• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

How to swap a TourX to Sportback front bumper

kunfuzion

LB
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX
The tow cover is good to know. I was swearing at my computer about a $40 piece of plastic. Same with the $90 fog light inserts...

My car is in the shop and has been de-cladded. The bumper and rockers have been ordered, but we will see about the delivery timeline. I am going to have to leave the lower cladding on the rear bumper until I can figure out how to handle the replacement. IIRC, you can't remove the cladding and have the exhaust housing remain in place. Eventually, I would love to splurge on the Euro OPC stuff...
Haha I did the same, until I came across the chrome bezels... The fog lights are the same, the surrounding and bezels are diff from the X. The rear is all 1pc, but you can always try to trim it or use the actual Sportback trim like above. But some creativity and massaging is required.

I myself have been lagging on the decladding. The holidays have been busy and I haven't even sent the parts out to be painted yet... Hoping to get to it all at the beginning of the new year.

cabrala

Haha I did the same, until I came across the chrome bezels... The fog lights are the same, the surrounding and bezels are diff from the X. The rear is all 1pc, but you can always try to trim it or use the actual Sportback trim like above. But some creativity and massaging is required.

I myself have been lagging on the decladding. The holidays have been busy and I haven't even sent the parts out to be painted yet... Hoping to get to it all at the beginning of the new year.
It's only because someone hit me that this is all moving so quickly. I'll move a little more slowly on the springs, wheels and rear bumper.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
@cabrala - thanks for posting the parts numbers. I listed them on another thread, but this forum lacks some topic organization which makes things more difficult to locate. I hope you get the approval for the swap!

@kunfuzion - I get it! I drove around for a year with all the wheel arch cladding off - it wasn’t until I was forced to work remotely this past spring that I had more time to devote to this project. I do still have the rear diffuser from the sportback on...in spring I will pull it back down and make it fit better with a little sanding, better adhesive, some heat and finish it off with the exhaust tips :)

Endothrow

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
Just want to say thanks to those on this thread for the info and details on the process. I've had my Sportback bumper installed for several weeks now and got the missing bits and the lower grill modified and installed (I wanted to use the paint color vs. the black plastic for the lower grill. I ran out and snapped these to show an example.
Thanks again. This was super easy in hindsight after I chased on the little parts down.

IMG_5881.jpg
IMG_5880.jpg

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Just want to say thanks to those on this thread for the info and details on the process. I've had my Sportback bumper installed for several weeks now and got the missing bits and the lower grill modified and installed (I wanted to use the paint color vs. the black plastic for the lower grill. I ran out and snapped these to show an example.
Thanks again. This was super easy in hindsight after I chased on the little parts down.

View attachment 27645
View attachment 27646
good stuff!

danzig997

47°40′10″N 122°7′26″W
Buick Ownership
TourX Essence with Opel Insignia DNA.

View attachment 27645
View attachment 27646
I would invest a little $$ and retrofit your car with the original Opel/Vauxhall/Holden grille. It looks that your Vauxhall emblem is a little off center. I sold my OEM Buick grill on eBay for almost what I paid for the Opel grille from Germany.

Endothrow

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
I would invest a little $$ and retrofit your car with the original Opel/Vauxhall/Holden grille. It looks that your Vauxhall emblem is a little off center. I sold my OEM Buick grill on eBay for almost what I paid for the Opel grille from Germany.
Totally on my list. I have ACC so I was holding off on that swap. What I do now is just pop out that emblem for road trips so that I have radar. Slots back in easily, but I have to position it 100% straight, as you noticed that it is off from the picture.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
Any finished pics of the rear bumper with exhaust installed?

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Any finished pics of the rear bumper with exhaust installed?
I am going to wait until spring to finish this up. Unfortunately the temp is too cold here to optimize the double stick tape. FWIW the sportback diffuser is holding up ok - the tape has failed on one of the reflectors (which I just removed for fear of losing it) and it looks a bit unfinished. Once I get a warm weather spell (which won’t realistically be until May given I live in WI), I plan to pull the diffuser back down, clean it up and tweak it a bit - then reinstall everything.

cabrala

I do want to provide an update on my project here. I got the car back yesterday (1/13/21) with the Sportback bumper and GS side skirts. I am quite happy with the start. Still in the pipeline are the following:

OPC Line front spoiler that I am working to source from Poland
Exhaust housing cover to finish cladding removal
Rear bumper spoilers to blend rockers into rear end
Wheels

PXL_20210113_212453169.jpg PXL_20210113_212506519.jpg PXL_20210113_212525457.jpg PXL_20210113_212534885.jpg

H0onz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal sportback
It's been over a year since I started looking for a Sportback front bumper in Rioja Red - and I finally landed one for $700 (they don't come up often). It included all the foglight trim, one (of two) front molding pieces, the upper and lower absorbers and the impact bar. The paint has some scratches - but a good workover with the claybar and polisher should clean up most of it. I have put together a how to guide with some pics - I know a video would be better, but both my camera holders (eg my kids) weren't around today, and I had the time. So, pardon the old school forum technique.

