good stories to share?
I have a 2013 Buick Encore. Only 57,000 miles on it. Today my Engine light came on. Took it to Auto Zone for them to hook it up to their computer. It said Turbo Charger bad. Now tomorrow I have to take it to the Buick dealer. I was told Turbo Chargers are suppose to last at least 150,000 miles. Anyone know anything about Turbo Chargers?

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
What was the code? If it was P0299 it more than likely isn't a bad turbo be just a leak.

Also if your vehicle isn't under warranty why bring it to the dealer? Your local father/son garage is cheaper and probably just as knowledgeable and they won't try to oversell.

Last edited:

Angie682

Buick Ownership
Encore
Due yourself a favor and trade it in. This engine will not withstand highway speed commuting. I have a 2016. First turbo will blow. Then vacuum seals. Then premature timing chain replacement. $3500 goes puff For me just past the power train warranty. Call Buick care and watch them yawn at you. I have spent 5 times $ on engine repair on this POS in last 10k than all the other 1M miles put on all other cars I have driven. Great car. Awful engine if you use the turbo at all
Just sold my 2016 Encore yesterday to CarMax for 15k! One of the happiest days of my life. So glad to be rid of this piece of junk!!! I hope the next owner buys the extended warranty. They will need it.

Bought the car new and have had nothing but problems with it, would randomly not start, had to replace battery 2x in the first two years, weird electrical issues, issues with backup camera, turbocharger and all lines had to be replaced at 40k miles, car lost all coolant, water pump had to be replaced, car has problems accelerating on the highway. The car has 50k miles on it. The worst vehicle I have owned in 30 years. It has been well maintained and never in an accident.

It was only worth 9k a year ago. Glad to take the $$$ and run away from this car.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners