• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2.0T LTG Performance Mods

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
You cannot tell me you won't see any performance change by not changing the intake after installing a larger turbo, that is just not true. You are just going to leave some horsepower on the table that could have easily been had.
Also changing stock intake over to a CAI on the stock engine provides such a small improvement that a tune is not even worth it. In fact the CIA is not even worth it unless it is going along with other supporting mods because the OEM airbox is designed to flow enough air for the stock engine.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
You are correct. What I should have said is if the intake and exhaust are maxed out in air flow volume, installing a larger turbo or higher flowing heads won't give the engine any more power without installing a higher flowing intake and exhaust.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
We already have a ‘cold air intake’ anyway. There is a tube that runs from the front of the car into the air box.

Most ‘cold air intakes’ are just a big dumb filter pulling hot air from the engine bay. As such, they should be called hot air intakes.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Since air flow in and out of the engine is limited by the intake and exhaust, then according to you a tune is needed. Thanks for confirming what I have been saying all along. :thumpsup:

You can add a bigger turbo and higher flowing heads, but if you don't improve the airflow of the intake and exhaust the engine won't make any more power. This is why people install a higher flowing intake and exhaust then tune the engine. :driving:
I said and not or ...but you can rationalize being right any way you want.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
Modern fuel systems will compensate for any airflow differences in airbox or filter. Not like in old days when carbjets needed to be altered for increased airflow, to get correct air mixture.
an O2 sensor is going to take the place of the MAF?

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
On my WRX, GTI and GLI, all 2.0 Direct Injection Turbos the intake was the last place to make a mod unless you wanted to have to tune it immediately. The biggest gains came from changing the charge pipe (intake side between turbo or intercooler and throttle body) and the down pipe (connects the turbo to the catalytic converter). The LTG has mods for the down pipe but I've only seen them for the RWD platform vehicles.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
Yes, I assume the biggest bang for your buck would be a downpipe and tune. I'm not going that route until the car is out of warranty.

Just a guess here...If one was to swap the turbo...a fuel pump, injectors and larger intercooler would also be needed?

I have a stage 2 Forester XT, which is a very fun wagon.

gmguy83

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal sportback
New to the forum, and found this post. I've been experimenting with my 18 regal. so, the regal is pretty much the same as the 2016+ ltg malibu .
-I've ordered the zzp 16+ malibu catless o2 housing, which should be a direct fit, which i will confirm when i receive it. i have found no exhaust options, but the stock main pipe is 2.5" and the y-pipe in the rear is 2.25, which should be able to flow well enough for a reasonably high power level if resonator is removed and mufflers are changed/deleted ( testing exhaust sound with the center pipe unbolted and hanging, the exhaust really wasn't too loud or obnoxious).
-The 2016+malibu k&n or aem intake should bolt right up, and both have heat shields sealed against the hood, which i will confirm with the k&n soon. I know the stock airbox should flow adequately, but i've never seen filter issues with k&n other than when people don't clean or oil the properly.
-I've already installed the jacfab boost-o-lator which is a plunger modification for the stock bypass valve. very easy install with a 1/4 inch u-joint and ball head allen. didn't really feel a difference, as i doubt my butt-dyno accuracy.
-There are a few companies that offer turbo upgrades for the ltg, which should work the same in the 18+ ltg engines also, other than a lack of tuning options as of yet.
- I've also ordered a tune/tuner from IPF tuning which i will confirm if it works or not when I receive it. I contacted them and they claim it works for the 18 regal 2.0, and claimed they can do options such as deleting p0420 dtc or disabling start/stop system.
I'm hoping this all works out well, but being a gm tech, i'm sure i can rectify the situation if an issue arises with these mods.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Lol. CAI needs a heat shield? How ironic.

Wish I would have thought up that ‘performance’ part. I’d be rolling in dough.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Welcome to the forum gmguy. It seems like you have it covered on what mods are available for the 2.0 LTG. It will be interesting to see how much more power you can squeeze out of this motor.

Just a guess here...If one was to swap the turbo...a fuel pump, injectors and larger intercooler would also be needed?
According to the thread below, the stock intercooler is sufficient for a larger turbo. The stock fuel pump delivers 2,250 psi so that will sufficient also. So higher flowing injectors should be all you would need.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
Lol. CAI needs a heat shield? How ironic.

Wish I would have thought up that ‘performance’ part. I’d be rolling in dough.
I have a COBB CAI (with box) on my Fozzy, my temps are pretty much the same.
I'm a whore for turbo noises, heck it sounds better than a BOV

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I have a COBB CAI (with box) on my Fozzy, my temps are pretty much the same.
I'm a whore for turbo noises, heck it sounds better than a BOV
I just play sounds from a Pratt & Whitney J58 through my Bose system instead of music. Makes me feel supersonic, even with auto-stop on.

gmguy83

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal sportback
I hope to see some decent number with all this, IPF is claiming 287whp and 353wtq with their tune and similar mods, but im at 5000ft elevation, so i always get gyped on dyno runs. I really want the k&n for the noise too.
i dount ill be needing any fuel upgrades until it comes time for a bigger turbo though.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I hope to see some decent number with all this, IPF is claiming 287whp and 353wtq with their tune and similar mods, but im at 5000ft elevation, so i always get gyped on dyno runs. I really want the k&n for the noise too.
i dount ill be needing any fuel upgrades until it comes time for a bigger turbo though.
Those are some solid numbers.

Do we know what the driveline components can handle? I’d hope that we’d have some wiggle room to go bigger without the need to go too deep.

gmguy83

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal sportback
Those are some solid numbers.

Do we know what the driveline components can handle? I’d hope that we’d have some wiggle room to go bigger without the need to go too deep.
Im not sure about the 8 or 9 speeds capabilities. They appear to use similar clutch packs setups as the 6 speeds, so i would assume programming to shift with higher pressures should be able to handle some decent power. Im not sure about availability for trans tuning yet though. As for the transfer case, driveline, and rear diff, hopefully I'll find out soon if they can take it.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
As for the transfer case, driveline, and rear diff, hopefully I'll find out soon if they can take it.
Definitely keep us posted! If a tune and a couple bolt-on upgrades can eek out more power and not cause things to break, this car gets even better.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I'm sure the drivetrain can handle it. My car has the Halidex AWD system and the Trifecta tune hasn't caused any broken parts in 4 years of hard driving.
480Nm= 354 ft-lb is the Transmission rating. Aisin 8-Speed FWD Transaxles - Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, GM (AWF8F45) The TourX has a GKN, AWD drivetrain, Twinster AWD System, not a Halidex. I would be really pleased if the Trifecta tune can reach 350 lb-ft flywheel torque. Be serious, besides myself, how may will even add a tune, never mind boosting the motor much beyond what say a stock Camaro 2.0 LTG. I plan no mods besides a tune, maybe tires. A honest bump of say 35 HP & 45-50 lb-ft and crisping up the tranny logic is worth the cost of a tune, as long as there is no downside other than warranty risk.
Anyone interested in approaching Trifecta with a group buy letter of intent?

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
new to the tune game.
What would it typically cost, assuming just the "tune only"? (if that's even possible)