Sometime Cruise won't resume or set 2022 Buick Encore GX Select

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
So we took ours in a couple weeks ago and they replaced the front camera module under warranty. Fixed it for a bit it seemed, then it just started acting up again. Called and it goes in back in next Monday. Starting to get pissed. We're taking this thing on a 1500 mile road trip in a month and I'm NOT doing that without cruise on a brand new car.

tl1957

Buick Ownership
Encore GX select awd
So we took ours in a couple weeks ago and they replaced the front camera module under warranty. Fixed it for a bit it seemed, then it just started acting up again. Called and it goes in back in next Monday. Starting to get pissed. We're taking this thing on a 1500 mile road trip in a month and I'm NOT doing that without cruise on a brand new car.

We took ours in to closer warranty service center , and they recalibrated the BCM and said it was fixed . Didn't give me a chance to try it out after the mechanic worked on it .
It acted up when I tried it out , for 10 minutes.
So I had to set up another appointment .
Then the the car went in limp mode for 5 minutes a few days later , cruise wouldn't set to a new speed - just increased the set speed by 1km per press , auto stop didn't work .
I went back in and gave them a list of problems this time , then the clerk was laid off and hadn't given the list to the other clerk , when I arrived for my 2nd appointment.
They suggested that we may not have the car in drive , that's why it wouldn't go ahead - what a insulting suggestion.
They said talk to the sales department , to explain how to operate the car -- I got a bit frustrated and said it wasn't working correctly , it needs to be fixed.
They also asked why I was so fault finding this time , since I didn't mention the problems before - I said the problems weren't happening before the first service call .
They kept saying if a scan didn't show a problem , I would have to pay to have it looked at , and were giving me a hard time , and didn't want to look at it .
If no scan codes showed up and they said they couldn't do anything - gm wouldn't pay them ?????????????
They said the cruise wasn't working because I was messing with it too much , and it was a safety mode the car went into that was causing the cruise issue , which is normal.
I was so called messing - setting cruise , braking , resuming , resetting , until it froze , to show them what it was doing , since it may or may not act up during a trip .
No codes showed up but I didn't have to pay anything , thought .
It looks like I'll have to leave it at the dealer I purchased it from , 200 miles away , for a few days , and get a loaner . They better not say " we haven't done anything to it - it's working ok ". They had another vehicle with the same problem and were going to replace the brake pedal assembly.
I hope you are successful getting yours fixed , and not getting the run around.
Bye for now

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
Still fighting ours on this. Scheduled for 3rd trip in next week.

First time, they replaced the adaptive cruise camera module. Didn't do anything.

The second time, the tech managed to get it to act up and hooked up a computer while it did it, but wasn't getting any useful info. He ended up activating the "Following Distance" menu in the gauge cluster and said that should fix it. I was annoyed when I heard that since it's completely irrelevant and just an info screen. Moron. It ended up failing again on the way home from the dealer.

I'm starting to get annoyed. We love the car, but this is our road trip vehicle, and in 2022, a new vehicle should have functioning cruise control. Problem is there's nothing else we'd want to replace it with.

We've had it in our possession for 2 1/2 months. It's been in for 3 days on 2 fix attempts already with #3 coming next week.

They better actually do something this time. The service department at mine is full of guys who look like they're one stop away from a nursing home, so I don't exactly have the most faith in them managing to figure out something like this.

tl1957

Buick Ownership
Encore GX select awd
Still fighting ours on this. Scheduled for 3rd trip in next week.

First time, they replaced the adaptive cruise camera module. Didn't do anything.

The second time, the tech managed to get it to act up and hooked up a computer while it did it, but wasn't getting any useful info. He ended up activating the "Following Distance" menu in the gauge cluster and said that should fix it. I was annoyed when I heard that since it's completely irrelevant and just an info screen. Moron. It ended up failing again on the way home from the dealer.

I'm starting to get annoyed. We love the car, but this is our road trip vehicle, and in 2022, a new vehicle should have functioning cruise control. Problem is there's nothing else we'd want to replace it with.

We've had it in our possession for 2 1/2 months. It's been in for 3 days on 2 fix attempts already with #3 coming next week.

They better actually do something this time. The service department at mine is full of guys who look like they're one stop away from a nursing home, so I don't exactly have the most faith in them managing to figure out something like this.
I found our ours doesn't have adaptive cruise - or it doesn't work and they said it doesn't have it - so they wouldn't have to fix it or explain how it works - cruise I'm not concerned adaptive cruise - it's about when the cruise won't set / resume sometimes after disengaging by applying the brake usually . Some times it won't work again until the next day , sometime it will work again after the car it turned off .

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
I found our ours doesn't have adaptive cruise - or it doesn't work and they said it doesn't have it - so they wouldn't have to fix it or explain how it works - cruise I'm not concerned adaptive cruise - it's about when the cruise won't set / resume sometimes after disengaging by applying the brake usually . Some times it won't work again until the next day , sometime it will work again after the car it turned off .
Ours does the exact same thing, but when the cruise doesn't want to set or resume, it takes down both the regular and adaptive cruise at the same time.

At this point, I wouldn't care if the adaptive got permanently disabled and they refunded us some of the cost of that option if it meant the regular cruise worked 100% of the time.

Ours will sometimes start working again on the same drive after acouple minutes. Other times, it's down for the day.

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
Alright, so ours went back into the shop today. I managed to get a video on the way in when it started acting up to show the tech what was going on:

Apparently, between the service writer and the tech, the fact that both the regular and adaptive cruises were going offline was getting lost in translation. The tech had me email him that video directly and got to work.

Got a call after 2 hours from the dealer where they let me know they believe they determined it to be the brake pedal switch being faulty, where any bump or touching the brake pedal could cause it to fault and lead to this issue. They have the replacement switch on order and it is supposed to be in tomorrow.

Fingers crossed we get this finally taken care of.

tl1957

Buick Ownership
Encore GX select awd
They wouldn't replace my brake pedal switch / position sensor because no code was displayed - so thinking it may be that , I bought a new one and had it installed , and it worked ok for a day and then back to the same problem . The private mechanic I went too , thinks it is the BCM module/ computer , but it costs too much to replace out of my pocket , I haven't taken it to another GM service center ( where I bought the car ) , yet , I have to leave it 2-3 days and use a loaner , 200 miles away . Good luck

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
So I think they got to the bottom of this for us finally. The BCM amd PCM were reading different positions for the completely released brake pedal. BCM was reading 0%, PCM was reading 4%. The fault was in the brake position sensor, so they went ahead and replaced that, along eith the coupling between the master cylinder push rod, and the brake pedal.

So far so good, I'll be back in a while if it's still good, or if anything changes.

tl1957

Buick Ownership
Encore GX select awd
They replaced the sensor and the coupling between the brake pedal and the master cylinder push rod. Correct?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

tl1957

Buick Ownership
Encore GX select awd
Thanks , good luck , thanks for your communication , I hope GM relays the fix to the other dealers - and they realize , there is a problem .
They said they had ordered a brake pedal assembly , to address the problem , for another customer , months ago , and it hadn't arrived yet .
I assume the coupling was easily obtained within a short time?

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
Thanks , good luck , thanks for your communication , I hope GM relays the fix to the other dealers - and they realize , there is a problem .
They said they had ordered a brake pedal assembly , to address the problem , for another customer , months ago , and it hadn't arrived yet .
I assume the coupling was easily obtained within a short time?
It took them 2 days to get all the necessary parts. We dropped it off Wednesday and picked it up Friday

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
Well, so much for that.

Driving home yesterday from downtown and cruise went out again. Shortly after, I got a CEL as well. P057C: Brake Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Low. Back to the shop she goes!

So excited to have to trust this thing for a 2200 mile roadtrip in 11 days...

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
Well, so much for that.

Driving home yesterday from downtown and cruise went out again. Shortly after, I got a CEL as well. P057C: Brake Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit Low. Back to the shop she goes!

So excited to have to trust this thing for a 2200 mile roadtrip in 11 days...
Hooo boy, do we have a fun update:

So We dropped it off yesterday morning for them to look at. Didn't hear a peep all day since they had no clue where to start, and were waiting on corporate GM tech support for directions on what to test. Didn't do a single thing, so they had to keep it overnight.

Got a call from them first thing this morning, and they said GM has instructed them to replace the entire brake pedal assembly (including the sensor for a second time), and then having to replace the entire harness that connects to the brake pedal assembly and its sensors/switches. Replacing that harness involves pulling the entire dash out. Supposedly this is a somewhat common problem on Encore GXs according to what GM's techs told the dealer.

And to top it all off, the assembly and harness are on backorder for an unknown amount of time. They're going to give us back the gimped car to use until the parts come in.

We leave for a 2200 mile roadtrip in 9 days. I am livid right now...

velociraptorfarmer

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence AWD
So, turns out there's a notice from GM that this is a somewhat common and known issue. It's not a service bulletin, but whatever is just below that, and that there is a known fix for it. Something to do with the wiring harness being faulty. It's common enough that there's a national shortage of harnesses and they're on backorder, along with the brake pedal assemblies.

In addition, I looked over the service order, and turns out there were a bunch of other codes besides just the brake pedal one. P0341 Intake cam position sensor issue, P18C2 HOD Status Message Counter Incorrect, along with the P057C Brake Pedal Position Sensor and P0703 Brake Switch Signal codes.

Been on the phone and messaging the dealer we bought it from, dealer we service it through, and corporate GM/Buick all morning. Got a case made and escalated to a senior advisor at GM. I don't trust this thing on a roadtrip, let alone going over Loveland Pass twice and spending a week at over 9000' elevation.

tl1957

Buick Ownership
Encore GX select awd
We called GM about our problems , and got someone who couldn't speak or understand english , some Syrian probably , and spent 1/2 hr explaining our problem , and we said there was a know fix for it .They had no clue, and said they would hand it to someone Monday, and they would call us back .
Then we got and email back from our purchasing dealer , and they finally told me , that after some time , trial and probably error , they had fixed another one with the same problem .We called them and they said they had to replace the wiring harness and the brake pedal assembly on the other customers vehicle , and I would have to have ours looked at to determine if ours has the same fault ???????????? , it has since the day I bought it .
So we also will have to wait for backordered parts , if they order them , and now the retrofit for the heated seats and back up sensors is delayed until late fall or early winter .
I'm not taking it back to a local dealer , who was rude , wanted to charge for a scan if nothing showed , said if no code now work GM wouldn't pay for it , the wife probably didn't have it in drive when it lost engine power once , said we didn't know how to use the car , told me I was messing with the car too much - I was braking while in cruise to show them what was happening etccccccc.
I've had less problems and frustration with 5 - 15 yr old used vehicles.
If this is common for new car buyers , something has got to change . Hope another mfg starts stressing service , maybe GM will smarten up , or go out of business.
Have fun , hope you get to go on your trip.
Bye for now