• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Buick Regal TourX Disable Auto Stop

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I just saw it for the first time while I was waiting at the dealership this morning. Two wires and a small module with a couple of screws seems easy enough. It’s about the same as installing a fuse block or circuit breaker for an amplifier.
I'm sure it isn't too bad. I only have experience with the the smart-start-stop install. It is inline to the hood switch, pretty easy to install. I had one for the trial period but didn't like the way it changed the remote start so I sent it back, that was my only issue with it.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
I'm sure it isn't too bad. I only have experience with the the smart-start-stop install. It is inline to the hood switch, pretty easy to install. I had one for the trial period but didn't like the way it changed the remote start so I sent it back, that was my only issue with it.

Both devices tie in to the pin switch, but I’m guessing the two wires going to the battery make the difference in how remote start is affected. If it doesn’t work as advertised I will send it back for a refund.

eccs19

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal & 2018 Regal
Yeah, it's the parking that's a big PIA for me.
I wonder if different regions have the auto stop tuned differently depending on emission standards. I have never had this happen to me. Hell, I'll get to the first set of lights, the auto stop kicks in, and usually won't kick in at the next set of lights. I've definately never had it happen (especially multiple times) while parking. I could definately see why one would want to disable it under those conditions.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Buick Ownership
New Tourx Owner
The Range Tech works great in my 2018 Tourx red needle

Scott in PA

Beaver Falls, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thought that also made the reverse lamps to stay on after ignition off? :unsure:
Not on mine....

Today I replaced the fog lamp bulbs with LED's, too. I use LasFit Switchbacks, allowing you to have either white and/or amber fog lights, depending on the need at the time.. This is the 4th vehicle I have put them in and they are one of the best upgrades you can do to any car.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
Nevermind… just ignore the post below. The seller put the parts for Start/Stop Override in a Camera Interface box. I went back and looked at my order and the picture for the listing looked exactly like the box I received. Whew! Crisis cancel.

OK this is getting really irritating! Does this kinda stuff happen to anyone else? First I had a shady vendor send me the wrong USB module and I ended up having to file a PayPal claim to get my money back. Now some brainiac sends me a Vehicle Camera Interface instead of an Auto Start/Stop Override module. Somebody put a sticker for Start/Stop Override on a Camera Interface box.

I was already annoyed because the hurricane delayed shipment by a week. Customer service is dead.

E458D96B-F78F-4F3A-A483-DD8A4E6E6091.jpeg
A5E41887-03D8-4D5D-9025-4F552E10753C.jpeg

Last edited:

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I went ahead and ordered the Axxess Auto Start/Stop Override Interface for GM 2016-2019 this morning. The 2017-2018 Regal is on the compatibility list, so I felt comfortable that it will work. Description says it keeps it disabled even after you turn off the key.

The Axxess part number is AXSSO-GM and the MSRP is $186.00. I was able to get it from a Walmart 3rd party vendor for $109.00 with free shipping. It should be delivered by 8/31. I'll report back after I get it installed.

The Installation Instructions and Product Info sheet are attached.

**Note: The 2019 Regal is also on the compatibility list, but you have to use a different harness. It appears that harness is included.
YES!!! Auto Start/Stop has been disabled! The Axxess AXSSO-GM worked like a champ! Installation was pretty straight forward and ended up taking me about 2.5 hours. The hardest part was finding a good place to mount the little plastic module on the wiring harness and I took some extra time to shorten the wires going to the battery. I also changed out the ring connectors and added some heat shrink. Pictures and description are below.

This is where you tap into the hood pin switch with the wiring harness in the kit. The connectors fit nice and tight and lock into place as if they were OEM.

9FD9D7CA-6DED-4543-A31B-5C6C8C5146B5.jpeg

Next, I routed the harness along the front of the engine bay and underneath the support bracket with the rubber hood rest. I mounted the SSO module to that same bracket. I removed the 10mm bolt holding down the bracket and lifted it up, so I could drill a hole for the module. I used a #6 stainless machine screw with a flat and lock washer. (The module has two holes for mounting, but one screw is really all that is needed)

288C9F56-D1AA-4BC7-844D-BD6F08EA5488.jpeg

I continued routing the wire along the existing cables and fastened them down with zip ties. This is where I modified the length of the wires, so I could have the inline fuse in a convenient location. I also made the wires just long enough to reach the lugs on each battery terminal.

