• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Custom Bose Bypass Harness

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
I’ve decided on the Axxess AX-DSPX-MOST1. The PAC unit only has a few DSP adjustments as compared to the NavTV and Axxess units. The Axxess does not have TOSLINK or S/PDIF, but because of my desire to keep the factory fade/balance controls I will use RCA outputs. That would also apply on the NavTV. Obviously the Axxess pricing is more reasonable. Like the NavTV it communicates with the MOST bus. I like the tuning app for the Axxess too.

The DSPX will get me to the same exact point as the NavTV and for much cheaper. It’s pretty much a no brainer.

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Yeah I think it's for everything not music, so onstar, navigation, phone calls. Pretty Important to keep that speaker and the NavTv gives you an output for it
When considering the NavTV unit, the fun part is finding a low power single channel amp or really small 2 channel amp that can be bridged (or run just one channel) to play the center channel. Don't need a bunch of power or frequency range to reproduce Onstar, Nav or phone call audio.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had a kappa 12 for years powered by a no name 1000 watt amp in a custom sealed box that measured out around .85cu ft or so. Little undersized. Absolutely loved that sub! It was in 2 different cars before I sold it. So are you putting the sub in the spare tire well then? Everything staying hidden?

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
When considering the NavTV unit, the fun part is finding a low power single channel amp or really small 2 channel amp that can be bridged (or run just one channel) to play the center channel. Don't need a bunch of power or frequency range to reproduce Onstar, Nav or phone call audio.
That's precisely why I want the miniDSP Harmony 8x12. It's 12 channels of 40 watts at 4-ohm and 6 channels of 90 watts at 2-ohm, plus it's one fine DSP. Comes with the Dirac Live plugin too. Retail is $1049 and well worth it IMO. My previous setup was a Fosgate 3Sixty.3 DSP, a 4-channel JL amp, a Kappa monoblock and I was still short something to power the center channel. By going with the Harmony I only have to install two devices in the trunk. The other way would have been 3 or 4 devices.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I had a kappa 12 for years powered by a no name 1000 watt amp in a custom sealed box that measured out around .85cu ft or so. Little undersized. Absolutely loved that sub! It was in 2 different cars before I sold it. So are you putting the sub in the spare tire well then? Everything staying hidden?
No. I will be getting a real spare, jack, and lug wrench for the spare tire well. I'm starting with one Kappa 10" and if I like it I will get at least one more, maybe two. Three 10's in that hatch will SLAM!!

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I’m going to change out the USB module in my center console, so I can have additional connectivity options and connect more than one device at a time. I ordered a genuine GM part and I also purchased a slightly different module on eBay. Not sure if the eBay module will work, but I’m only out $11 if it doesn’t.

Here’s the genuine GM module, part number 13519246, which I purchased from OEM Part Source. As you can see it has two USB ports and a 3.5mm audio jack.

And here’s the module I purchased from eBay. It’s GM part number 22990883 and it was supposedly pulled from an OEM center console that was never installed.

1628965293178.jpeg
I really hope this one works because I’d rather use the SD Card slot for music.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
I’m going to change out the USB module in my center console, so I can have additional connectivity options and connect more than one device at a time. I ordered a genuine GM part and I also purchased a slightly different module on eBay. Not sure if the eBay module will work, but I’m only out $11 if it doesn’t.

Here’s the genuine GM module, part number 13519246, which I purchased from OEM Part Source. As you can see it has two USB ports and a 3.5mm audio jack.

And here’s the module I purchased from eBay. It’s GM part number 22990883 and it was supposedly pulled from an OEM center console that was never installed.

View attachment 32486
I really hope this one works because I’d rather use the SD Card slot for music.
In my TourX I think that Sd slot is used for the built-in NAV system. I’m not sure if you can use it for music on an SD card but maybe. The other option is to stick an SD card reader into a USB port. Also, I wonder if some sort of AUx to USB adapter might work. For computers they make all sorts of hardware that allows you to convert analog to digital, including guitars, line in, etc. This] also makes me wonder if a small hard drive or SSD might also work.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
In my TourX I think that Sd slot is used for the built-in NAV system. I’m not sure if you can use it for music on an SD card but maybe. The other option is to stick an SD card reader into a USB port. Also, I wonder if some sort of AUx to USB adapter might work. For computers they make all sorts of hardware that allows you to convert analog to digital, including guitars, line in, etc. This] also makes me wonder if a small hard drive or SSD might also work.
The Infotainment System user manual actually says you can use a hard drive. Let me find it and I’ll post it.

There’s also another USB module that has USB A, USB C, and 3.5mm audio.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I knew I had seen it somewhere. It wasn’t in the Infotainment user manual. It’s in the “Getting to Know Your 2018 Regal Sportback“ guide.

3E239D20-E0FD-4318-AC1F-7984AF47E3BE.jpeg
I uploaded the full guide to my pCloud if you want to download it.

Download the Getting to Know Your 2018 Regal Sportback guide.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the confirmation. So back to your topic, if you are lucky the pin outs are identical between your old and new part and everything just works. On the other hand, it’s also possible they did some stupid engineering so these parts are not interchangeable. Only one way to find out… thank you for doing this in the interest of science.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the confirmation. So back to your topic, if you are lucky the pin outs are identical between your old and new part and everything just works. On the other hand, it’s also possible they did some stupid engineering so these parts are not interchangeable. Only one way to find out… thank you for doing this in the interest of science.
I may have to splice in a different connector, which is also sold on eBay. I don’t understand why GM didn’t just use the same USB module for all trim levels. Probably so they could charge suckers like me $30 for an extra USB port and a 3.5mm jack.

It‘s almost as dumb as making the sunglasses storage compartment a preferred option. Or putting heated and cooled seats in two separate comfort groups.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
I may have to splice in a different connector, which is also sold on eBay. I don’t understand why GM didn’t just use the same USB module for all trim levels. Probably so they could charge suckers like me $30 for an extra USB port and a 3.5mm jack.

It‘s almost as dumb as making the sunglasses storage compartment a preferred option. Or putting heated and cooled seats in two separate comfort groups.
Here is my volt in chameleon. Watch how it color shifts from turquoise to purple in the sun.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I swapped out the USB module in my console last night and ended up with mixed results. First off, the replacement module I bought is pretty much plug-and-play. It has the same connectors, but they're in different positions. If you pull the two cables out a bit and give yourself some slack, they're easy to plug in.

I could not get the 3.5mm jack to work. I was using my iPhone X with the lightning-to-audio connector as a source. I'm assuming there's no issue using that adapter. Can anyone else confirm? I didn't have another audio device to test. Both of the USB ports on the replacement module will charge my iPhone and allow me to play music with the Intellilink audio player, but I couldn't get CarPlay to work at all. It wouldn't even initialize. Normally the "Projector" icon will change to CarPlay. That didn't happen.

As for the SD Card slot, I'll have to get back to you. I didn't have one to try. As soon as I get back to the office I'm going to find one and I'll try it tonight. I'm fairly sure it will work.

Anyone have any thoughts about the 3.5mm audio jack or CarPlay? It makes absolutely no sense that it would charge my phone, but not run CarPlay. The 3.5mm jack could be a wiring issue, requiring me to splice in a different harness. The connector on the bottom of the module only has two wires; a red and a black. Seems like it would need four wires to do stereo audio. You need a signal and a shield for each channel, right? If someone with a working 3.5mm jack would be willing to pull their USB module out and check it would be most helpful.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
I swapped out the USB module in my console last night and ended up with mixed results. First off, the replacement module I bought is pretty much plug-and-play. It has the same connectors, but they're in different positions. If you pull the two cables out a bit and give yourself some slack, they're easy to plug in.

I could not get the 3.5mm jack to work. I was using my iPhone X with the lightning-to-audio connector as a source. I'm assuming there's no issue using that adapter. Can anyone else confirm? I didn't have another audio device to test. Both of the USB ports on the replacement module will charge my iPhone and allow me to play music with the Intellilink audio player, but I couldn't get CarPlay to work at all. It wouldn't even initialize. Normally the "Projector" icon will change to CarPlay. That didn't happen.

As for the SD Card slot, I'll have to get back to you. I didn't have one to try. As soon as I get back to the office I'm going to find one and I'll try it tonight. I'm fairly sure it will work.

Anyone have any thoughts about the 3.5mm audio jack or CarPlay? It makes absolutely no sense that it would charge my phone, but not run CarPlay. The 3.5mm jack could be a wiring issue, requiring me to splice in a different harness. The connector on the bottom of the module only has two wires; a red and a black. Seems like it would need four wires to do stereo audio. You need a signal and a shield for each channel, right? If someone with a working 3.5mm jack would be willing to pull their USB module out and check it would be most helpful.
I can try. Where do I pry to release the tabs holding this stuff in? I'll look at the pic that you previously posted to see if I can tell.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I can try. Where do I pry to release the tabs holding this stuff in? I'll look at the pic that you previously posted to see if I can tell.
I used one of the trim removal tools from my kit, but you just need something thin to slip underneath the top of the module on both of the short sides. When you get it in there just press inward and kinda pry up on it and it will release the tab and that side of the module will separate. Then do the other side. It doesn't take much pressure.

It's kinda cramped because the console lid gets in the way while you're trying to work. You'll see.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
The other USB module I ordered arrived today, so I’ll try it tonight as well. This one should work because it’s listed as being compatible with the 2018 Regal.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
The other USB module I ordered arrived today, so I’ll try it tonight as well. This one should work because it’s listed as being compatible with the 2018 Regal.
The vendor sent me the wrong part and I had to start a PayPal claim and hopefully get a refund for the $44.50 I paid them. I ordered a module with two USB ports and a 3.5mm audio jack and they sent me a module with a single USB port. They had me agree before the purchase that I could not return the part, but that was assuming they shipped me the right one. I've had a string of bad luck with online vendors this year. We'll see what happens.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
The vendor sent me the wrong part and I had to start a PayPal claim and hopefully get a refund for the $44.50 I paid them. I ordered a module with two USB ports and a 3.5mm audio jack and they sent me a module with a single USB port. They had me agree before the purchase that I could not return the part, but that was assuming they shipped me the right one. I've had a string of bad luck with online vendors this year. We'll see what happens.
I’ve stopped buying things from PayPal and EBay because of a $200+ purchase I made long ago that went bad. PayPal wouldn’t return my money so they’ve lost me as a customer for life. Similar rule in place for Amazon for a different issue. I paid full price for my cargo rail from a GM parts seller rather than the heavily discounted prices on eBay just because of this.

Good luck with your claim.

By the way, I tried to pull my USB/Aux assembly out and had trouble getting any sort of leverage. Screwdrivers are too long to get under the little pry point and I think I need something with a thin 90 degree angle. I need to look around the house to see if I can find my iPhone try tools.

Last edited:

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Buick Ownership
I’ve stopped buying things from PayPal and EBay because of a $200+ purchase I made long ago that went bad. PayPal wouldn’t return my money so they’ve lost me as a customer for life. Similar rule in place for Amazon for a different issue. I paid full price for my cargo rail from a GM parts seller rather than the heavily discounted prices on eBay just because of this.

Good luck with your claim.

By the way, I tried to pull my USB/Aux assembly out and had trouble getting any sort of leverage. Screwdrivers are too long to get under the little pry point and I think I need something with a thin 90 degree angle. I need to look around the house to see if I can find my iPhone try tools.
The tool I used had a 90 degree head on it, so you’re right about that. If you think you’re gonna be doing some work on the interior in the future, do yourself a favor and get a trim removal kit. Mine cost $11 and it’s already paid for itself 10 times over.

On the claim, we’ll see. Hopefully the vendor will just get right and send me the correct part along with a shipping label for the wrong part. I made two claims with eBay earlier this year and both of them were paid. I’m actually kinda surprised this vendor decided to stunt. They look pretty legit.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners