BNR tuned 2.0T

Nmveranodude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
OK, so I finally went ahead and replaced the stock air filter with the K&N air filter. First day I noticed right away that the ECU was making adjustments due to a sudden increase or decrease in air flow. Actually, the car started running just like it did on the Trifecta tune (engine wise). I went out and logged a run and it showed a decrease in torque from 325 ft-lbs to 304. I can confirm that by the seat of my pants as I did feel a lack of torque while logging. Also, the power was peaky as opposed to being spread out across the rev range however the engine has picked up some additional power because when it comes on, I'm spinning the front tires while doing 60mph! I did sort of expect this with the K&N as past installs on other cars yielded a slight loss of power down low but increased power up top. Day 2, the ECU has seemed to iron things out with the filter change because now the log is showing torque at 318 versus 304 from yesterday. Engine is running smoother, knock is down from 6.5 to 1.3 and the tranny now seems to run through the lower gears quicker than before. I going to see if Jerry can smooth the power out like it was with the stock air filter but so far the engine pulls a little harder but turbo lag is also a bit worse. Also, for the first time I can hear the BOV which is meaningless for me in this car since it is designed to be whisper quiet. i will see if i can get somewhere and do a run to compare it against the last one. Got into it with a 2015 Dodge Charger Rallye Edition (V6, 300hp)while heading to work this morning. Let's just say I put some distance between him and I in a hurry.
Nice job man good kill, I get back today so I will def be putting my tune on this weekend, I already have the drop in filter so we will see how it runs after the tune, it sucks that his car has zero aftermarket, don't get me wrong I don't want a stupid loud Buick, but maybe a downpipe with a good high flow cat would be nice, or maybe a better intercooler that doesn't heatsoak as quickly,

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Nice job man good kill, I get back today so I will def be putting my tune on this weekend, I already have the drop in filter so we will see how it runs after the tune, it sucks that his car has zero aftermarket, don't get me wrong I don't want a stupid loud Buick, but maybe a downpipe with a good high flow cat would be nice, or maybe a better intercooler that doesn't heatsoak as quickly,
Hey Nmveranodude,

Get with Jerry and have him send you the tune he sent to me for the drop in filter. What he saw from my scan log of the drop in filter was that is was hitting up against the torque limiter and closing the throttle a little. I could tell that the car was holding back by the seat of my pants but it was still slightly faster than the stock filter. He sent me a file which opens up the torque limiter so the throttle won't close and more power can be produced. It makes a noticeable difference as now the car pulls harder than it ever has with the tune. It's almost comical how quick this car is now. :-0

Nmveranodude

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey Nmveranodude,

Get with Jerry and have him send you the tune he sent to me for the drop in filter. What he saw from my scan log of the drop in filter was that is was hitting up against the torque limiter and closing the throttle a little. I could tell that the car was holding back by the seat of my pants but it was still slightly faster than the stock filter. He sent me a file which opens up the torque limiter so the throttle won't close and more power can be produced. It makes a noticeable difference as now the car pulls harder than it ever has with the tune. It's almost comical how quick this car is now. :-0
That's exactly what's happening to mine right now, it doesn't trip any CELs but it gives me an engine power reduced...it pulls much harder then stock for sure, still waiting back with Jerrys second revised tune to see if the issue is fixed.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Who's got the manual transmission? :)

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Peak horsepower won matter too much as you might see the top of the gear twice before shifting on the way to 60 mph. With the torque after a tune and older tires it is difficult to keep it straight at times. :)

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
What kind of 0-60 times are you guys thinking are possible with this tune? It appears an extra 100 foot pounds of torque is being added - about how much horsepower?
Hey Sal,

I was able to get a 0-60 run of 5.9s but it's very tricky due to the extra power that is being sent to the front wheels. What's cool about BNR is that they can tune the car to create a type of launch control mode which I will have to try. As far as horsepower, the EFI software does not directly show horsepower but there are a few variables it does have where if you do a formula, you will arrive at a horsepower number. My numbers are 280awhp/326tq which is the tune and a K&N drop-in filter.

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Royal Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Buick Ownership
None right now

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Yeah, that's the best I could do without the front wheels slamming the ground for traction (wheel hop). I'm sure it could be quicker if you provide the perfect wheel slip on the launch. But you're right, punching the throttle from about 30 on is an experience and it seems to do it effortlessly. My car is VERY quick from a roll and no one suspects it until I nail it on them. Best part though is it drives much better than stock and again the engine does not seem to be working hard at all.

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
These turbo-4's really shine at highway speeds on up to triple digits. The Verano is super quiet so moving at a quick pace is almost electric in acceleration.

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now

BNRacing

Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
Sal if you pick one up let me know. I'll come tune it in person for ya since we're both in Palm Beach :)

-Jerry@BNR

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Jerry,

Have you guys had an opportunity to take a 2.0T Verano to a track with a tune to see what it would run?

Marcus

shawngw

Canada
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Verano Turbo 6spd Manual
I was finally going to pull the trigger and get the tune, but by the time I got an email reply from BNR with an answer to my questions, the 150$ off sale was over :( Anyone know often they come up? Getting screwed by the weak canadian dollar up here.

I'm hoping you get to hear the turbo a bit more with it and a K&N drop in filter. I emailed K&N to see if they were planning on making an intake for the 2.0L anytime soon, since they have one for the Regal and it seems like it would only need to be modified slightly. They said they would submit a product request. Would love to hear the sound the whole package would make.

Also, is a Forge recirc valve still a good idea with this?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.