Shift Solenoid Replacement

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Did the accumulator spring swap. Not too hard of a job. Just went slow and all went well. The accumulator bolts are 97 inch pounds for the torque setting in case anyone wants to know.

Now I know WHY the Dorman trans pan drain plug was leaking. I put some Permatex thread sealer on the drain plug and the sealant came up through the bung gap, as seen below:

QUESTION: Run it as is or maybe put some Ultra Grey around that bung area to help seal it? Maybe the Permatex thread sealer will fill thr gap to prevent the leak?

Otherwise, I have to find another Dorman trans pan but I need to install it for now to run the car again.

View attachment 40216
I would do an epoxy personally

lbear

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration
I used just the shift kit. I felt the difference before I got to the end of my block.

Same here. After the install, I noticed the instant 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Before, the shifts were drawn out and longer than they should be. The shift kit fixed this and the new shifts are not harsh, just instant like they should have been from the factory.

Not sure why GM decided to program the 4t65e like that. Transmissions that prolong the shifts, just end up eating up the clutches over time. An instant quick shift will make the clutches last longer. Any performance built trans will have an instant shift. Doesn't have to be harsh but just instant.

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Same here. After the install, I noticed the instant 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Before, the shifts were drawn out and longer than they should be. The shift kit fixed this and the new shifts are not harsh, just instant like they should have been from the factory.

Not sure why GM decided to program the 4t65e like that. Transmissions that prolong the shifts, just end up eating up the clutches over time. An instant quick shift will make the clutches last longer. Any performance built trans will have an instant shift. Doesn't have to be harsh but just instant.
Did you reset the TAP as I have pointed out more than once
An instant quick shift sometimes also means gm torque abuse sometimes has to come into play(reducing power) but ultimately its harsh people want smooth, crisp, and harsh things dont do that. Although that means no excuse for non luxury uses for the 3.8 and 4t65e

lbear

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration
Did you reset the TAP as I have pointed out more than once
An instant quick shift sometimes also means gm torque abuse sometimes has to come into play(reducing power) but ultimately its harsh people want smooth, crisp, and harsh things dont do that. Although that means no excuse for non luxury uses for the 3.8 and 4t65e

Yes, I disconnected the negative battery terminal for at least 24 hours.

Trans shifted a lot better with the new shift kit from TransGo.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Yes, I disconnected the negative battery terminal for at least 24 hours.

Trans shifted a lot better with the new shift kit from TransGo.
and the tap. the repair worked well because with the new springs which put up a mound of dirt, and the TAP reset was like putting a retaining wall for that dirt. Odd example, but that was the first idea how to explain it. The old pressure adapts wouldnt have worked at all for your repair since it would still be trying to shift like nothing changed(Fluid, SPrings, etc)

02LTD

Long Island NY
Buick Ownership
2002 Lesabre Limited
and the tap. the repair worked well because with the new springs which put up a mound of dirt, and the TAP reset was like putting a retaining wall for that dirt. Odd example, but that was the first idea how to explain it. The old pressure adapts wouldnt have worked at all for your repair since it would still be trying to shift like nothing changed(Fluid, SPrings, etc)
Funny that I didn’t reset my TAP and it worked fine. Weak accumulator springs are the reason the shifts get slow and subsequently the computer compensates by increasing line pressure to max. Easy.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Funny that I didn’t reset my TAP and it worked fine.
im glad it worked fine, thanks for sharing.

Sometimes I just try and be apart of something as well.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (17).gif

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!