003E26AE-5791-4226-B974-D590ED8BDB36.jpeg

Here you can see how I routed both wires to the battery terminals. The yellow wire is routed along the same path as the existing red wire and fastened down to the 10mm lug on top.

3E36BD7E-A24F-468F-A6AB-42635EA4CEC5.jpeg
And that’s it! Simple, clean, and functional. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. This is probably one of the cheapest DIY mods for disabling your ASS.

Scott in PA

Beaver Falls, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
All I did was replace my backup bulbs with Lasfit LED's and my ASS quit all on its own. Even the dealer can't explain why!

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Have you heard of anyone else who has had the same experience
I've read of this happening to others (not sure if on here or the Facebook group).

I believe the leading theory is that the LED bulbs alter the circuit enough so that the car thinks there is a problem and shuts down ASS as a precaution. This doesn't happen with all LED brand bulbs in that position.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
I've read of this happening to others (not sure if on here or the Facebook group).

I believe the leading theory is that the LED bulbs alter the circuit enough so that the car thinks there is a problem and shuts down ASS as a precaution. This doesn't happen with all LED brand bulbs in that position.
that's what I thought too - makes me wonder what else the car might do in response to thinking there's a problem

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
I hate to sound like a broken record, but after reviewing all the options to disable my ASS, I always come back to the free one... just let the car do what it does and not worry about it. I'd rather spend the money towards buying a car battery sooner rather than later.
I think I'm like you in that regard but I can also see why some people want to change it. I don't mind it normally except for parking is annoying.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I think I'm like you in that regard but I can also see why some people want to change it. I don't mind it normally except for parking is annoying.
I think we can all make the decision for ourselves based upon the conditions in which we drive and/or how annoying it is. For me, saving $100 on the cost of a $200 battery is not enough of an incentive to let my ASS continue to annoy me.

I live in a city where traffic congestion is routine. The Interstate is stop and go for miles during morning and evening rush hour, and surface streets are just as bad if not worse. Leaving my house 10-15 minutes late in the morning will easily turn my 13 mile commute from a 20-minute trip to a 45-minute trip. If there happens to be an accident that time can easily double. Just last week an accident, which occurred at 4:45 PM on the Interstate and closed two lanes, turned my evening commute into a 1 hour and 45 minute stop and go nightmare. I wasn’t even on the Interstate.

You can see what I’m getting at. In a case like that shifting to Manual is the best option, but for regular everyday traffic my ASS gets engaged way too many times. Like others, I also get annoyed when pulling into the carport and my ASS engages when I try to inch forward a bit.

I won’t miss the $109 I spent on the ASS Override module.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
I think we can all make the decision for ourselves based upon the conditions in which we drive and/or how annoying it is. For me, saving $100 on the cost of a $200 battery is not enough of an incentive to let my ASS continue to annoy me.

I live in a city where traffic congestion is routine. The Interstate is stop and go for miles during morning and evening rush hour, and surface streets are just as bad if not worse. Leaving my house 10-15 minutes late in the morning will easily turn my 13 mile commute from a 20-minute trip to a 45-minute trip. If there happens to be an accident that time can easily double. Just last week an accident, which occurred at 4:45 PM on the Interstate and closed two lanes, turned my evening commute into a 1 hour and 45 minute stop and go nightmare. I wasn’t even on the Interstate.

You can see what I’m getting at. In a case like that shifting to Manual is the best option, but for regular everyday traffic my ASS gets engaged way too many times. Like others, I also get annoyed when pulling into the carport and my ASS engages when I try to inch forward a bit.

I won’t miss the $109 I spent on the ASS Override module.
I absolutely don’t have any of these issues because I
1. Live in the middle of nowhere where stop and go traffic never happens - but I used to live in Chicagoland and am so thankful I moved away
2. No longer have a commute (changed roles…then eventually retired)
3. Got used to a Chevy Volt which has a mind of its own when you have a depleted battery. Sometimes you are at a stoplight with total silence, sometimes you get wide open throttle.
4. I really like my ASS.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners