• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

In-Cabin Air Filter Replacement

FiftysLost

Florida
Buick Ownership
Buick 2010 Lacrosse CXL
Thank FiftysLost, I'll check that when I get a chance. So what's the point of pulling off that end cover? Just to unclick the tab? The directions do say to "remove the screw affixed to the side of the glove box", is that an error? That torx screw was the only one I noticed in there.

*** EDIT. I think you're right about the torx screw. It seems pretty much impossible to reach from the angle I show in the pics. I guess next step is undoing the screws with metric heads and undoing that plastic clip and seeing how that works out. Car is gone at the moment so maybe I can give it a shot this weekend some time.
Yes the only reason to take the end cap off is to release that tab. Also note there are two hidden clips at the top of the glove box (one one each end) That will require a little tug to pull the whole unit out after removing the 5 hex head screws. The only problem I had was I couldn't figure out how to release the socket for the two wires. I was able to wrestle the filter in anyhow. Maybe someone can post how to disconnect it. Another thing I always do is put a light coat of grease on the clips to make the next time easier.

Last edited:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
I did get as far as removing the (5) 7mm hex-head screws and yanking down. As you mentioned it is a body blasting piece of contortion. I've decided not to continue this project. I'm not above admitting that my time is more valuable than this. It's a shame where they buried this filter, but they win. I'll just pay the service dept. to have it replaced. It's sad to say but this just isn't worth the amount of effort (to me) to save $20 :(

Appreciate everyone's help. Kudos if you're able to work this into your maintenance routine!

FiftysLost

Florida
Buick Ownership
Buick 2010 Lacrosse CXL
I did get as far as removing the (5) 7mm hex-head screws and yanking down. As you mentioned it is a body blasting piece of contortion. I've decided not to continue this project. I'm not above admitting that my time is more valuable than this. It's a shame where they buried this filter, but they win. I'll just pay the service dept. to have it replaced. It's sad to say but this just isn't worth the amount of effort (to me) to save $20 :(

Appreciate everyone's help. Kudos if you're able to work this into your maintenance routine!
I read somewhere that you pull down on the unit but in fact you pull it towards you away from the dash.

AK Goat

4.6L Northstar Member
Buick Ownership
Verano Premium
Yeah.... I just looked at my receipt from the local Buick dealer: they charged me $11.00 to install the filter. Not worth my time to mess with it. Lol. I like doing my own maintenance to a degree, especially oil changes, air filters, and tire rotation. But I think I'll leave the cabin filter to the guys with the tools and who know the tricks.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
This was dead-simple to perform using all the info in this thread. Total time was probably 10-12 minutes.
GM filter via Amazon made noticeable increase to HVAC air flow.
First cabin filter change at 30,000 miles has me guessing I should replace every 10K miles (or once a year).
Wife did not notice poor airflow until AFTER filter replacement and then she was like "wow, that's so much better".

insurman33

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse CXS
Ah for the wife's Lesabre.
Pop the hood.
Go to the fire wall and open the cover.
Slide out the old filter and slide in the new cabin filter.
Close the cover and put down the hood.
Ah the old days and American design! lol!

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
I just bought 4 cabin filters ($11.53 each) & 2 engine filters ($16.27 each) from RockAuto [Invoice]. Yes, there is shipping ($11.82 to my address & it looks like you can add even more filters before the cost goes up if you wanted to). Use [RetailMeNot] discount code 107703168845393 for 5% off- stick it in the 'How Did You Hear About Us?' box. Make sure you hit 'Apply'. Maintenance Schedule [Pic] recommends 22,500 miles on the cabin filter changes and 45,000 miles on the engine filter changes (sorry deleted kilometers back when I saved the image). If they need changing sooner so be it, but I should be good up til 90,000 miles. The service guy already uses my oil & filter might as well throw these into the mix too.

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
6 ACDelco filters (4 cabin, 2 engine) delivered for $86 bucks, not too shabby!

GolfingDuo

Central Massachusetts
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
I have no idea if the filter has been replaced in my car so I just ordered a replacement. I expect it to arrive early next week and will replace it as soon as I can. I've got 25,000 now since I got it at 19,000 two months ago I cannnot tell if I need it or not. No harm replacing it at 15 bucks.

InfiniteImp

Toronto, ON
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2015 Infiniti Q50 AWD Sport Hybrid
good deal, a benefit of living in the States
eBay is a good source for that stuff. I just ordered 2 cabin filters (used up my last one this past week) for $15/each after shipping. Seems about on par with what US buyers pay given GolfingDuo's post above.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
eBay is a good source for that stuff. I just ordered 2 cabin filters (used up my last one this past week) for $15/each after shipping. Seems about on par with what US buyers pay given GolfingDuo's post above.
are you on the Canadian or US site?

ddcjunkie

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks to you guys I have solved my wife's problem with her LaCrosse. The air can circulate since removal of the plugged filter. I seems that a squirrel had made a home in the heater and had stored a winters worth of acorns. This plugged the filter completely! I had no idea that this had happened until I read your posts and changed the filter. I would post a picture of the filter but don't know how to do that yet. Thanks again.

JoeDo

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano
The instructions I posted above are in both the 2010 & 2011 manual (the 2012 & 2013 say 'see dealer').

Apparently I'm dead simple... can you elaborate on this process?
I had the same problem - couldn't figure out how to change it from the posted images and my '13 had the 'see dealer' instructions in the manual. I searched around google and found this video that shows all the steps: http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2013_Buick_Verano_2.4L_4_Cyl._FlexFuel/air_filter_cabin/replace

BIG ROCCO

PHOENIX, AZ
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
After reading this, I think my cabin filter will be one job I'll cheerfully outsource to my regular mechanic.

Pedal Commander