1. Remove (3x) T-15 in each wheel well liner. Note - turn your wheel to opposite lock for best clearance. You do not need to remove the retainer clip in the top center wheel well (directly above the tire) - the liner will flex with enough clearance.
View attachment 23907
2. Peel the liner back and use a small extension to remove the vertically aligned 10mm aluminum screw In the top corner behind the wheel well liner - directly behind where the metal and plastic bumper meet.
View attachment 23906
10mm aluminum screw as follows:
View attachment 23908
3. Once the 10mm screws are removed, you should be able to pull the bumper away from the fender - start at the rear most edge (against the wheel) and pull gently away from the fender. NOTE: there are three total tabs connecting the bumper to the fender - the rear tab is held by the screw, the middle tab should come out easy and the furthest forward tab will likely break. If you want to prevent breakage, you will need to loosen the 10mm nuts that attach the plastic bumper bracket to the fender (you will need an extender). Pic of the bumper bracket as follows:
View attachment 23909
Damage to the furthest forward tab as follows:
View attachment 23910
4. Open the hood and locate the (4x) T-20 screws across the fairing and remove. Once these are removed, you should be able to start pulling the bumper off the top - as seen below:
View attachment 23911
5. Now it's time for the underneath bits - I used the ever popular 13,000 pound limit plastic ramps from Harbor Freight ($45) which work really well - but obviously this step could be optional. If you do elevate the car, don't forget to chock that back wheel (sorry - I'm a Dad and am now required to say these things).
View attachment 23914
6. Now is a good time to find a sturdy box (10"-14" high) to set dead center in front of the bumper. You will need this to set the bumper on so you can disconnect the harness.
7. Remove the (7x) 7mm screws going across the rear most part of the splash shield. Once you loosen them you will feel the bumper pulling loose. Note there are two outliers (one seen below) and five in an even row across the rear of the splash shield.
View attachment 23915
8. You can now pull the bumper free and rest it on the box.
View attachment 23916
...this concludes this part...see next post for next steps...
It's been over a year since I started looking for a Sportback front bumper in Rioja Red - and I finally landed one for $700 (they don't come up often). It included all the foglight trim, one (of two) front molding pieces, the upper and lower absorbers and the impact bar. The paint has some scratches - but a good workover with the claybar and polisher should clean up most of it. I have put together a how to guide with some pics - I know a video would be better, but both my camera holders (eg my kids) weren't around today, and I had the time. So, pardon the old school forum technique.

1. Remove (3x) T-15 in each wheel well liner. Note - turn your wheel to opposite lock for best clearance. You do not need to remove the retainer clip in the top center wheel well (directly above the tire) - the liner will flex with enough clearance.
View attachment 23907
2. Peel the liner back and use a small extension to remove the vertically aligned 10mm aluminum screw In the top corner behind the wheel well liner - directly behind where the metal and plastic bumper meet.
View attachment 23906
10mm aluminum screw as follows:
View attachment 23908
3. Once the 10mm screws are removed, you should be able to pull the bumper away from the fender - start at the rear most edge (against the wheel) and pull gently away from the fender. NOTE: there are three total tabs connecting the bumper to the fender - the rear tab is held by the screw, the middle tab should come out easy and the furthest forward tab will likely break. If you want to prevent breakage, you will need to loosen the 10mm nuts that attach the plastic bumper bracket to the fender (you will need an extender). Pic of the bumper bracket as follows:
View attachment 23909
Damage to the furthest forward tab as follows:
View attachment 23910
4. Open the hood and locate the (4x) T-20 screws across the fairing and remove. Once these are removed, you should be able to start pulling the bumper off the top - as seen below:
View attachment 23911
5. Now it's time for the underneath bits - I used the ever popular 13,000 pound limit plastic ramps from Harbor Freight ($45) which work really well - but obviously this step could be optional. If you do elevate the car, don't forget to chock that back wheel (sorry - I'm a Dad and am now required to say these things).
View attachment 23914
6. Now is a good time to find a sturdy box (10"-14" high) to set dead center in front of the bumper. You will need this to set the bumper on so you can disconnect the harness.
7. Remove the (7x) 7mm screws going across the rear most part of the splash shield. Once you loosen them you will feel the bumper pulling loose. Note there are two outliers (one seen below) and five in an even row across the rear of the splash shield.
View attachment 23915
8. You can now pull the bumper free and rest it on the box.
View attachment 23916
...this concludes this part...see next post for next steps...
Do you think the regal gs bumper would fit on the regular sportback along with the side skirts??

