2.0T LTG Performance Mods

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I hope to see some decent number with all this, IPF is claiming 287whp and 353wtq with their tune and similar mods, but im at 5000ft elevation, so i always get gyped on dyno runs. I really want the k&n for the noise too.
I doubt I'll be needing any fuel upgrades until it comes time for a bigger turbo though.
gmguy83,
Are you an early adopter of the IBF Tune? Please fill us in on the details.
2017+ Buick Regal 2.0L LTG Turbo Tune
https://www.ipf-tuning.com/vehicle/buick/regal/
I wonder how well IPF sorts out their tunes? RWP stock of 251 seems suspicious.

Thank you

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
We already have a ‘cold air intake’ anyway. There is a tube that runs from the front of the car into the air box.

Most ‘cold air intakes’ are just a big dumb filter pulling hot air from the engine bay. As such, they should be called hot air intakes.
I completely agree on CAIs here, and have seen countless dynos of cars actually losing power over stock intake setups. As you said earlier, the factory pieces flow very well and have come a long way since the 80/90s.

New to the forum, and found this post. I've been experimenting with my 18 regal. so, the regal is pretty much the same as the 2016+ ltg malibu .
-I've ordered the zzp 16+ malibu catless o2 housing, which should be a direct fit, which i will confirm when i receive it. i have found no exhaust options, but the stock main pipe is 2.5" and the y-pipe in the rear is 2.25, which should be able to flow well enough for a reasonably high power level if resonator is removed and mufflers are changed/deleted ( testing exhaust sound with the center pipe unbolted and hanging, the exhaust really wasn't too loud or obnoxious).
-The 2016+malibu k&n or aem intake should bolt right up, and both have heat shields sealed against the hood, which i will confirm with the k&n soon. I know the stock airbox should flow adequately, but i've never seen filter issues with k&n other than when people don't clean or oil the properly.
-I've already installed the jacfab boost-o-lator which is a plunger modification for the stock bypass valve. very easy install with a 1/4 inch u-joint and ball head allen. didn't really feel a difference, as i doubt my butt-dyno accuracy.
-There are a few companies that offer turbo upgrades for the ltg, which should work the same in the 18+ ltg engines also, other than a lack of tuning options as of yet.
- I've also ordered a tune/tuner from IPF tuning which i will confirm if it works or not when I receive it. I contacted them and they claim it works for the 18 regal 2.0, and claimed they can do options such as deleting p0420 dtc or disabling start/stop system.
I'm hoping this all works out well, but being a gm tech, i'm sure i can rectify the situation if an issue arises with these mods.
Can’t wait to hear about the ZZP DP! Is your regal awd? I spoke to them and they weren’t certain of fitment on my TourX. I was going to buy their awd caddy Dp and just cut it up if I had to.

BTW- HPTuners, probably the most widely used platform by many of these tuning companies, has access to our cars. It’s ecoensive, allegedly due to the difficulty of accessing the ecu (4 credits vs 2 normally), and there are separate engine and trans tunes (again, another 4 credits). Tuner cost being about $200 for each, just for the access. I’m looking forward to doing both shortly, but would like to get the mods sorted out first.

gmguy83

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal sportback
gmguy83,
Are you an early adopter of the IBF Tune? Please fill us in on the details.
2017+ Buick Regal 2.0L LTG Turbo Tune
Buick Regal Tunes – IPF Tuning
I wonder how well IPF sorts out their tunes? RWP stock of 251 seems suspicious.

Thank you
That is the tune i ordered, which they claim works on the 18 regals. Im hoping it works well, but just ordered it.
as for hptuner, i checked a few days ago and the 18 still wasnt supported. If it was i would go that route as i already have an hptuner.

gmguy83

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal sportback
I completely agree on CAIs here, and have seen countless dynos of cars actually losing power over stock intake setups. As you said earlier, the factory pieces flow very well and have come a long way since the 80/90s.

Can’t wait to hear about the ZZP DP! Is your regal awd? I spoke to them and they weren’t certain of fitment on my TourX. I was going to buy their awd caddy Dp and just cut it up if I had to.

BTW- HPTuners, probably the most widely used platform by many of these tuning companies, has access to our cars. It’s ecoensive, allegedly due to the difficulty of accessing the ecu (4 credits vs 2 normally), and there are separate engine and trans tunes (again, another 4 credits). Tuner cost being about $200 for each, just for the access. I’m looking forward to doing both shortly, but would like to get the mods sorted out first.
Mine is awd, so i figured ill try to fit the zzp 02 housing and if anything needs modified, i could do that. But i have a good feeling that it will straight bolt up.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
That is the tune i ordered, which they claim works on the 18 regals. Im hoping it works well, but just ordered it.
as for hptuner, i checked a few days ago and the 18 still wasnt supported. If it was i would go that route as i already have an hptuner.
You spoke with HP directly? ZZP and a good friend who’s a big local tuner both told me 17+ is supported

gmguy83

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal sportback
You spoke with HP directly? ZZP and a good friend who’s a big local tuner both told me 17+ is supported
No, i just went on the website, and the supported vehicle list doesnt have the 18 regal yet. So they're saying it is supported though? I may hook up the hptuner and see if it works later then.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The basic Trifecta tune for a stock motor is $400 and the advanced tune that can be matched to your mods is $700. They supply the connection cable but you need a laptop to load the tune.

