• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Need help, my 2004 Lesabre shifts hard.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
The clamps imo, are just a selling tool...just make sure tubes on both ends are in and snug. Done.
What do you mean both ends? There is a clip on one side, the other side is interference, the middle 2 sides are clampped to a short section of hose.

Thats 3 points of possible failure that could be from age/wear/fluid and nothing to do with how "tight" they were originally

Snrnd

Buick Ownership
04 LeSabre
If it fails, you will see catastrophic damage most likely.

And mine didnt fail in that it was the thing to give. but im guessing all the granola bits blocked the passage inside and then the pressure shot it off partially, enough it wasnt going to be sealed and regardless if it cleared or not.

The hose breaking down is very possible and mine is very stiff and the clamps arent very strong compared to say, heater core ones.
They get really hot, cycle, and the fluid condition/type can do things to it.

Id say the few dollars at the time of major service is a perfect reasonable investment
I can't seem to find the part to order, though

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)

ACDelco 24243134 Auto Trans Fluid Line​

1652103482888.png
See what I mean now, those crimp barrels being supportive of the hose and wedge it firmly on the piece etc etc

sonnax had their fix for the original part
1652103754936.png

Snrnd

Buick Ownership
04 LeSabre

ACDelco 24243134 Auto Trans Fluid Line​

View attachment 37585
See what I mean now, those crimp barrels being supportive of the hose and wedge it firmly on the piece etc etc

sonnax had their fix for the original part
View attachment 37587
If this is done by simply pulling the old line out and popping the new one in, then sure. The sonnax kit is the same price as the a new line, and seems to be very straightforward. I'd prefer the easier fix out of the two options; less likely for me to ruin something.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
If this is done by simply pulling the old line out and popping the new one in, then sure. The sonnax kit is the same price as the a new line, and seems to be very straightforward. I'd prefer the easier fix out of the two options; less likely for me to ruin something.
have you been under the pan? the clip is pulled away, then you pull out the line then pull it out the other way. then slip in.

The hose is still there on the OE. If you want to get the clamp, go ahead, im just saying its simpler and not stressing the other accumulator pipes

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Snrnd

Buick Ownership
04 LeSabre
have you been under the pan? the clip is pulled away, then you pull out the line then pull it out the other way. then slip in.

The hose is still there on the OE. If you want to get the clamp, go ahead, im just saying its simpler and not stressing the other accumulator pipes
Nope haven't gotten that far yet, probably can't get to it until this weekend

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Nope haven't gotten that far yet, probably can't get to it until this weekend
how many miles?
Low? Been serviced? If its been serviced well and no issues or low mileage etc, i wouldnt worry about needing to replace it
but you still wouldnt be unwise
Technically you can do both

Snrnd

Buick Ownership
04 LeSabre
how many miles?
Low? Been serviced? If its been serviced well and no issues or low mileage etc, i wouldnt worry about needing to replace it
but you still wouldnt be unwise
Technically you can do both
182k, shifting issues only so installing the kit. No issues experienced with differential

lbear

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration

So one can do the AC Delco 24243134 line replacement OR the Sonnax line clamp but doesn't need to do BOTH.

Is that correct?

I got the AC Delco line replacement and plan on doing that line replacement once I drop the pan for a fluid/filter change. So one side the clip needs to be removed and the other side is just friction fit?

Snrnd

Buick Ownership
04 LeSabre
So one can do the AC Delco 24243134 line replacement OR the Sonnax line clamp but doesn't need to do BOTH.

Is that correct?

I got the AC Delco line replacement and plan on doing that line replacement once I drop the pan for a fluid/filter change. So one side the clip needs to be removed and the other side is just friction fit?
I have that same question. I can get both parts for 15 bucks, so not worried about the cost, but if it's only necessary to do one I'd rather do that. Let me know how it goes, if you don't mind!

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership

Is that correct?

I mean, I would do the line personally and not the clamp but yes that should work
but if the hose fails or the clamps fail, you still could have the problem just its reduced with the clamp. the hose would prevent it

And there is the possibility the housing cover needs to come off, depends on how snug it fits and how much give it has i guess

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
f5b88924349421ed85b196a47730cb07.jpg IMG_2917.jpg
if it helps, this is why I am so eager about it and saying if youre in there, do it.

lbear

I mean, I would do the line personally and not the clamp but yes that should work
but if the hose fails or the clamps fail, you still could have the problem just its reduced with the clamp. the hose would prevent it

And there is the possibility the housing cover needs to come off, depends on how snug it fits and how much give it has i guess

Do you recommend putting in the TransGo 4T65e shift kit even if there are no problems with the trans? Most people will install the shift kit AFTER they get the hard shift or code but is it better/okay to install it if the trans is shifting without issues?

SAYBER

Buick Ownership
2003 buick lesabre custom
Do you recommend putting in the TransGo 4T65e shift kit even if there are no problems with the trans? Most people will install the shift kit AFTER they get the hard shift or code but is it better/okay to install it if the trans is shifting without issues?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Good old rule of thumb.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
IF you keep up on the intervals, nothing to suspect in the pan, and you reset your TAP and replace the line + magnets

I would say the trans go kit is good ONLY if higher mileage and earlier year

because of the 1-2 shift wearing out that clutch I believe is a pre 2004 problem a lot even when taken care of. if the mileage aint there, i wouldnt

lbear

IF you keep up on the intervals, nothing to suspect in the pan, and you reset your TAP and replace the line + magnets

I would say the trans go kit is good ONLY if higher mileage and earlier year

because of the 1-2 shift wearing out that clutch I believe is a pre 2004 problem a lot even when taken care of. if the mileage aint there, i wouldnt

Mine is a 2004 with 84k miles. I have the 2 magnets and did the reset. I did a fluid change to Dex VI and filter about 2k miles ago.

I just got the new Dorman metal pan with drain plug from Amazon. So while doing that, I figured I would do the line replacement.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Mine is a 2004 with 84k miles. I have the 2 magnets and did the reset. I did a fluid change to Dex VI and filter about 2k miles ago.

I just got the new Dorman metal pan with drain plug from Amazon. So while doing that, I figured I would do the line replacement.
id say youre probably better off than most people literally ever with a 4t65e

especially me ;(

SAYBER

Buick Ownership
2003 buick lesabre custom

I'd switch back to dex3...other stuff is too thick