• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Full Synthetic Oil

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Amazon has Shell Rottella T6 5w-40 for $20 per Gal. Appears to meet mb228.31.
Does your vvehicle have a PF?
I thought this full syn might work for you, if you have no particulate filter on your MB.
Looked like diference in spec was if PF equipped or not, but I am not up on MB's and/or diesels.
PS your first post said 5w-40 then you said something about 0w-40 so not sure which you want.

Last edited:

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Wagon
Ummm, yeah...you mean this stuff M1 0w-40 FS that meets 229.5?

It’s the same stuff at Wally World. Sorry, just admit you’ve been overpaying while the rest of us buy it for $2/qt after rebate. There is no other M1 that meets 229.5, unless you’re getting Formula M that’s dealer only, which is 5w-40.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Ummm, yeah...you mean this stuff M1 0w-40 FS that meets 229.5?

It’s the same stuff at Wally World. Sorry, just admit you’ve been overpaying while the rest of us buy it for $2/qt after rebate. There is no other M1 that meets 229.5, unless you’re getting Formula M that’s dealer only, which is 5w-40.
Well....... perhaps you are right. Have not been reeding the M1 bottles. Because I often pass near that one Mercedes Dealer and because the parts guy sells me the Mercedes Full Synthetic 5w-40, six quart case for less than $40 tax included, I’ll continue using it on my other 2.0T (Turbo) Car.

As long as my Tour-X is in warranty, I’ll use the dealer 5w-30 Dexos 1, Gen 2 (or Dexos 2) at my dealer.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
TourX had first oil change at dealer yesterday. Speaking to the service manager, they only use full synthetic there, and mentioned they got a message from GM or Buick to do so. But he heard some dealerships have not gone to all full synthetic. I don't know the facts first-hand, but that is my experience - would be interested to hear what other dealerships say.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Well....... perhaps you are right. Have not been reeding the M1 bottles. Because I often pass near that one Mercedes Dealer and because the parts guy sells me the Mercedes Full Synthetic 5w-40, six quart case for less than $40 tax included, I’ll continue using it on my other 2.0T (Turbo) Car.

As long as my Tour-X is in warranty, I’ll use the dealer 5w-30 Dexos 1, Gen 2 (or Dexos 2) at my dealer.
Someone who pays almost $7 for a quart of oil that meets same spec as Mobil1 for $2 after rebate, is one smart guy.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Mobil 1 Rebates at Participating Retailers | Mobil™

Just read the T&Cs

Apparently you can get up to 4 jugs under rebate. Cool! I only did one. It's time to 3 more 0-40W. If it works in ny Cobra, should work in most any gas auto engine just fine. I think the 5 Car jug say euro formula. I need to read fine print.
I am not fan of Mobil1 filters since always used AC Delco. But when I saw they had $5 rebate and walmart.com was selling then for my higher performance GM Turbo 2.0 reduced to $4.25, it was a no brainer. Even if they have something in fine print I can not pay less then rebate, the Coupe might like Mobil1 filter for a year or a few miles.

Last edited:

TourREX owner

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick TourX Essence
A couple weeks ago, someone on this forum, a Buick dealership employee, posted that all Buick/GMC dealers are now using only full Synthetic AC Delco oil. No Synthetic blends.

A couple months ago, I spoke with one of the guys in the back of the building where the bulk oil is stored. He has no ax to grind. Said that a GM AC/Delco truck comes in to fill the tanks. Did not think to ask if they fill with only Full Synthetic or Synthetic Blend, or regular oil for that matter. Visiting dealer Monday or Tuesday and will ask the guys in the back again.

Hey, Buick Dealer employee. Tell us again. Are dealers only using Full Synthetic AC Delco?
When we purchased new TourX a couple weeks ago, they told us we should be using full Synthetic in our new baby

Pedal Commander