480Nm= 354 ft-lb is the Transmission rating. Aisin 8-Speed FWD Transaxles - Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, GM (AWF8F45) The TourX has a GKN, AWD drivetrain, Twinster AWD System, not a Halidex. I would be really pleased if the Trifecta tune can reach 350 lb-ft flywheel torque. Be serious, besides myself, how may will even add a tune, never mind boosting the motor much beyond what say a stock Camaro 2.0 LTG. I plan no mods besides a tune, maybe tires. A honest bump of say 35 HP & 45-50 lb-ft and crisping up the tranny logic is worth the cost of a tune, as long as there is no downside other than warranty risk.
Anyone interested in approaching Trifecta with a group buy letter of intent?
I know that and it's supposed to be better than the Halidex which is why I used it as a comparison. The Trifecta tune claims to make about 300hp and 350tq at the flywheel.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
No, i just went on the website, and the supported vehicle list doesnt have the 18 regal yet. So they're saying it is supported though? I may hook up the hptuner and see if it works later then.
Yes, I believe all GMs 17+ have the new ecu. My friend Barone Tuning just did a 18 corvette zr1. If you do plug in, please let us know!

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'd be up for a tune that works with a completely stock vehicle. Not too interested in changing out parts at this juncture of the car's life, but an engine and transmission tune would be excellent.

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I'd be up for a tune that works with a completely stock vehicle. Not too interested in changing out parts at this juncture of the car's life, but an engine and transmission tune would be excellent.
Yes I agree. I bet there’s a ton left on the table just tuning for 93 fuel and torque management. The trans tune I’m also looking very forward to, I’m not in love with the 8 speed at the moment.

Totally off topic, but is that a Caddy I spy in that super tiny avatar?!?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Yes I agree. I bet there’s a ton left on the table just tuning for 93 fuel and torque management. The trans tune I’m also looking very forward to, I’m not in love with the 8 speed at the moment.

Totally off topic, but is that a Caddy I spy in that super tiny avatar?!?
You spy correctly! 1980 Caddy that I'm building a TDI for. :)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
an O2 sensor is going to take the place of the MAF?
Not sure if you realize a change to cold air intake is like a placebo, although if you think it works it will be louder.
The benefit of modern well designed FI is it has adjustability for changes even for stupid mods like CAI, unless you just order cleanable filter which you can just drop in stock vehicle airbox which makes more sense.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Not sure if you realize a change to cold air intake is like a placebo, although if you think it works it will be louder.
The benefit of modern well designed FI is it has adjustability for changes even for stupid mods like CAI, unless you just order cleanable filter which you can just drop in stock vehicle airbox which makes more sense.
This is basically my opinion. Cars do realize a small percent increase, but without the tune that's as much a you can expect to get from a CAI [and really wouldn't be much more sans tune than a high flow filter].

An oiled K&N in the stock box with a tune will yield similar results to a CAI with tune. The air box isn't restrictive enough/is not the weakest link. Most air boxes pull cooler air from lower in front of the vehicle, so unless the CAI solution pipes and boxes in that cooler air (those heat shields help but really aren't comparable), the stock air box offers superior cold air capture.

Last edited:

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
I contacted Bad News Racing because they show a 2018+ Regal LTG tune but TourX isn't currently supported by their system. I haven't followed up as to whether they will add the capability for TourX.

gmguy83

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal sportback
So, the 2016+ malibu k&n filter fits in the regal. Disregarding hp loss or gains, it really brings out the blowoff/bypass valve noise, almost to an absurd point. Not sure if the jacfab bypass modification is adding to it though.

Edit: the jacfab boost-o-lator was stuck. With the oem bypass valve the filter adds a nice touch of blowoff noise.

Attachments

Last edited:

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
No tune?
Was throttle response improved?
can you read the AFR on a hand held device?

like say a COBB accessport

gmguy83

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal sportback
No tune yet, ordered an ipf tune and waiting to hear from them or receive the tuner. Ive read that the larger ltg throttle bodies have increased response with no tune, but torque management really limits what can be done without one. Afr shouldnt be affected much since its not setting any dtcs.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.