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Do you think the regal gs bumper would fit on the regular sportback along with the side skirts??
I think the side skirts on a Sportback you might have a problem. There are a series of metal posts on the TourX and GS that are part of the rocker panel that secure the either the GS skirt or the TourX cladding.

Iansignia

UK
Buick Ownership
TourX
Great thread, and it was the Fr bumper walkthrough that took me here....
I have just done the reverse and turned a UK GSI wagon into a TourX...WHAT!! I hear you ask......
Over here the GS(I) wagon has the full 4x4 spec.. Brembo's, Sports heated & fan cooled Seats, heated windscreen 3D Dash, etc etc, however they only sold about 150 TourX ( Country Tourer's) here at a lower spec so thats why the reverse was necessery when you live off the grid and want the best of both...
Those GM guys in Germany must love shipping all that Euro spec stuff out to the US.... and I agree the unclad / lower / bigger wheels clean spec is a nicer setup as the car its self is a winner...
Enjoy the ride.

danzig997

47°40′10″N 122°7′26″W
Buick Ownership
I ordered a brand new GS bumper from my local GM dealer (Bumper Cover 39144692 With gs, cover & trim. $342.51). When it comes to used parts of this size you are dealing with 2 factors:

1. Very expensive Shipping/Freight
2. Many used parts come damaged during freight or they already had some preexisting damage. You will need to pay someone or fix yourself these damages/blemishes. A used part will cost you more than a brand new bumper cover from a dealer.

When it comes to Trim Bezels (items 3 and 4 LH RH), I got them from China, OEM copies for $80 for both sides.

1620763078767.png
When

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Does anybody have any tips on how to find a used front bumper cover?
car parts.com is a search engine for parts yards - it will find the parts from various places...emailing via this portal might as well be a black hole - instead call some of the yards direct (usually their phone number is listed). Most times you will get a hold of someone who can help you pretty quickly. I generally agree with @danzig997 comments - I lucked out that I found one in good condition (but definitely not perfect) and had most of the trim pieces intact (was missing one trim piece). I estimated I saved over $600 overall buying the used part vs new - but that is because it was my existing color AND I was willing to live with a few nicks and no respray. If this isn’t acceptable to you, just buy new.

danzig997

47°40′10″N 122°7′26″W
Buick Ownership
car parts.com is a search engine for parts yards - it will find the parts from various places...emailing via this portal might as well be a black hole - instead call some of the yards direct (usually their phone number is listed). Most times you will get a hold of someone who can help you pretty quickly. I generally agree with @danzig997 comments - I lucked out that I found one in good condition (but definitely not perfect) and had most of the trim pieces intact (was missing one trim piece). I estimated I saved over $600 overall buying the used part vs new - but that is because it was my existing color AND I was willing to live with a few nicks and no respray. If this isn’t acceptable to you, just buy new.
Matching color used parts provide definitely an advantage. It cost around $300 to paint the front bumper with quality materials. LKQ is another great resource for used parts Used Car Parts Locator Used Auto Truck Salvage Yards

1620767672559.png

06SRMGTO

I ordered a brand new GS bumper from my local GM dealer (Bumper Cover 39144692 With gs, cover & trim. $342.51). When it comes to used parts of this size you are dealing with 2 factors:

1. Very expensive Shipping/Freight
2. Many used parts come damaged during freight or they already had some preexisting damage. You will need to pay someone or fix yourself these damages/blemishes. A used part will cost you more than a brand new bumper cover from a dealer.

When it comes to Trim Bezels (items 3 and 4 LH RH), I got them from China, OEM copies for $80 for both sides.

View attachment 30596
When
As someone who is starting to collect the parts necessary for the GS front bumper and side skirt conversion I have a couple questions. I know the tow cover comes with the bumper cover. Do I also need to order the lower molding (39078740), #5 in the picture? Sorry if this has been clarified before, just trying to get everything straight.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners