• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Sunshade fell apart

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I try not to open or close mine unless it's been in the sun or the temp is over 50 degrees just to be safe...
I only have mine fully open or fully closed, not halfway, othewise it flutters with the air flow, I figured that might not be good for it.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
My daughter asks me to open and close this thing pretty often on drives. So... hoping it either never has an issue or fails during warranty.

Can probably use the scraps as a blanket for her if it shreds.

Rueme

Buick Lifer
Colorado
Buick Ownership
Buick 2018 TourX Essence
So Monday I took my TourX into a dealer outside of Denver, we just moved here. Had the oil changed and asked them to check the weatherstripping on the sunroof inside. It looked like in one area the glue dried out and they looked at it, displaced more of it and told me they can’t fix it, I need a whole new pano roof and it will be here in three weeks and it will take two days to replace. I’m thinking maybe I fix this myself. It’s just a small gasket that hooks on and has some adhesive added on

DanP

Buick Ownership
Prospective TourX owner
Can you just leave the sunshade open and not have to worry about it? I rarely close my shade in my Mazda cus what's the point of having a sunroof if you're not gonna let the sun in. Really want the pano roof but these horror stories are making me think twice and I found a car with everything but it recently.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Can you just leave the sunshade open and not have to worry about it? I rarely close my shade in my Mazda cus what's the point of having a sunroof if you're not gonna let the sun in. Really want the pano roof but these horror stories are making me think twice and I found a car with everything but it recently.
It becomes an issue when it is in the summer and have to park under the blazing sun.

DanP

Buick Ownership
Prospective TourX owner
It becomes an issue when it is in the summer and have to park under the blazing sun.
What about putting a dark tint on the glass then. Can the sunroof not operate if the shade is missing? I'm tempted to buy one and just preemptively rip the shade out.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
What about putting a dark tint on the glass then. Can the sunroof not operate if the shade is missing? I'm tempted to buy one and just preemptively rip the shade out.
I remember someone here mentioned do NOT ever tint the moonroof.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I remember someone here mentioned do NOT ever tint the moonroof.
I had the large sunroof in my previous Forster tinted and never had a problem. Most of the time it works ok if the installer knows what they are doing and are careful. Tint places that do it will typically warn the customer about possibility glass could crack.

RickC0369

Buick Ownership
TourX
My 10.5k mile 18’ Essence just regurgitated it’s panoramic shade yesterday.
This car has spent its entire life in a garage, but it IS south VA/north NC, so summers do get hot, and the shade got opened regularly so I guess I was ‘asking for it’... I have also noticed the massive fluttering when the windows are down, but I do make it a point to roll it up whenever the windows drop.
Anyway, the sound of the fabric ripping when I tried closing the shade was visceral—it startled me for a second—and then I watched the front bow work it’s way forward, alone, leaving the sunshade hanging and looking like a dirty bedsheet...ooh I was PISSED!
The fabric is pinched tight somewhere in the right rear quadrant of the rail—hope the glass doesn’t have to come out!
My experience with Buick dealers has been strained, and don’t think I’ll be nearly as pleasant if they can’t fix this issue correctly.
R

remmy

Hampton, VA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I haven’t told the wife about this potential problem because I don’t want her to get stressed out (400 miles left on warranty) but every time I see her open and close it willy nilly I cringe on the inside.

RickC0369

Buick Ownership
TourX
Update on my sunshade nightmare:
After 3 weeks, I was finally seen at the local dealership. They say: “yep, the sunshade mechanism needs to be replaced and it’s going to be a few weeks to get the part in, and the car will have to go to an upholstery shop to be repaired, and we have to make an appointment with the shop to see when it is they can fit your car in their schedule...”
What. Is. This?
Today I’m told the upholstery shop is booked solid until mid-August...that’s roughly 9 weeks, folks. If you bother to look at my previous posts on this forum, you’ll agree that I can’t win with Buick regarding timely repairs.
A black-on-black wagon with a glass roof and no sunshade used June through August is problematic in Southside Virginia, to say the least. That left me with no choice but to uncork what’s left of the sunshade and McGyver-it into place so I can at least drive without roasting inside the car...effin’ ridiculous.
On the bright side, I now have seen what a strange and trouble-prone system GM used to power the sunshade.
Yeesh!

Off-topic question:
On the lower left-rear control arm there is a suspension position mechanism (sending ride height/suspension position information to a module?) that seems to be operational. I know the Opel variant had electronic suspension control, but why would Buick leave the mechanisms in place and not offer it as an option for us?!

Attachments

• 7154BBCD-BE35-47F4-8F03-92F59FA9F47B.jpeg
    7154BBCD-BE35-47F4-8F03-92F59FA9F47B.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20D05A59-CC22-4F51-983A-9041C5E49A88.jpeg
    20D05A59-CC22-4F51-983A-9041C5E49A88.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 19
  • E907CC74-AFFA-4104-A954-B4EB42C61C9A.jpeg
    E907CC74-AFFA-4104-A954-B4EB42C61C9A.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 20

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
U

Off-topic question:
On the lower left-rear control arm there is a suspension position mechanism (sending ride height/suspension position information to a module?) that seems to be operational. I know the Opel variant had electronic suspension control, but why would Buick leave the mechanisms in place and not offer it as an option for us?!
I belive the sensor is used for automatic headlight leveling.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners